• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Order of best Sovereign years?

5 minutes ago, James32 said:

I'd Start with the recent special reverse years bullion then infill when possible.

2002 ( you have )

2022 platinum jubilee

2022 memorial

2023 coronation 

Thanks so much for your list, appreciated. I wonder what people think when it comes to older years?

1 minute ago, 9x883 said:

Much older years probably look towards slabbed coins

Sorry, I don't know the meaning of slabbed coins? I'm a bit new to this. Could you expand on that please?

3 minutes ago, Matt8v said:

Ahh I see, thanks. I'll stick to bullion but try to get good quality examples.

If you get a paid membership on here you will be able to see the bargains before they all go. Not only do you get good quality well priced bullion coins on here you can find great priced proof coins🤔🤔

11 minutes ago, Matt8v said:

I just did buy a paid membership and bought silver coins this weekend. I so nearly bought a nice sovereign but missed it by a minute! The prices do look very good.

😮👍👍good luck with your buying. Don’t be afraid to ask questions on here … very helpful bunch😮😮

1 hour ago, Matt8v said:

Hi folks, I am getting more interested in collecting years of sovereigns. I'm wondering if there is a table or spreadsheet available that lists from best, the sovereigns that are most desired or important?  I know the super rare will be mega money, but it would be nice to see how far up the list I could find.

So far, found sovereigns from 1885, 1891, 1901, 1911 and 2002 shieldback. 

It would be good to get a few more when funds and good coins allow.

44 minutes ago, Aldebaran said:

Good luck, you have started something that hopefully will last a lifetime 🌞  and cost you a lot of money

You may live to regret asking your question!😄

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Sadly my list is The Gold Sovereign Series Book | Chards - £39.95 Although. I've only gone for One from each year and mint, not all the variations.

I do have an excel sheet of all the years, mints and variations. It would be nice to fill that. However I do like the proof 2017 Anniversary Sovereign.

What might be a "better" question to ask is what the best sovereigns to collect within your budget?  I don't know what this is you may only want to spend £3000-4000 per sovereign maximum or you might want to spend more or less. 

If you are only just starting off you really need to learn as you go and I'd advise not to buy any high premium numismatic sovereigns until you know what you are buying.   

best advise for a new sovereign collector........

keep to close as the bullion price as you can.  £400-£450 area first.  

different monarchs are a good place to start, then different reverses shield backs and the special year reverses etc

Different mint marks,  you can collect a George V full mint mark run for not a lot of money.

First and the last of each monarch......this can get expensive  

different varieties,  portraits/legends,  first/second jubilees,  Incuse/relief WW young heads, die numbers, small or large head George V  etc etc. 

13 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

What you are asking is the same as which is the best vintage car to collect, or which pieces of art is the "best".....Very quickly you will need astronomical sums of money.  

I would genuinely advise you to lean more about the sovereign first, there are endless publications on the subject and lots of knowledgable  people around.   I'm sure theres a good few sovereign collectors here would like an Edward VIII proof 1937 sovereign  in there collection, or a lovely example of a 1489 sovereign however these are out of many people's limits.   

Also there are some unicorn pieces that are priceless and unobtainable no matter how deep your pockets are.    

Fair enough, I see that any list would be subjective and open to debate. I just thought it would be interesting to get others views. 

2022mem

2022jubbly (lovely)

1817-20

1918i

All quints, all sotd 

But repeat above 

Edited by Agaupl

Aaaahhh😉

33 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

2022mem

2022jubbly (lovely)

1817-20

1918i

All quints, all sotd 

But repeat above 

That's great, thanks.

Being new to this, I'm surprised that the list isn't full of 100+ year old years coins.