• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Do I have fake sovereigns...?

Hi all, I've been on the forum a little while and usually stack silver however I recently bought 5 different sovereigns frok 3 different sellers on here and today I thought I'd sigma test and weight them....

But 3 of the 5 fail the sigma test when measured on their heads. The G&D side they pass.

Also they are all coming in at 8g dead, not 7.98....

Also  dont knkw what they are meant to feel like, but one of them has like a lip on it sticking up/catching and another feels bit off but cpukd be my paranoia. I took 2 out of their slip as the sigma fail made me doubt them and they too fail on one side.

So please can someone advise if they are fake and if so, what my options are? Shpuld I take then to a pawnbroker to check?

Bit nervous to buy any more on tsf now... i haven't tested all my silver yet but of the 20 I have tested they are fine....

Pictures to follow, Thanks:)

To confirm, the 3 sellers seem reputable/good feedback so unsure what to do.

Thanks 

20240106_103401.jpg

20240106_104158.jpg

20240106_103407.jpg

20240106_103426.jpg

20240106_103450.jpg

20240106_104121.jpg

20240106_103249.jpg

20240106_104134.jpg

20240106_103302.jpg

20240106_104140.jpg

20240106_103347.jpg

20240106_104152.jpg

20240106_103456.jpg

20240106_103503.jpg

20240106_103507.jpg

20240106_104113.jpg

20240106_103830.jpg

20240106_103837.jpg

20240106_103948.jpg

20240106_104012.jpg

20240106_103656.jpg

20240106_103700.jpg

20240106_103708.jpg

20240106_103805.jpg

20240106_104023.jpg

20240106_104031.jpg

Thanks, will try take better pics later. Was more to show the weight. And I'll do the wand too  hadn't thought of them!

In the words of Arnie, I'll be back:)

As @daca says, use small wand. I never test anything smaller than a half oz coin directly on the sigma. All sovereigns and 1/4ozs get the wand treatment. Basically if the coin is smaller than the black circle on testing area ( use the wand )

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Thanks, sounds like user error re the sigma!

Regarding the 8g, is this ok then? I used the same scales you? recommended a while ago .... ACCT ones and calibrated.

Thanks 

1 minute ago, Nicolaw said:

Regarding the 8g, is this ok then? I used the same scales you? recommended a while ago .... ACCT ones and calibrated.

Thanks 

Yeah the weight is fine.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

9 minutes ago, Nicolaw said:

Thanks 

Some do weigh 8g 👍🏻

Just an aside, the reason I opted for the Sigma Pro version, was the ability to test the smaller coins, without using the wand. It’s ideal for sovereign’s, which is the bulk of my higher value stuff.

The 8g would not be unusual on that type of scale,

And all the pictures you have posted look like they are fine on the Sigma too, I can see two where the read is just outside the [ ] but given you are not using the wand I would not be in any way worried, the 0 is literally just outside the [ ].  If the 0 was not visible and there was an arrow, then I would worry.  I think you are absolutely fine mate, all looks good to me, but if your really worried do a specific gravity test.  Just go on YouTube to see how to do it but literally all you need is scales (which you have) and a bowl of water. 

Edited by Orpster

I would be very surprised if there are any 2017 fakes about or Machin head.  If you really want to know the true weight of your coins, then buy a scale that only goes to 50g. Those tend to show weight to 3 decimal points

Never Chase and Never Regret 

All look ok to me. Definitely use the wand on small gold coins. Weight wise, nearly every single sovereign I own has shown 8g dead on the scale I use. Bought direct from the mint, dealers and thru forums so plenty to compare against. I wouldn’t worry about anything you’ve pictured here 👍🏼

17 hours ago, dicker said:

I don’t own a Sigma - but it would be the very last test I did if I bothered.

Really accurate scales and a micrometer are good but honestly - a detailed visual inspection - comparing against a reference coin is in my opinion the most important test.

Absolutely.  Those Sigma machines are hugely expensive and can't be justified unless you have a large collection/ turnover of coins.  A simple ping test and comparing like for like should be fine. Only the King George I'd slightly worry if it was my first but the others no problems.  The chances of one of these five being fake is about 0.001% .  Who can say what will happen in 10 or 20 years time with technology and the Chinese but I'd wouldn't worry too much about these coins

2 hours ago, pricha said:

Absolutely.  Those Sigma machines are hugely expensive and can't be justified unless you have a large collection/ turnover of coins.  

I disagree; a used Sigma = about 2 sovereigns; that's a miniscule fraction of the value of many peoples collections, both here and elsewhere.

If you need to do any liquidation, it also gives instant verification to the lesser educated buyers - and there's plenty of older boomer generation cash buyers around currently, even if not on here.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

57 minutes ago, Coverte said:

I disagree; a used Sigma = about 2 sovereigns; that's a miniscule fraction of the value of many peoples collections, both here and elsewhere.

If you need to do any liquidation, it also gives instant verification to the lesser educated buyers - and there's plenty of older boomer generation cash buyers around currently, even if not on here.

I'd love one but they seemed very difficult to purchase some time ago. Maybe not so much now. So you can pick them up in the  uk for £800 ? 

Edited by pricha

Out of interest, has anyone on here found a previously unknown fake sovereign using a Sigma?  I get that it's for peace of mind, but doesn't actually pay for itself unless you've received and returned two and a half fake sovereigns at current rates.

17 minutes ago, Minted said:

Out of interest, has anyone on here found a previously unknown fake sovereign using a Sigma?  I get that it's for peace of mind, but doesn't actually pay for itself unless you've received and returned two and a half fake sovereigns at current rates.

Yep. I’ve picked up 1 sovereign and one half sovereign that were fake/couldn’t get a reading. Dealer/sellers took them back for full refund both times 👍🏼

On 06/01/2024 at 11:23, ZigZag said:

Just an aside, the reason I opted for the Sigma Pro version, was the ability to test the smaller coins, without using the wand. It’s ideal for sovereign’s, which is the bulk of my higher value stuff.

Couldn't agree more.

I wouldn't even *consider* any gold that doesn't pass Sigma test all the way through. The Pro Mini tests through up to 10mm, that's good even for the thickest gold coin/bar I'd be interested.  Wands only go down to a certain number of microns deep, same as XRF guns. Not good enough perhaps if cladding is involved.

Edited by JohnA1

Everybody knows the war is over / Everybody knows the good guys lost
                               Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

“The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”

Posted (edited)

Apologies for the radio silence, busy times!

Please see below close ups of the coins, hopefully better. 

On a good point, measuring them with  the wand they all passed. But a couple of them don't feel right and the 2017 has a lip. Could be a stamping error but these are my first sovs so unsure. 

Appreciate any expert eyes.

I'll have a look in to the gravity test thing too. Thanks for everyone's comments:)

Edited by Nicolaw