• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Portfolio apps

Hi all, 

I'm not new to investing, but I am relatively new to investing in silver and gold. With other investments (index funds, individual stocks and shares, etc.), dedicated apps exist for tracking your portfolio, presumably because you can invest through these apps and they take a fee. So I wondered, are there any apps out there for tracking your physical precious metals investments and/or collections? Or do we all just stick to Excel or the old pen and paper?

Cheers guys.

EDIT: I should add, I have looked for this sort of thing. I just haven't found anything worthwhile yet.

Edited by geowill989

17 minutes ago, geowill989 said:

Hi all, 

I'm not new to investing, but I am relatively new to investing in silver and gold. With other investments (index funds, individual stocks and shares, etc.), dedicated apps exist for tracking your portfolio, presumably because you can invest through these apps and they take a fee. So I wondered, are there any apps out there for tracking your physical precious metals investments and/or collections? Or do we all just stick to Excel or the old pen and paper?

Cheers guys.

EDIT: I should add, I have looked for this sort of thing. I just haven't found anything worthwhile yet.

Not aware of any apps personally, but a simple spreadsheet with the year and  type of coin/bar , date bought and price paid will suffice. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

23 minutes ago, geowill989 said:

Hi all, 

Cheers guys.

3 minutes ago, James32 said:

Not aware of any apps personally, but a simple spreadsheet with the year and  type of coin/bar , date bought and price paid will suffice. 

I find pen and paper don't work very well in Excel

(Or the superior, but now defunct Supercalc)!

😎

Chards

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to bring back a old thread but is Google sheets private? 

Out of ease I have been keeping a tally of recent purchases through my phone. Am I kidding myself to think that it is private like excel?

Whether you use an app or Google sheets don’t make much difference - the data is stored in the cloud. If it’s online, someone has access to it!

The only difference is that an app might be less trustworthy depending on the developer. In that regard Google might be more ”trustworthy” (relatively speaking).

As for who *you* decide to give access to, that can be controlled by you in Google sheets with the available privacy / sharing settings.

13 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Whether you use an app or Google sheets don’t make much difference - the data is stored in the cloud. If it’s online, someone has access to it!

The only difference is that an app might be less trustworthy depending on the developer. In that regard Google might be more ”trustworthy” (relatively speaking).

As for who *you* decide to give access to, that can be controlled by you in Google sheets with the available privacy / sharing settings.

Sorry that’s not correct.

You have a very distinct choice where Excel data is stored.  I chose not to put anything in the cloud.

Not my circus, not my monkeys

15 hours ago, dicker said:

Google sheets is entirely private unless you specifically chose to share your sheet with others or the world.  Assume you are saving on a Google drive?

Yes saving on Google drive. I have many spread sheets on there for my personal finances. 

27 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

No way would I record my PM’s on a 3rd parties app.  

Would you consider Google sheets 3rd party?

43 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

@Bigmarc for me mate I’m old fashioned, a pen and paper or even a bag with a label on it is simple enough for me.  

I use to use Excel, but don't even open my laptop anymore so have been using Google sheets. I use it for most things and have even got one set up to work out what to bid on for coin bundles on eBay. To be honest Dave, I think you are right and maybe go back to the old black and red books to keep it private. I recently set up a hardware wallet. After all the technology involved you still had to write your passwords down on a piece of paper and recommend never to take photos or type it in anywhere. 

52 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

@Bigmarc for me mate I’m old fashioned, a pen and paper or even a bag with a label on it is simple enough for me.  

Love this.. my blue print is in my head or a book/diary..that I barely ever look at.

It's about weighing up efficiency versus risk.

Yes my jotter could be found I guess,but if someone can read my handwriting..they deserve everything they can get😅

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

3 minutes ago, James32 said:

My thrap mag collection is in a book/diary..that I barely ever look at except the thrapp mags.

It's about weighing up efficiency versus risk, not getting caught by Mrs @James32 olging at my 1969 copy of big jugs, luckily she thinks its about art neauveau pottery!

FTFY

Edited by HerefordBullyun

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454