• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Una & Lion bullion bar range

Give them their dues. They know how to milk stuff!

image.thumb.png.11c262381fd846f5db6a4d6e2802998b.png

A Beauty and a Beast

Register Your Interest

Una and the Lion, the legend of a princess and her protector, is set to appear on a new bullion bar range from The Royal Mint.

This lyrical interpretation reimagines William Wyon’s iconic coin design through the lens of Edmund Spenser’s epic poem The Faerie Queen, first published in 1590.

The first edition in the new Una and the Lion Minted Bullion Bar Range, Una and her Lion treads new ground with our latest design.

Didn't EIC already do this?

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

I did wonder what the RM would do to continue the silver bullion bar issues following the 3 graces.  The option of a gothic bar to follow the coin release was probably not going to happen due to fitting a circular design into a rectangle !

A few different interpretations of Una & the Lion would be welcome by me (keeping fingers crossed they don't bring out a bad 'un).... No different really to the yearly Britannia proof designs. In this instance i applaud the RM for milking it  🙂

3 hours ago, Silverlocks said:

Didn't EIC already do this?

EIC has been issuing Una coins annually, not bars. ;)

Edited by ak74

@westminstrel if they are going to bang out bars and ingots they would have better demand   if they used these...............

https://www.royalmintmuseum.org.uk/collection/master-tools-and-dies/ricardo-ingot-dies/

I'd buy a bar/ingot thats been stuck with coinage die.  

Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 07.21.33.png

Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 07.20.33.png

Edited by GoldDiggerDave

33 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

@westminstrel if they are going to bang out bars and ingots they would have better demand   if they used these...............

https://www.royalmintmuseum.org.uk/collection/master-tools-and-dies/ricardo-ingot-dies/

I'd buy a bar/ingot thats been stuck with coinage die.  

Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 07.21.33.png

Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 07.20.33.png

YES. 1000% yes!!!

I have seen those on the RM Museum’s Instagram and Twitter and thought the G&D would make an amazing ingot. Imagine it on a cast bar. 😍

1 minute ago, westminstrel said:

YES. 1000% yes!!!

I have seen those on the RM Museum’s Instagram and Twitter and thought the G&D would make an amazing ingot. Imagine it on a cast bar. 😍

This is whats P ing me off with the Royal Mint they have hundreds of years of legacy and provenance and theres so much they could do........But they seam hell bent on turning themselves into a glorified gift shop with the tat they are producing.

Exactly! William Wyon’s Una and the Lion was a way of honouring Queen Victoria, referencing The Faerie Queen and envisioning Queen Victoria as Una leading the Lion (England).

That amazing sentiment seems to be lost on the current management at the RM, who are using - and leasing out to other mints like EIC - the Una and the Lion “brand” in a way that totally insults Wyon’s legacy and cheapens what was a masterpiece of intent and design.

As per @Stuntman they've already done limited edition una & lion bullion bars for example off the top of my head the 10oz silver have a mintage of 6000 & the 100oz have a mintage of 1200.

I might buy 1x1oz silver of the new offering but the RM are taking the absolute pizz out of collectors with this repeat.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

I'd replied in the New Royal Mint bullion thread, but I'm also of the view that the horizontal layout isn't ideal.  Although hard to avoid, given the design.  I agree that a square bar would be a lot more interesting and distinctive as a series.