• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Monitoring Thread £ GBP only

Paul
Message added by ChrisSilver

This topic is to discuss price action in GBP, to discuss price action in $ USD, please see this topic: https://thesilverforum.com/topic/19962-gold-monitoring-thread-usd-only/

📌 For general non PM chat there is the Hangout topic here: 

32 minutes ago, StackToCollect said:

A friend of mine did this. His mum was then silly enough to let the TV licence people in when they came knocking and they caught him watching Sky. However, when it went to court he claimed that he was using Sky to record everything and watch it later so was never watching live TV and didn't need a licence. They couldn't prove he was lying so he got off!

You can't do that now. 

Just now, Gruff said:

Because you're paying the BBC to give you a blast propagandised view of events. If they were impartial and actually did proper journalism then people would be happy to pay. But to have them peddle the lies from the government... erm no. That's why I don't even have a TV. 

IMG_1448.thumb.png.e2f6515f8bf0a451d6d618232e6eddc7.pngIMG_1448.thumb.png.e2f6515f8bf0a451d6d618232e6eddc7.png

Just now, Sovhead said:

IMG_1448.thumb.png.e2f6515f8bf0a451d6d618232e6eddc7.pngIMG_1448.thumb.png.e2f6515f8bf0a451d6d618232e6eddc7.png

True story!!

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/

2 minutes ago, Chronos said:

Fed Posts Largest-Ever Annual Operating Loss - $114.3 billion:

https://archive.is/Y3kFR

Nothing to see here, nothing to see..

please-disperse-leave.gif.340980db5398c902f4b7a35909c8cacd.gif

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/

1 hour ago, StackToCollect said:

A friend of mine did this. His mum was then silly enough to let the TV licence people in when they came knocking and they caught him watching Sky. However, when it went to court he claimed that he was using Sky to record everything and watch it later so was never watching live TV and didn't need a licence. They couldn't prove he was lying so he got off!

Screenshot_20240113-131722.thumb.png.10f11dc628383a7ad39708e36d150a16.png

1 hour ago, StackToCollect said:

I call bs on that.  It sounds like one of those apocryphal stories because it has never been the case that you can record live tv without a licence.  Never!  But who wants to anyway?  It's all rubbish.  I haven't had a licence for years, and I get their threats and harassment letters every month.  I'm still waiting for a goon to knock on my door to have it closed in his face.  I've been looking forward to that, and I'd be happy if they came with a warrant.  I'm doing nothing illegal, so I would prevaricate and delay them, causing as much headache as possible for the tyrants...  And in the end send them packing with as much shame as possible on camera.  But that's just going to have to be one of those little treats which comes when you least expect it.

New profile pic to support the current thing, because it's current year.

8 minutes ago, silversky said:

..I'd be happy if they came with a warrant. ..

...and not a 'notice of a warrant' or some other claptrap they typically present when pushed (if at all!)

A warrant clearly signed by a named judge, accompanied by supporting affidavit and long list of due process done correctly.

Edited by JohnA1

Everybody knows the war is over / Everybody knows the good guys lost
                               Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

“The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”

1 hour ago, silversky said:

I call bs on that.  It sounds like one of those apocryphal stories because it has never been the case that you can record live tv without a licence.  Never!  But who wants to anyway?  It's all rubbish.  I haven't had a licence for years, and I get their threats and harassment letters every month.  I'm still waiting for a goon to knock on my door to have it closed in his face.  I've been looking forward to that, and I'd be happy if they came with a warrant.  I'm doing nothing illegal, so I would prevaricate and delay them, causing as much headache as possible for the tyrants...  And in the end send them packing with as much shame as possible on camera.  But that's just going to have to be one of those little treats which comes when you least expect it.

Maybe it was a just a good story. But this is going back about 10 years and laws are always slow to catch up with new technology - the TV licence one has definitely been updated since his alleged case. Whilst the ability to record things to VHS and DVD has been around for a long time, that still required you to purchase physical items to carry it out, whereas now you can record days of footage to a TV box with no additional purchase required. It makes sense that that would prompt a law change at some point. But I confess, I've never paid too much attention to the TV licencing laws!

2 hours ago, Richard82 said:

It's what it funds not how much it is.

Agreed

The BBC triggered me in recent years by claiming I was a far-right extremist! Only 20 years ago I would have been described by the BBC as a centrist, maybe even centre-left. It's not me that has changed it is the BBC. Now instead of documentaries about the bravery of our servicemen in WWII, we've given lectures about the bravery of a user on X who has transitioned from a woman into a seahorse. We're not allowed to drive combustion vehicles, not allowed to leave the EU, must support terrorists like Sinn Fein IRA and Hamas. Paying for the BBC is like paying a sponsorship to a far-left neo-Marxist political organisation

I might get ridiculed but I pay the BBC license as there are people in my house who want it. I also pay for Sky and TNT, sometimes Amazon. At least I've avoided Netflix 🤗

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

20 hours ago, Gruff said:

Like this:

image.thumb.png.d4e49b6a7ffce5d6c75ddfac479d8df7.png

Shocking, disgusting, disgraceful. Don't they know Douglas and Joe are minorities? Douglas is gay and Joe has learning difficulties

Seriously though not a surprise. Men who speak their mind and strive for the truth are the greatest threat to their authoritarian gatekeeping of modern society

Gold at $2049/£1607!

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

So going back to gold………

What’s  going to be the next Gold Nostradamus prediction?

“Foook You, you’re an irrelevant customer, go somewhere else peasant, nobody’s listening, I’m alright Jack”

-Royal Mint 2024

7 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

Nostradamus predicted the fall of the license fee in 2024

Bet he did it based on TA!

giphy.gif

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

3 hours ago, Richard82 said:

If you pay for sky and not the TV license then you're asking for trouble 

Only if you let them in. It's still the same process. To be prosecuted they have to catch you or you admit it. 

If you do get prosecuted then the fact that you pay for sky, netflix and Amazon is actually brought up in court as evidence. But having those things doesn't make it more likely you will get a visit. You can of course watch Netflix and Amazon with no license. But like I say if your in court they will say that you were happy to pay for that like it's evidence against you. 

Do the declaration and you won't get a visit. So many are doing it now that they are only visiting those who had a licence and then stopped paying without making the declaration. 

47 minutes ago, Lancashire1 said:

Only if you let them in. It's still the same process. To be prosecuted they have to catch you or you admit it. 

If you do get prosecuted then the fact that you pay for sky, netflix and Amazon is actually brought up in court as evidence. But having those things doesn't make it more likely you will get a visit. You can of course watch Netflix and Amazon with no license. But like I say if your in court they will say that you were happy to pay for that like it's evidence against you. 

Do the declaration and you won't get a visit. So many are doing it now that they are only visiting those who had a licence and then stopped paying without making the declaration. 

I have made one. But they still send letters after 2 years. Nothing's change with me since the last time I spoke to them.