• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Monitoring Thread £ GBP only

Paul
Message added by ChrisSilver

This topic is to discuss price action in GBP, to discuss price action in $ USD, please see this topic: https://thesilverforum.com/topic/19962-gold-monitoring-thread-usd-only/

📌 For general non PM chat there is the Hangout topic here: 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, dicker said:

What happened today...? Up 1.71pct when I last looked

News from Italy about euro scepticism

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Email received from Bullion By Post

Gold price rallies as Italy threatens to leave the Euro

The price of gold shot up today by more than 2% following claims from one of Italy’s governing parties that it would be better off leaving the Euro, rather than following European Central Bank rules. Gold gained £18.59 per ounce in Sterling to reach £931.16 per ounce, while the price in

US Dollars rose by $17.65 (1.49%) to $1,205.74 - softened by yesterday's trade deal.

Speaking on national radio, Claudio Borghi – responsible for the Lega Party’s economic policy – said: "I am truly convinced that Italy would solve most of its problems if it had its own currency". There are serious concerns over Italy’s commitment to repaying its large debts, with Hamburg's Berenberg Bank citing Italy’s debt as their biggest homegrown risk since 2016. The fear is that Italy's slower approach to debt repayment - instead prioritising public spending - may lead to a bailout, like in Greece, or worse: Italy might even default on their debt and abandon the Euro.

The European markets were down today, with investors quickly switching from stocks to gold bullion ready to protect their funds in the event of any debt crisis. The recent low gold price has made the metal more tempting, with sudden demand resulting in today's price surge. Gold looks set to continue its gains against a weak Pound as business leaders and investors criticise the UK's lack of progress towards a Brexit deal, warning that manufacturing, construction, and even food supplies could all stop until deals are struck.

For us Brits though, the strengthening of sterling is offsetting any USD gains in the value of gold.  I'm absolutely certain that there is lots of uncertainty ahead...

Edited by Mike

bond yields have broken the multi year down trend. money should

begin to flow away from bonds(why take a losing position?). of the

available choices gold looks the best option currently. the dollar

has the risk that if inflation is causing bond yields to rise then

holding cash is probably worse than holding gold.

my guess is overall, gold is more likely to move up or sideways

from this point than down.

HH

2 minutes ago, HawkHybrid said:

bond yields have broken the multi year down trend. money should

begin to flow away from bonds(why take a losing position?). of the

available choices gold looks the best option currently. the dollar

has the risk that if inflation is causing bond yields to rise then

holding cash is probably worse than holding gold.

my guess is overall, gold is more likely to move up or sideways

from this point than down.

HH

You forget logic no longer applies to the markets and its all a big fix.

I think it would be rash to suppose that last Thursday's sharp rise in gold and silver means that these prices are now off to the races. These were short term moves in response to falls in the stock markets, which made investors jittery. The significant thing is that it was gold and silver that caught the money moving out of stocks. The money could have gone into bonds, cryptos, or dollars, but it didn't: these all went down too. Gold is still holding up as the safe haven asset of choice.

why did gold rise this time(silver rose cos gold rose)?

imo there is a treasury bonds problem. the last time it went

to ~3% yield on 10 year notes, gold fell with the stock market

(feb 2018). I believe the difference this time is that 10 year

yields broke their down trend. people who sold bonds put

their money into gold. this could be a sign of things to come.

the coming few weeks should be interesting.

(I think stocks sell off went into bonds)

HH

Edited by HawkHybrid

• 2 weeks later...