• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

My Bank Have Put a Block on My Account due to a PM Bank Transfer Payment

My bank kindly rejected a transfer I made (below £300) to another member for a coin. A simple fraud check.... No biggie.... You'd think!

I called to say it didn't go through, assumed they'd do a check, ask a few questions and then authorise it. But they said they needed 72 hours to look further in to it. They ask where I purchased the item (I guess when they heard it's a forum it'll set alarm bells ringing perhaps....)

I then called a few times over that 72h period pushing for answers (as I am not happy they've put a block on my account). I can make debit or credit card payments. I seem to be able to pay existing payees. But I can't do any new bank transfers as there is a block on my account until this is resolved. Each time I'm fobbed off "I can see they have taken some action on it but it's not completed yet" (what the hell does that mean?!) Luckily I'm at my spending limit anyway so won't be purchasing for a while - but it's the principle!

We are now at six days. Double the quoted time they said they would take to get back to me. I have made a formal complaint about that of course.

I'm livid that they are allowed to control the way I spend MY money for this long!

I'm guessing they are digging deep on this one by the sound of it (perhaps seeing that in recent times, instead of buying clothes from the internet, I have been paying various random people by bank transfer - which is going to look a bit dodge I guess!) So I'm predicting they'll question many payments/receipts etc. Fine. I've nothing to hide (but what an inconvenient waste of time and faff!)

So, have any of you had similar to this? What did you have to do? How long? etc

Also, if I have to provide proof of purchases, then most members (who are not businesses) of course don't supply invoices. So do I provide screen shots of the listing of any queried transactions? Along with copies of any correspondence messages for evidence? Is that adequate proof? Is that even allowed for the sake of GDPR?

I don't like this one bit!!!! I'm also going to change current account because of it (due to the unacceptable time they're taking), however I currently cannot even change banks while there's a block on my existing one!

Edited by katyc

• katyc changed the title to My Bank Have Put a Block on My Account due to a PM Bank Transfer Payment

Which bank are you with - just curious.

I am guessing natwest to me they seem the most intrusive of banks..

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

7 minutes ago, katyc said:

Santander

I've looked on USwitch - a few banks doing £200 incentive to switch. As soon as this block is lifted - SEE YAH 😡

Santander have been the worst bank for me. I dumped them LONG ago for similar reasons. 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

2 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

Santander have been the worst bank for me. I dumped them LONG ago for similar reasons. 

Did you need to prove your purchases in any way? (ones to non-businesses as I don't have invoices for those). They may not even ask for more info. They may just lift it without questions. But with it taking this long I'm not so sure. Most people wouldn't care, but I feel really frustrated and violated that they can control me for an unacceptable time. 

57 minutes ago, HonestMoneyGoldSilver said:

That's unreal over less than £300

That's the most shocking part! Unless they've seen payments coming out over a period of time and it's triggered a check (because they're all transfers maybe it looks a bit dodge)

It was probably just a typical fraud check that led to them questioning (when asking what it's for and where I bought it, I guess "a forum member" would set alarm bells ringing 😆)

Edited by katyc

I pretty much just use a revolute card for internet purchases. I try to keep my personal bank separate at just let it do its thing. I once had a stopped payment on here and revolute cleared it within a couple of hours of filling in the info of the buyer. I never leave much money on the revolute as I use it as kind of a security barrier between my account and the world of potential dodgey. 

If nothing else it's more encouragement to keep the bare minimum in your bank accounts and transfer the rest to precious metals. I bet the twats charge for having an account and give 0% interest on the balance

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

1 minute ago, HonestMoneyGoldSilver said:

If nothing else it's more encouragement to keep the bare minimum in your bank accounts and transfer the rest to precious metals. I bet the twats charge for having an account and give 0% interest on the balance

I agree. I really hope this post doesn't put people off investing this way. It just adds to the issue that we are being controlled and it'll only get worse. I don't mind them doing it now and again - it's for my protection. It's great for vulnerable elderly people for example. But to block this long. Nope. Not having it! Bye bye!

I think the chase card has a 1% cashback on all purchases. It's a good deal but doesn't go down well with the forum OG's. Spread your funds about is probably the best way. 

Also the thing is with these fintech cards they are much more user friendly than a bank and usually resolve within minutes of logging into the app.

They say it's fraud protection. I know the HMRC have been pushing them all for info and to police the transactions. They're all scrambling to keep hold of the cash for liquidity sake and tax liabilities in-case Mrs Jones want's to sell some of her personal items. Is any tax due and will it be declared to the revenue and in turn the tax/duty be collected. Unfortunately they're pretty much all the same. To combat it a little I have a few accounts in different banks. Each account is used for a specific reason ie:- Personal, Business, savings, Holding account, etc. But it mean's that if one bank freeze the account I have the others to fall back on. Also I use cash as often as possible. I don't like the march towards cashless. It only give's more control of my funds away to third parties. Hope you get it resolved soon.

I'm sure some of you are eager to know the outcome since you have this same hobby - it probably plays on your minds too! I'll update when I hear more.

(I was hoping for more people to confirm they've been in the same boat - and how they sorted it - but maybe not then.... Maybe it's just me 😳😬)

Edited by katyc

17 minutes ago, katyc said:

(I was hoping for more people to confirm they've been in the same boat - and how they sorted it - but maybe not then.... Maybe it's just me 😳😬)

Your not an isolated case. I've heard many say the bank have frozen the account for the simplest of reason's. A friend of mine even had his account frozen because he couldn't remember his over the phone pin. He never used it and only reason they asked him for it was because they kept phoning him to ask if they could help in any way, Loan, re-mortgage, overdraft, up grade his account to a premium account. When he finally agreed to go through the questionnaire they asked him for the numbers (whatever) from his pin, when he couldn't give them, they froze his account. Cost him a morning going in to town, carparking fee's and when he got it sorted they asked him if there was any thing they could do to help him. He said Stop phoning me and blocking my account. 

I’m with Lloyds and wouldn't recommend them for similar reasons.  Their fraud checks meant I missed out on a purchase from the Royal Mint.  Explained to them the impact of their procedure but weren’t interested.  That said, I think they’re all as bad as each other.

9 minutes ago, DW1777 said:

I’m with Lloyds and wouldn't recommend them for similar reasons.  Their fraud checks meant I missed out on a purchase from the Royal Mint.  Explained to them the impact of their procedure but weren’t interested.  That said, I think they’re all as bad as each other.

Did they freeze you from making payments for a few days also?

14 minutes ago, Roy said:

Hi Katy,

It happened to me too, albeit a much larger sum, with a member here.

It's embarrassing!

What I did: Keep on to them, tell them it's unacceptable. When they say '72 hours' blah blah, say no.

Any leeway you give, they will use it.

It will be resolved but what a nuisance eh?

p.s. I'm with Barclays, have been for 45 years and I reminded them of that 😃

Thank you. Did they ask for further info after a few days or just lift the freeze? 

I was going to start printing things off in preparation, but no point risking wasting time if I don't need to 🤷🏼‍♀️

17 minutes ago, katyc said:

Did they freeze you from making payments for a few days also?

Yes, it was about a week.  I responded to the security texts and messaged them.  In the end I had to ring them to sort it out.  Thankfully it was only confined to that transaction.

The annoying thing is that the banks are forcing us to go on-line (who accepts a cheque these days?) and then they block us from carrying out a transaction.

I stopped trying to buy from the RM at 9am on Mondays because my bank would block the transaction, and by the time I'd proved to them that I existed, the item would have gone from my basket.

So, any bank transfers require me to go into my local branch (which does not open on Wednesdays because of Covid), and even then, anything over £2,000 needs to be done at the counter.  I usually take a photocopy of the item I am buying because inevitably they ask what it is for.

4 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

The annoying thing is that the banks are forcing us to go on-line (who accepts a cheque these days?) and then they block us from carrying out a transaction.

I stopped trying to buy from the RM at 9am on Mondays because my bank would block the transaction, and by the time I'd proved to them that I existed, the item would have gone from my basket.

So, any bank transfers require me to go into my local branch (which does not open on Wednesdays because of Covid), and even then, anything over £2,000 needs to be done at the counter.  I usually take a photocopy of the item I am buying because inevitably they ask what it is for.

Wow! What bank is that? They sound a nightmare!