• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Postal strike stopping you buying ?

pricha

1 hour ago, PhilOdgny said:

If you needed leverage in a dispute would you pick the least disruptive time?

Absolutely. 

That's how Arthur Scargill screwed up major and pretty much all the miners and union officials were too thick to realise.

If you knock out coal to burn and make lots of warmth and leccy then the time to go on strike is approaching winter. Not when they did.

And telegraphing intent were stupid too: Thatcher's Government had boat loads of Aussie coal en route. 

So the Posties definitely picked the right time. I'm waiting for public anger at the greedy so and so's in the NHS. 19% my backside, I'd sack the chuffing lot and let any nice foreign healthcare folk come over.

On 22/12/2022 at 22:46, Midasfrog said:

Yes it puts me off buying and it puts me off selling , will wait until things have settled down in the New Year

The whole of December has been written off almost 🤕

thumbnail_IMG_4164.png

Don't think you can add Border Force. No one noticed other than a better service. 😂 

2 minutes ago, AaaGee said:

Hope they pull their fingers out soon.

Got 2 gold coins and (soon to be) a Panda floating about in the ether.

Wouldnt mind getting to see them at some point.

Last few months was bad but December was brutal. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Just now, James32 said:

Last few months was bad but December was brutal. 

Yeh, i bought a coin for a mate for Christmas. Hasn't turned up yet.

Im not happy with my job and working conditions. I think ill probably not bother striking, ill just find another job in the new year that im happy with.

On 24/12/2022 at 22:28, AaaGee said:

Got a Panda floating about in the ether.

Wouldnt mind getting to see them at some point.

Here you go mate:

Screenshot 2022-12-27 at 15.21.18.png

Progress is a myth. Democracy is a sham. Dumbing down is real.
Throw your mobile 'phone in the bin, it will free you!
Turn your TV off, cancel your licence.
USE CASH WHEREVER POSSIBLE.

Ironically, I'm waiting for stamps to arrive so I can post stuff. 😑

51 minutes ago, PhilOdgny said:

You can buy postage online now and even get them to collect parcels from you.

https://send.royalmail.com/

You can indeed, but this is just one more way they are trying to get rid of the local post office. Use cash and support the local PO or risk losing them for good! 

27 minutes ago, Fishface220 said:

You can indeed, but this is just one more way they are trying to get rid of the local post office. Use cash and support the local PO or risk losing them for good! 

Exactly, the Czech t**t wants to turn them into just another crappy courier service.
Cash is king!

Just now, Earthmetal said:

Exactly, the Czech t**t wants to turn them into just another crappy courier service.
Cash is king!

My New years resolution is. When in person, always use cash. Use it or loose it. My small attempt to halt the ever approaching cashless society. Apparently, 6 out of 10 transactions is now done cashless.  

7 minutes ago, ZRPMs said:

My New years resolution is. When in person, always use cash. Use it or loose it. My small attempt to halt the ever approaching cashless society. Apparently, 6 out of 10 transactions is now done cashless.  

Absolutely! People who think they're somehow cool or clever by not carrying cash are just total ***** in my opinion.

6 hours ago, Fishface220 said:

I generally agree on principle.  However, when I recently visited my local post office around 5:20pm after finishing work at 5pm only to be treated like a nutter expecting them to still be open after 5pm ... they are really not doing themselves any favours.  Then when I visited the next day in my lunchbreak and they tried to upsell me from Signed For (recommended by Passport Office) to SD for an item (old passport for renewal which the counter staff correctly guessed) that was literally going about 3 miles as the crow flies (but I couldn't deliver by hand as it was a PO Box address which did not exist on the map but must be a nearby non-descript building) and then argued with me when I pointed this out ... they really are NOT doing themselves any favours.

The suitability or otherwise of Signed For would apply whether bought online with Paypal or over the counter with coins.

5 hours ago, PhilOdgny said:

I generally agree on principle.  However, when I recently visited my local post office around 5:20pm after finishing work at 5pm only to be treated like a nutter expecting them to still be open after 5pm ... they are really not doing themselves any favours.  Then when I visited the next day in my lunchbreak and they tried to upsell me from Signed For (recommended by Passport Office) to SD for an item (old passport for renewal which the counter staff correctly guessed) that was literally going about 3 miles as the crow flies (but I couldn't deliver by hand as it was a PO Box address which did not exist on the map but must be a nearby non-descript building) and then argued with me when I pointed this out ... they really are NOT doing themselves any favours.

Unfortunately I agree with the opening times but that seems to be the way banks have gone as well (that’s even if you still have an open branch near you). My post office is in a McColls which is shutting down in January which means the PO is closing as well.... fine for me as I can just jump in my car and head to another one but for elderly in my area they are screwed! Yep, it’s annoying when you’ve got one or two parcels to drop off and “Mavis” in front is having a good old chat about “Doris” next door but I can suck that up if it means keeping a vital service in my area for the ones who truely need it. Another barbers or vape shop ain’t needed that’s for sure! 

Can’t say I’ve ever had a hard sales approach from the staff in mine and after waiting over a week for a couple of SD, I might have just stuck a 2nd class stamp on and took the gamble 

On 24/12/2022 at 22:36, AaaGee said:

Yeh, i bought a coin for a mate for Christmas. Hasn't turned up yet.

Im not happy with my job and working conditions. I think ill probably not bother striking, ill just find another job in the new year that im happy with.

But if people leave for a better job how does it help you to get your coin any quicker ? You assume there are millions of others wanting the dreadful pay and even worse conditions.  I wouldn't bet on that. The service will be destroyed. Then what ? DPD may drop your coin on the doorstep... or they may not as they can't get staff because of the dreadful pay and conditions.  No cheap foreign slaves are available because of Brexit and all the youngsters won't leave their laptops. 😂 just as millions of baby boomers are due to be carted off to the old folks home are about to find out they'll have no staff to look after them. And all because the nurses left because they weren't happy with pay and conditions.  

Edited by pricha

3 minutes ago, pricha said:

But if people leave for a better job how does it help you to get your coin any quicker ? You assume there are millions of others wanting the dreadful pay and even worse conditions.  I wouldn't bet on that. The service will be destroyed. Then what ? DPD may drop your coin on the doorstep... or they may not as they can't get staff because of the dreadful pay and conditions.  No cheap foreign slaves are available because of Brexit and all the youngsters won't leave their laptops. 😂 

Is it really dreadfull pay? They can afford to strike. Do they get paid whilst they are stood on the picket lines?

If it is then they should find something that pays better. Im sure if the people who wanted to leave, left. There would be a que as far as the eye can see of people to replace them by people that would appreciate having work. Ive never met a skint postman and i know a few.

Just to say, im not against unions. They can be very usefull/helpfull im sure.

Also im sure i heard on the radio that just over half voted to strike. That means that just under half didnt?

52 minutes ago, AaaGee said:

Is it really dreadfull pay? They can afford to strike. Do they get paid whilst they are stood on the picket lines?

If it is then they should find something that pays better. Im sure if the people who wanted to leave, left. There would be a que as far as the eye can see of people to replace them by people that would appreciate having work. Ive never met a skint postman and i know a few.

Also im sure i heard on the radio that just over half voted to strike. That means that just under half didnt?

You don’t get paid whilst on strike. If just over half voted to strike that’s called a majority. 

Considering the weather today that the post women here are working in and obviously do regularly, can’t see many getting off their a**e to do the job🤔

If you don’t travel by train or currently need to fly then you don’t care about the current rash of strikes, but oh no! I need the post! Suddenly you’re effected ….. 😮

It's a problem with an ageing workforce that are mainly institutionalised. Change is never easy to a point. But

For instance.  If all of a sudden after 30 years a company told you you'd have to work 9am till 9pm on a Sunday , which would produce larger profits for the company without any reward in pay for the change I'm sure everyone would happily accept that 😂 

Unfortunately it's never as easy as wanting more pay full stop. 

After all, the changes won't always improve customer service,  then they'll be the first to moan. Reduced deliveries  during the week and the closing of all enquire offices also the outsourcing of mail to car owners who'd be self employed.  I personally wouldn't want a package of gold coins trusted to some bloke who's got a car and was dragged off the street last week because they were short staffed.  

Edited by pricha

4 hours ago, AaaGee said:

Your hearing must be bad . It was 97.1 voted in favour.  And for the queue as far as the eye can see . Our offices have 35 unfilled vacancies all last year. 

Edited by pricha