• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

My Bank Have Put a Block on My Account due to a PM Bank Transfer Payment

I had a number of issues with Lloyds, but now find if I put Inv before any description it goes through without issue on both accounts.

I'm working in the assumption their robots assume Inv = Invoice, as I get far less of the dumb questions now and no blocks for a long time.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

Nice one. Worth a try eh!😁

Everybody knows the war is over / Everybody knows the good guys lost
                               Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

“The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”

5 hours ago, Coverte said:

I had a number of issues with Lloyds, but now find if I put Inv before any description it goes through without issue on both accounts.

I'm working in the assumption their robots assume Inv = Invoice, as I get far less of the dumb questions now and no blocks for a long time.

WHat description, do you mean in the reference box?

Progress is a myth. Democracy is a sham. Dumbing down is real.
Throw your mobile 'phone in the bin, it will free you!
Turn your TV off, cancel your licence.
USE CASH WHEREVER POSSIBLE.

• 5 weeks later...

I don't do internet banking, so this afternoon I physically went into my local bank branch in order to make a bank transfer.  I was sending my nephew £1,500 to assist him with buying a car.  With the help of one of the assistants in the bank I made the transfer and my nephew's name matched the account details - all good, or so I thought.   When I got back home, after about 20 minutes I received a phone call from my bank's fraud department.  They had blocked the transfer because it was suspicious.  They then asked me some security questions, but when I asked them to prove they really were the bank they did not like it!  The only way to do this would have been to end the phone call and then ring the bank's fraud number on the back of my card.  As I could not be bothered to do this I continued with the conversation.

I explained I had actually spoken to my nephew in the morning and 5 minutes later he sent me an email with the bank transfer details.  However, they did not like the fact he had emailed me the details.  They thought someone else could have intercepted the email and changed the details - even though their own bank system said the name and the account details matched up!  So, they asked me to put them on hold while I contacted my nephew to confirm the details had not been changed!  Now, as someone who is not very technical, I pointed out if I attempted to put them on hold, this would end the call.  I asked them to phone me back in half an hour by which time I might have been able to phone my nephew.  However, they were not able to phone me back, I would have to phone the fraud department.  As I didn't want to do this I said I would phone my nephew on my other telephone and the person in the fraud department could listen in!  So, holding two phones together next to my ear so the person from the fraud department could listen in, I spoke to my nephew, who confirmed the bank details he sent to me!

And the transfer was unblocked! 

I just don't know how you guys make all these bank transfers.

2 minutes ago, katyc said:

Wow. It's becoming a clown show! 

Although, I've just had a fraud attempt on me - literally an hour ago, which does make me appreciate that all this nonsense does come with some necessity....

Man called me (claiming to be from my business bank) and the telephone number was an ACTUAL bank account fraud dept number that he'd called from. He asked if I'd made a payment to Airbnb from my business card. I said no. So he said he's cancelled my card and will send a new one. And that was that.

It felt weird.... So I called my bank and they confirmed no fraud on my card so it was deffo a scam. I had not given any info out to him (I know to never do that). So what was in it for him? All sorts has been going through my mind and I was freaked out for a bit.

But I remember he said the new card would be something like 12+ days. I thought it seemed a long-time, but I said it's fine.

So, I am just assuming here, but I'm guessing (inspired from something I've just read on the Internet) that they want you to say "I can't wait that many days for a new card" - they need me to panic, then they can go on to say "Well, we can set up a temporary account for you..." (how they get your info). But it backfired because I am in no rush.

Anyway thought I'd share this info because the fact they can intercepted phone numbers to show as a legit bank number just shows how sophisticated scams are becoming.

Royal Mail ‘investigating’ as dozens of bank cards go missing on same street (gbnews.com)  (Dec 2023)

Royal Mail postman stole bank cards from private letters to fund shopping spree - Mirror Online (Aug 2021)

Postal workers 'being paid thousands to steal bank cards' | London Evening Standard | Evening Standard (Sept 2017)

Jailed postman took bank cards from letters to steal £12,000 | The Northern Echo (Mar 2005)

This might be why. Fraudsters get people in certain streets or postcodes to order new cards then steal the cards and PINs to order

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

On 17/01/2024 at 18:43, Earthmetal said:

WHat description, do you mean in the reference box?

Yes, in that Ref box.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

1 hour ago, Zhorro said:

I don't do internet banking

You were pulled up because like you said 'you do not do internet banking'. You will find now that your nephews details are on your account, the next transfer (if there is one ) will go through with no hitch.  

I use one account to buy and sell on this site and have never had a problem. Once someones details are save, the next time I buy from them, it is only two or three clicks and payment goes through.  

Never Chase and Never Regret 

They are getting more sophisticated.

Had an email from telecoms company saying my monthly subscription would be doubling and if i wanted to cancel click on the link. Had my details and account number.

Phoned company and they confirmed the email was from them but the facts were incorrect.

They investigated and found it had happened to others. Turns out someone had hacked their system.  To their credit they told me to set up a 2 step verification and change password.

1 hour ago, Zhorro said:

I don't do internet banking, so this afternoon I physically went into my local bank branch in order to make a bank transfer.  I was sending my nephew £1,500 to assist him with buying a car.  With the help of one of the assistants in the bank I made the transfer and my nephew's name matched the account details - all good, or so I thought.   When I got back home, after about 20 minutes I received a phone call from my bank's fraud department.  They had blocked the transfer because it was suspicious.  They then asked me some security questions, but when I asked them to prove they really were the bank they did not like it!  The only way to do this would have been to end the phone call and then ring the bank's fraud number on the back of my card.  As I could not be bothered to do this I continued with the conversation.

I explained I had actually spoken to my nephew in the morning and 5 minutes later he sent me an email with the bank transfer details.  However, they did not like the fact he had emailed me the details.  They thought someone else could have intercepted the email and changed the details - even though their own bank system said the name and the account details matched up!  So, they asked me to put them on hold while I contacted my nephew to confirm the details had not been changed!  Now, as someone who is not very technical, I pointed out if I attempted to put them on hold, this would end the call.  I asked them to phone me back in half an hour by which time I might have been able to phone my nephew.  However, they were not able to phone me back, I would have to phone the fraud department.  As I didn't want to do this I said I would phone my nephew on my other telephone and the person in the fraud department could listen in!  So, holding two phones together next to my ear so the person from the fraud department could listen in, I spoke to my nephew, who confirmed the bank details he sent to me!

That's disgusting. Once we lose cash, we're royally f****d.

1 hour ago, Zhorro said:

🤮This is a complete joke, this bank should be ashamed of themselves!

And people wonder why Bitcoin keeps going up! It's because of those stupid banks......

1 hour ago, katyc said:

Man called me (claiming to be from my business bank) and the telephone number was an ACTUAL bank account fraud dept number that he'd called from. .

Never trust the number they call from - it’s very easy to spoof using commercially available kit.

I work in a bank and the number of fraud attempts we see on a daily basis is unbelievable. This is the sort of thing we are fighting with at the top end: https://www.asiafinancial.com/video-call-with-deepfakes-costs-uk-firm-25m-in-hong-kong

As technology and AI gets cheaper, everyday people will be getting calls like this from deepfaked relatives & friends etc. Can you imagine the fraud epidemic which is on the way!

52 minutes ago, Clockpuncher said:

Never trust the number they call from - it’s very easy to spoof using commercially available kit.

And never trust email through a phone.

If you can't see the real link behind, don't click anything. They rely on people accessing email through phones because they are more vulnerable.

I would only respond to an email from a PC, where I can see the real link behind. This is a big gotcha.

Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

This is the problem with paperless online.
When they sent a letter to you, it was far, far, more secure.

I once got a phone call from the HSBC fraud department out of the blue, shortly after I had made a foreign currency payment. I told them, "yeah right, scammers, well you can **** off." Then hung up. When I searched up the number to see if it was a scam, it was actually from the HSBC bank fraud department! 😁

So much for "we never phone you".

4 minutes ago, ArgentSmith said:

I watch every Yankee video when he's with Tim. That one is an eye-opener. $1500 fees a month!

20 hours ago, Earthmetal said:

This is the problem with paperless online.
When they sent a letter to you, it was far, far, more secure.

It was also indisputable and immutable

It could be used as proof of fraud, depending on the content.

Now they pretend that everything has to be 'electronic' for speed and efficiency. Bollox.

Without paper and proof of postage from Royal Mail you've got nothing. They can claim anything.