• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Order of best Sovereign years?

5 minutes ago, Matt8v said:

That's great, thanks.

Being new to this, I'm surprised that the list isn't full of 100+ year old years coins.

I think the guys on here are trying to help by being sensible with you.  

1920- S is not a bad one to get if you can find one.  

I've had  undated trail £5 sovereign piece in my hand that I genuinely think 4-5 million would not be enough buy them.    

1839 proof £5 sovereign commonly known as "Una and the lion"  is a nice coin if you can get hand on one.......theres one of these pinned into the wall in a display case in the British museum.  Want to cry every time I see it.  

1 hour ago, Agaupl said:

2022mem

2022jubbly (lovely)

1817-20

1918i

All quints, all sotd 

But repeat above 

No 2012?😨 Just when I thought we were frwends😪

14 minutes ago, Orpster said:

An incredibly subjective topic, and it will be different for everyone

I was having a conversation with someone over the weekend though and they asked what my prioritisation was when buying coins, so I can copy and paste my answer here

Rare Shields
Scarce Shields
Rare YH G&D
Scarce YH G&D
Proof special reverse 1/4 Brits
Gillicks (57/59/62/64)
SOTD Sovereigns (preferably graded MS70)
Common YH Shields
Common YH G&D
Maklouf Doubles in PF70
Modern special Reverse

Brilliant, thanks for your view. I will find it interesting to get peoples ideas on what is important to them when looking.

3 hours ago, Agaupl said:

I don’t like the 2012… there.. I said it.  But I really dislike the 2005. 

How can you say that😂

I like the 2012, the dragon is lanced and the 2005 is my favourite.

There I said it🖖

Coins are not only a store of value but a store of beauty.

The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are. (Joseph Campbell).

7 minutes ago, Aldebaran said:

How can you say that😂

I like the 2012, the dragon is lanced and the 2005 is my favourite.

There I said it🖖

100 people 101 different opinions 🤷‍♂️ hence no possible list 

2 hours ago, Matt8v said:

Brilliant, thanks for your view. I will find it interesting to get peoples ideas on what is important to them when looking.

Price !

Aaaahhh😉

4 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

This could be a very long journey you are embarking on, and could take many years!

Best read lots of books, and ask for advice when needed…

Started my journey over 25 years ago. Here’s a selection of different obverses since 1817, then of course there are overseas mints etc etc. Just start with a simple bullion Sovereign, and twiddle it between your fingers…🙂!!

IMG_0370.jpeg

Ha! ha! Start with simple bullion coins and you show us some of yours😁I take it you started buying when one or two of your pictured were mere ‘ordinary’ coins😮🤔😂😂

4 hours ago, Agaupl said:

I don’t like the 2012… there.. I said it.  But I really dislike the 2005. 

I detest the 2012 it was horrific. I don't like the clip art 2005 one either. I also don't care for the 2002 sovereign, the lack of legends around the edges makes it look bland. It's like they wanted to replicate a Vicky shield sovereign but forgot half the design.

I tried to do family members birth years...but quickly realised there weren't any sovereigns produced in the majority of those years. 😐  Had no idea that sov's weren't produced every year!  Half sovereigns were produced in even fewer years.

So I'm on a different run now.  One from each decade/portrait.  One of each special reverse.  And some key dates that have meaning to me, rather than the Marsh catalogue.  Not fussed whether full or half.  Not interested in mintage numbers.  Ultimately, most sov's look pretty similar, it's mainly the date and the head that changes (except special reverse).

1 hour ago, SidS said:

I detest the 2012 it was horrific. I don't like the clip art 2005 one either. I also don't care for the 2002 sovereign, the lack of legends around the edges makes it look bland. It's like they wanted to replicate a Vicky shield sovereign but forgot half the design.

These 3 ‘specials’ are just for you then? And so @Matt8v knows what we’re talking about……

IMG_0549.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

These 3 ‘specials’ are just for you then? And so @Matt8v knows what we’re talking about……

IMG_0549.jpeg

Each to their own as others have said. I know these coins do really well and are popular with many, many collectors/stackers.

Over generalisations like 'everyone loves them' makes me go full on Monty Python... You're all individuals - "I'm not". It was nice to hear from someone else who doesn't care for them.

It's funny, I was going to buy a 2012 sovereign to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Titanic, but when the design was revealed and it wasn't the usual St George, I passed and bought a 1912 one instead.

I suppose somewhere there's someone out there who hates Vicky shield sovereigns. I haven't met them yet, but be assured they do exist.

Personally, I admire the pre-Vicky sovereigns the most, but I know I'm in a minority there! 😁

Edited by SidS

11 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

IMG_0549.jpeg

Away with them ( not the 2002) .. tbf. I like the quints. But that 2005 is an abomination I think everyone agrees. 🤣

Aaaahhh😉

I would buy your books first, as has already been mentioned, Marsh first, possibly Spink Coins of England, and just as a reference I use Coin year book for  modern prices. There are other books however these are easily found. 

It is good to teach yourself grades in hand so I would look to get Three of each NGC/PCGS, an AU grade plus a MS 61 and a MS 64. NGC I think are more technical whereas PCGS is more about the coin in hand and appearance (I prefer PCGS, but use both).

This will give you a base line for grading, newer collectors can buy a coin thinking it is Uncirculated however comes up as only Fine. This is for any coin that you are thinking of collecting,(gold can be harder to judge sometimes as it's a softer metal).

This is just my opinion, as the more knowledge the less heartache.

My list,  

both 2022

George III/IV, William V--- with more knowledge 

1902, 1911, 1937 Proof   

11 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

Best read lots of books, and ask for advice when needed…

I feel there is a vic Missing there… 

there should be 3;

shield small head, shield large head, st george and dragon