• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold bars or gold coins

1 minute ago, James32 said:

Coins that are CGT free over bars. But if a bar is cheap, then the odd one won't hurt. Just know that there's a lot of fakes about.

Someone told me other day not to buy fractional bars cuz they hard to sell after  

i buy a 1 gram bar every time I buy a 1/10 coin but think I’m gonna start stacking sovereigns from next week 

1 minute ago, BipolarStacker said:

i buy a 1 gram bar every time I buy a 1/10 coin but think I’m gonna start stacking sovereigns from next week 

Just watch the premium. They were one of the cheapest way's to buy gold coins but recently the premium has moved up a bit. I started my collection the same way most have with best buy sovereigns. Its a lucky dip on years but gold is gold.

5 minutes ago, ZRPMs said:

Just watch the premium. They were one of the cheapest way's to buy gold coins but recently the premium has moved up a bit. I started my collection the same way most have with best buy sovereigns. Its a lucky dip on years but gold is gold.

What is the best thing to buy weekly in your opinion to stack over time I can buy every Friday just want to know my best option 

would be sovs all day long but the premiums are still too high.  the last gold price spike above 1600 quid.  saw bullion sov premiums in percentage terms go higher not lower.  . well over 5 even 7 per cent. thats bonkers .. 

you can get krugs at spot on here now. brits at 2/3 per cent.     buy when the gold price is falling. 

30 minutes ago, James32 said:

Budget?

£250 a week without missus killing me can probs push abit more 

24 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

Personally if my aim was stacking for value, I'd wait until I had enough money in the budget to buy a sovereign, and then buy them as and when I could afford.

What’s best ones to buy 

15 minutes ago, ZRPMs said:

As @James32 say's Depends upon budget. As well as your aims and reasons for buying. 

Myself, when I started i bought a few sovereigns when I had the spare cash, but always kept an eye on the spot price. For me I had other things on the go as well so if I felt that on average spot was a little high I would hold on for a little and try to buy in the price lull. I never really bought at the bottom of the dips but miss more of the peaks. It also helped negotiate a little for buying a quantity of them. As gold has increased in price my collection has moved on to include some of the more numismatic coins but what I've tried to do is keep my average cost per sovereign below the average cost of the current sovereign price. But also be aware of other coins or even bars. If you can get them for the right price with little premium it's got to be a win. Some of my best margin has come from Platinum. An uncle once told me that the time you make your profit is when you buy not necessarily when you sell. If you over pay your on the back foot before you start. 

Honestly this has baffled me is spot the price of gold in the chart ? What is numismatic gold 

16 minutes ago, 9x883 said:

All depends how long you wish to lock up the funds. If you want flexibility to liquidate, sovs and fractional coins bought at low premiums are probably best. Investment pieces would be some special edition brits or other limited edition coins to diversify your stack. All depends on the purpose really. 

10 year plan 

8 minutes ago, CANV said:

would be sovs all day long but the premiums are still too high.  the last gold price spike above 1600 quid.  saw bullion sov premiums in percentage terms go higher not lower.  . well over 5 even 7 per cent. thats bonkers .. 

you can get krugs at spot on here now. brits at 2/3 per cent.     buy when the gold price is falling. 

Gold Krugs? 

4 minutes ago, James32 said:

Healthy budget but also an awkward one. £250 falls well above a 1/10th but well under a sovereign. 

A list of options would be..

1) buy fortnightly a sovereign ( downside is the wait as we all want it right now 🤣)

2) stick with the 1/10th weekly until you fill a tube and put rest of budget into a savings account titled PM budget. It will build up in no time and allow extra purchases every month or so.

3) up budget to £295-£300 and buy a 20 franc coin. Not CGT free but a decent size and low premium beauty.

4) buy monthly 2 sovereigns and a 1/10th, will be a tough wait in-between but a more exciting mail call.

1) and 4) is a deffo hellllll no 😂

2) sounds very sensible and tempting 

3) is also a good idea I’m gonna look at a 20 francs now 

13 minutes ago, BipolarStacker said:

Honestly this has baffled me is spot the price of gold in the chart ? What is numismatic gold 

Spot price is just the price that changes buy the minuet. However it is fixed twice a day from the spot price. These fixes are what are normally used by jewellers, coin shops etc. Numismatic gold coins are coins that have a much higher premium for its scarcity or its condition. A 1937 George VI sovereign will set you back about 10 times the price of a standard bullion sovereign.   

1 hour ago, BipolarStacker said:

What’s everyone’s opinion 

gold bars or gold coins for stacking for long term wealth preservation ???

Happy to answer but have you used the search function?  You will find a great deal of discussion on this in previous threads.   

Not my circus, not my monkeys

11 minutes ago, ZRPMs said:

Just be careful your not buying too hastily.

Two sayings stick in my head from my youth. My uncle used to tell me about the old bull and the young bull on the hill looking down on a field of dairy cows. Young bull " Lets run down there and have our way with some of them lovelies." Old bull says "Nah son, Lets walk down and have them all." Th other came from a good friend and bit of a mentor, he always used to say "Calm down lad, Only thing made in hast is unwanted babies. And my house is full of them." In other words it's not a sprint but more of a marathon. Keeping some of your budget may mean that you happen upon something really nice for little money.

I agree also mate just because I’m new to this and I’m enjoying the post office pick ups but ye I love the 1/10th Britannias but they are so so small and I don’t get a good feeling when it comes 🥸