• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint coins… time for quality control again meh 🫤

Silverman2U

So after receiving a whole bunch today I thought yup..  quality control time again! And sure enough already got one going back unless someone can tell me if there should be a hole/chunk if frosting removed on the unicorn. ?!?!? I see why people just buy PF70’s now, you don’t have to forum the gauntlet for a few pennies!! 😂 

PS. This was the piedford sov. 

7EB61138-B4F8-4CD5-903F-FB62085F3693.jpeg

3CECC201-5908-4E18-ACE3-544E229C8995.jpeg

That is an awful example and really shouldn't have been sent out when it's that obvious.

I was really looking forward to getting my set yesterday, but seeing all these posts about dodgy sovereigns arriving really put a downer on the experience before they even arrived (but hey, at least it prepared me for what I ended up receiving!).

I heard from a dealer who just received their sets that they are also very bad (can't type what they actually said, I might get banned!).

It might actually be the Quality Control department at work digging a chunk out to test that it really is gold (91 % or whatever it's supposed to be), because the Mint is no longer sure of what it is doing at any level or stage of production, so bad have things become. So, perhaps you should be grateful to have received a genuine gold coin, tested for purity, albeit otherwise in shocking condition.

(I have actually seen a modern Chile 100 pesos with a comparable, prominent hole in it, allegedly made to test it for purity, though perhaps in this case done by some sceptical dealer or punter.)

Is anyone really suprised anymore? It's like when BYB got his 4 coin set and unboxed it and the 1/4 sov was damaged. The rm couldn't be bothered to send out a good set even to him with his legions of you tube followers for a little good publicity.

The level of disdain show by the rm to it's customers is absolutely staggering!!!

This is where the RM should be investing in technology to identify problems.

It is relatively simple to compare images and could easily be done so on a production line it identify coins that have issues.

The QC at the RM remains awful and damages their reputation.

Not my circus, not my monkeys

2 minutes ago, dicker said:

This is where the RM should be investing in technology to identify problems.

It is relatively simple to compare images and could easily be done so on a production line it identify coins that have issues.

The QC at the RM remains awful and damages their reputation.

It’s just Fiat……..Fix it again tomorrow! 

9 hours ago, Silverman2U said:

So after receiving a whole bunch today I thought yup..  quality control time again! And sure enough already got one going back unless someone can tell me if there should be a hole/chunk if frosting removed on the unicorn. ?!?!? I see why people just buy PF70’s now, you don’t have to forum the gauntlet for a few pennies!! 😂 

PS. This was the piedford sov. 

7EB61138-B4F8-4CD5-903F-FB62085F3693.jpeg

3CECC201-5908-4E18-ACE3-544E229C8995.jpeg

I’ve got some Polyfilla? 

7 hours ago, paulmerton said:

That is an awful example and really shouldn't have been sent out when it's that obvious.

I was really looking forward to getting my set yesterday, but seeing all these posts about dodgy sovereigns arriving really put a downer on the experience before they even arrived (but hey, at least it prepared me for what I ended up receiving!).

I heard from a dealer who just received their sets that they are also very bad (can't type what they actually said, I might get banned!).

Its job creation at RM. If they sent out perfect coins everytimr there will be staffs laid off.

Worry not, I've just had an email from them saying their expert craftsmen and women are working hard to ensure I will receive the best quality products in April for stuff I ordered and paid for last October. I'll sleep easy tonight.

30 minutes ago, PhilOdgny said:

Surely they could implement a camera which photographs each coin and software which compares it against a standard image and flags any with issues?  This is not rocket science.

if they can do it for crisps and other food items then they can do it at RM.  but that would cost money.

Compared to a NGC grader, how long does a RM quality controller have to check a single coin. Is it seconds, a minute or longer? Are they eye-balling or using photogrammetric aids? Are they under pressure to do ‘x’ number per hour? 
Everyone seems critical of RM QC, so what can be done to improve it?……All questions but few answers!

15 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

Compared to a NGC grader, how long does a RM quality controller have to check a single coin. Is it seconds, a minute or longer? Are they eye-balling or using photogrammetric aids? Are they under pressure to do ‘x’ number per hour? 
Everyone seems critical of RM QC, so what can be done to improve it?……All questions but few answers!

I don't know, seems like quite a few answers have been suggested above