• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Monitoring Thread £ GBP only

Paul
Message added by ChrisSilver

This topic is to discuss price action in GBP, to discuss price action in $ USD, please see this topic: https://thesilverforum.com/topic/19962-gold-monitoring-thread-usd-only/

📌 For general non PM chat there is the Hangout topic here: 

Gold down to £1590.64, about £10 since the opening in APAC

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/

Nixon, August 15th, 1971:

I have directed Secretary Connally to suspend temporarily the convertibility of the dollar into gold or other reserve assets, except in amounts and conditions determined to be in the interest of monetary stability and in the best interests of the United States.

Texas, May 2nd, 2023:

In establishing the digital currency under Subsection (a)(2), the comptroller shall provide a means to ensure that a person who holds the digital currency may:

1. Use the digital currency as legal tender in payment of debt; and

2. By electronic means readily transfer or assign the digital currency to another person.

The trustee shall maintain enough gold and silver specie or bullion to provide for the redemption of all units of the digital currency issued but not redeemed.

Over time, as residents of the state use both Federal Reserve notes and silver and gold coins, the fact that the coins hold their value more than Federal Reserve notes do will lead to a ‘reverse Gresham’s Law’ effect, where good money (gold and silver coins) will drive out bad money (Federal Reserve notes).

As this happens, a cascade of events can begin to occur, including the flow of real wealth toward the state’s treasury, an influx of banking business from outside of the state – as people in other states carry out their desire to bank with sound money – and an eventual outcry against the use of Federal Reserve notes for any transactions.

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

39 minutes ago, silversky said:

I guess it's because it's pretty quiet for gold at the moment.  Personally I think gold is going to sag a bit from here till the end of the month at least.  Maybe even take a big nose dive.  I might even get really contrarian and sell some...  so many people think it's got nowhere to go except up, but I think it might have run out of steam for a while.  Who knows.

You might be right. The technical picture implies it was bad to fail at $2080 (27-28th Dec 2023) and we've now run out of momentum

The most recent gold easing has been primarily due to rate expectations but there's no further drop due to be priced in soon - 97.4% have priced in no rate cuts until May

There's a lot of support above $2000/oz

Screenshot2024-01-22201811.thumb.png.84361d0a6768d2b2707d46a47bde5107.png

There is arbitrage to China and elsewhere who are paying 4%+ over spot on physical gold. I expect gold will meander above $2000 indefinitely and spike with geopolitics, recessionary fears, banking crises, rate cuts and DXY strength. The bull run in DXY also appears to be over. I expect neutral on gold for a couple of months but the future for 2024 as a whole is bright

It's always worth considering the downside and it's possible for gold to fall 10%+ from today's price. Holding above $2000 is important and you could try to wait until gold breaks $2000 and see what happens with the price. It's not guaranteed gold breaks though. Moderate DCA and BTD perhaps. You are right though gold is not without risks and a lot of people ignore them. I've said several times gold could theoretically lose 20% to $1600 but that is the absolute bottom, more likely $1800 is the real bottom. I'm happy with that risk in the context of DCA physical but not necessarily in the context of technical analysis or paper gold

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

You know...this has been the second consecutive week I failed miserably in predicting the gold price at sunday night/market opening hour. 😂 To make matters worse this is the second consecutive weekend where I've made a few bullion purchases thinking I would be safe when the price shoots to da mooooon. This gold price thread is a hard game to conquer.

gip4.gif

16 hours ago, bobski said:

No one, NO1, is taking my guns. I cant reiterate that enough

It's every Englishman's right to bear arms

I'm just restricted to which arms I bear (I want a quiet life)

Yup, still a right, not a privilege.

Progress is a myth. Democracy is a sham. Dumbing down is real.
Throw your mobile 'phone in the bin, it will free you!
Turn your TV off, cancel your licence.
USE CASH WHEREVER POSSIBLE.

Hi does anyone know how to view previous daily  gold prices? .

I'm after when it was $2044 .

Regards

D

Just now, Dankanugget said:

Regards

D

As in the last 6 months max.

7 minutes ago, Dankanugget said:

Regards

D

Is this any use?

image.thumb.png.27014cca9d932d05decfcca5625adbea.png

I'm alright, Jack, Keep your hands off of my stack

15 minutes ago, Dankanugget said:

Regards

D

Or the Charts facility above here between forum quick links and trading feedback, just tap on gold, usd and timescale reqd.

She's flirting with the £1600 mark again. Can she break back through that line?

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

After struggling all day yesterday to poke it's head above the £1600 mark, looks like it's been squashed lower again. Desperate to keep the spring coiled in my opinion

1 hour ago, Petra said:

Looks like the £1600 area could be the everyday price for a while? Time below or above doesn’t seem to last very long at the moment 🤔🤔🌬️

Probably. Oscillates +/- £10 at the moment. 

On 23/01/2024 at 10:30, Dankanugget said:

16th Jan this year.

5 hours ago, Petra said:

Obviously prefer a bigger drop that is sustained for a little while so it actually effects dealers prices!🤔😮

I've increased my potential low point to £1580 now, and have no great expectation of it staying down there for any consequential length of time, maybe not even a full trading day once everyone has paid tax and other mandatory January outgoings; 

I have both properties and a trade insurance in Jan, in addition to the 31.01.24 tax payment date, so glad I balanced the bulk of my PM's portfolio last year.

Edited by Coverte

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.