• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Proof Sovereign Charles III Portrait - QEII Commemorative Issue - First Photos

LawrenceChard

I am new to collecting sovereigns and was thinking of getting this one but what's everyone's opinion regards which would be better to get either the full sovereign or the half.

Thanks all

34 minutes ago, gav999 said:

I am new to collecting sovereigns and was thinking of getting this one but what's everyone's opinion regards which would be better to get either the full sovereign or the half.

Thanks all

If it's to add to your collection, when you decide which way to go, doesn't matter. If you are thinking of long term appreciation, difficult to say. Half is a lot less mintage but recently similar issues haven't performed as well as the full. The best performing issues tend to increase more in the full sov rather than the half, certainly in 70 graded livery.

Disclaimer: I haven't researched recent increases in absolute % terms, so someome may well shoot me down on this. It's just an impression I get noticing sales.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

while waiting to receive my full sov and to assess the portrait from a more direct perspective i can anticipate (and quite surprisingly i havent read anything on that so far) that i dont like at all the "rendering" of the neck. It's way disproportionate compared to the head's size. 

Historically it was one of the most used way to depict (on coins) a sovereign's strenght/power. Understandable.

Today (and i sorry as i am addressing to most forum users' king) it look just ridicoulous 

6 hours ago, DdraigAur said:

Wow. Well done to the photographer for the flawless image, and the also flawless looking coin. Hopefully we all receive such examples.

The photo also looks like it could be the matte finish.

Thanks for the comments about the photos, we actually tried a few changes to the lighting after this first pair of images.

The raised parts of the design are a typical modern matte finish, but the fields are, or should be highly polished with a mirror finish, however if we photograph them head on with "normal" or direct flash lighting, it produces a dark brown background.

There is some information about our photographic kit and techniques here, which may explain better:

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/coin-photography-kit-taking-photos-the-chards-way/1046

I was working from home today, so I have yet to see these coins "in the flesh", but our photographers usually notice and comment on any defects, no matter how small, and they would generally have shown up on the photographs.

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

5 hours ago, gav999 said:

Thanks all

IMO, you would be better buying one sovereign rather than two halves.

😎

Chards

26 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

@LawrenceChard- This is exactly what the matte proof would look like right? It’s gorgeous. 😍

I’d love to see a similar photograph with the reflective proof fields (although I understand the challenges!) ☺️

I’ll give it a go today for you! 

14 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

@westminstrel some quick snaps for you mate 

12469FE8-D267-429F-9CA3-C0A0C3227C51.jpeg

66DE8040-2DF4-420B-B72E-D4B02DE3AFD0.jpeg

E36B6262-A06A-4143-B42D-150D502E8D4E.jpeg

966602E7-8A03-48DC-9E4C-5B8D818ECE2A.jpeg

EFD5C1A4-63E0-42DA-B0D1-5B3374F114EF.jpeg

Thanks for the effort my friend!

I daresay this is one of the most beautiful modern Sovereigns, if not the most beautiful of modern coins. Period!!!

It re-interprets a classic design, it isn’t afraid to be detailed and intricate, and it is bold in its execution.

It harks back to the coins designed by the “great engravers” of old.

I absolutely see this becoming a classic in the true sense of the term.

Huge kudos to Jody Clark! 

3 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Should I tell Doug and Christian?

😎

This was taken on a south facing window angled at about 30 deg, shot with my iPhone13 pro x2 macro with the phone upside down to get some reflective fields. 

9 minutes ago, Goldfever20 said:

This is my favourite photo, well done @GoldDiggerDave this sovereign looks stunning!!! I can't wait for my big set.

EFD5C1A4-63E0-42DA-B0D1-5B3374F114EF.thumb.jpeg.fef790ce4bc4c5c3ae2dab05e9f8ac91.jpeg

Cheers mate me too, what did you go for the 4 or the 5?   

10 minutes ago, Goldfever20 said:

This is my favourite photo, well done @GoldDiggerDave this sovereign looks stunning!!! I can't wait for my big set.

9 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Should I tell Doug and Christian?

😎

Now I've seen a shiny one, I think I prefer Chards' matt one😎

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon