• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Monitoring Thread £ GBP only

Paul
Message added by ChrisSilver

This topic is to discuss price action in GBP, to discuss price action in $ USD, please see this topic: https://thesilverforum.com/topic/19962-gold-monitoring-thread-usd-only/

📌 For general non PM chat there is the Hangout topic here: 

1 minute ago, AndrewSL76 said:

What is mad crazy about this thread is that no matter what page you are on, one person is upset at the rise in spot meaning they can’t afford more sovereigns and another person is whooping with joy. Look at the very first page when spot was around the 800 mark after leaping up from 700. People bemoaning not buying more at that time.….I would love to buy gold at 1200 an ounce again, never mind 800.

Keep buying and just average the figures as you go forward….. 

damn those page 1 buyers !!!  

1 minute ago, AndrewSL76 said:

What is mad crazy about this thread is that no matter what page you are on, one person is upset at the rise in spot meaning they can’t afford more sovereigns and another person is whooping with joy. Look at the very first page when spot was around the 800 mark after leaping up from 700. People bemoaning not buying more at that time.….I would love to buy gold at 1200 an ounce again, never mind 800.

Keep buying and just average the figures as you go forward….. 

This is why you sell and quickly buy a little lower so that you try and hold more in your stack than before

Never Chase and Never Regret 

8 minutes ago, CANV said:

damn those page 1 buyers !!!  

The postings from Stretch on page 1 are just brilliant. I love the ‘I’m not buying at these prices’…..bookmark these pages for ten years time!!!! If it’s at £4k an ounce I will be so angry with myself for not buying those graded buffalos……

The interesting thing is that it all started reasonably normally.

For the first few minutes, moves were 4-5 £££s.

image.png.04fac3969717a85570213b0543912260.png

But then it just kicked up and started reaching for the moon...  I think a massive supply of stops from the paper shorts were placed just above, all in the hope that a drop back below the triple top would come to pass.  And some big guns chose the quiet part of the trading day to go hunting for them... Some of the moves were really violent in just seconds.  Very unlike such a large market...

Zooming out the open disappears into tiny moves...

image.png.d413bd6cb47477484c2ebb9210285a48.png

image.png.dcc549b62c21a5992772de33989b6fea.png

Lets see what happens when the major markets open...

New profile pic to support the current thing, because it's current year.

14 minutes ago, CANV said:

thats often the kind of market that ends the day a lot higher.   usually after a 6 pinter at lunch in London. 

I think the stop hunters are quaffing something a little more expensive right now...  Some of those $35 moves in a matter of seconds were automatic stop buys being cashed out as limit sells, all in the space of a second or two.  Large amounts of money were made in mere seconds today.  And those who were hoping to hold a short back down were cashed out for a loss.  Let's see what Tokyo brings, now that the momentum game has calmed down.

15 minutes ago, HonestMoneyGoldSilver said:

A 1% pump in the gold price is roughly equivalent to $150 billion for context. We live in strange times when those sort of sums can fly around the globe in seconds or minutes

In reality though that is not what happened.  The open on a Sunday night is traditionally a quiet affair.  Spreads are wider until the main market opens in Asia, leaving most traders to stay in bed...  But when a triple top presents a possible $300 shorting entry point, there are going to be a lot of stop losses positioned just above.  If enough ammo is used when the market is tight, the price can be lifted enough to set fire to that stop loss ammo.  Once that happens, it's a case of auto selling with a decent profit. Both the USD and GBP charts are identical (rare) which indicates that there was no fx arbitrage game going on.  The fire has gone out now, and the price has drifted back down.  This indicates that there isn't a vast army of desperate buyers, at least not awake right now.  The shorts who were brave enough to try to sell into this are finished for the night session.  It was a blast and abandon mission, and one which has been very successful for some.  What direction it will take from here is anyone's guess,

Edit:  At one point it was 3.75% up in half an hour or so.  That's nominally half a trillion dollars :lol::lol::lol:  Only possible when the market is tight and few are trading...

Edited by silversky

3 hours ago, apachebleu said:

I work I'm guyana so this is quite close to home, I've got a horrible feeling your going to see me on sky news soon!

Sky news? do people really still watch that garbage lol

LFTV.  live from the vault.   Spot price is immaterial. its just an illusion.

Spot gold price rockets through resistance on Sunday evening, setting new all-time highs | Kitco News

“Gold surged through its all-time highs on the back of hopes for lower rates sooner (vs higher for longer), future money printing expectations and stops being triggered on the break of $2,100,” he (Gareth Soloway) said. “The inverse head and shoulder pattern has triggered (assuming a daily close above $2,080).”

Soloway said a “calculated target for 2024 sits at $2,534,” which would represent a completion of the inverse head and shoulders pattern breakout.

“Investors are likely to favor gold as a way to protect against recession, inflation, money printing and the classic safety trade,” he added ......

.....“Gold just made minced meat out of the 2022 / prior record high, rising $75 at the open and smashing above its 1-week implied volatility band,” Simpson said. “Lots of gold headlines are to be expected. But I remain suspicious of the move, given it occurred during low liquidity trade.”

Simpson admitted that he completely missed the move, but he’s also “happy to sit on the side line and avoid the inevitable chop that could follow.”

Pretty much what you just said @silversky

Edited by HonestMoneyGoldSilver

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

It was a rare opportunistic smash by some very big guns.  Smash it high enough in thin trading, and set fire to a massive pile of open short stops (there would also have been some limit buy orders for the break sitting there ready to join in as well).  Once the short stops collapse, the fire causes a blast up which occurs in seconds, allowing the big buyers to sell far above them in a virtually unmatched market.  It's very rare in massive liquid markets like gold, but Sunday trading incurs wider spreads, so its actually much thinner and less liquid than most imagine.  Interesting to see these "experts" saying that they missed this possibility.

There will now be less open contracts than there were three hours ago.  The momentum boys are gone, and so are the short stops which would act as fuel for another rise.  Direction will require new open interest, and we'll have to wait and see what the London boys make of it in a few hours time.  I'm ambivalent now on gold, if I had an open paper long, I would probably be taking half of it off the table just in case.

Roll up roll up for the Mystery Tour
Roll up roll up for the Mystery Tour
Roll up
That's an invitation
Roll up for the Mystery Tour
Roll up
To make a reservation
Roll up for the Mystery Tour
The Magical Mystery Tour
Is waiting to take you away
Waiting to take you away

image.thumb.png.0df7827cc5b68122b351fe04c24c1717.png