• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1839 sovereign

refero

25 minutes ago, refero said:

Sharing today one of my most beloved sovs; everyone usually chases 1838 which is a lovely, and expensive sovereign, but not that rare even in high grade. Being the first year of Victoria, it has been kept and stored carefully since the beginning... but few did the same with the following year, which was looking like just one amongst the others (same happened for 1841); this coin is therefore very elusive in medium to high grade, and, quite surprisingly, pops more often in its proof version rather than the bullion one..

1839 ex BSJ 57 Lotto 38.jpg

Actually, a lot, possibly most, 1838 sovereigns got melted down.

"The American diplomat Richard Rush was dispatched to England by President Andrew Jackson to collect the bequest. Rush returned in August 1838 with 105 sacks containing 104,960 gold sovereigns."

😎

Chards

30 minutes ago, refero said:

Sharing today one of my most beloved sovs; everyone usually chases 1838 which is a lovely, and expensive sovereign, but not that rare even in high grade. Being the first year of Victoria, it has been kept and stored carefully since the beginning... but few did the same with the following year, which was looking like just one amongst the others (same happened for 1841); this coin is therefore very elusive in medium to high grade, and, quite surprisingly, pops more often in its proof version rather than the bullion one..

Now that really is something to admire, envy, and keep.

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

"The American diplomat Richard Rush was dispatched to England by President Andrew Jackson to collect the bequest. Rush returned in August 1838 with 105 sacks containing 104,960 gold sovereigns."

Thanks for this piece of history that i didnt personally know. Nonetheless, an original 1838 population of 2.718.694 was solid enough to sustain a significative melting or other loss during the decades where 1839 started with a poor 503.695 mintage, which of course explains why this year is that sought after nowadays.

In terms of grading there is no match; 

1838 (NGC and PCGS combined); 67 in MS (highest grading being a single MS66, with 17 in MS64, one to be auctioneed next 1 August at Heritage); and other 32 in Au58

1839; (NGC and PCGS combined); 13 in MS, (highest grading being a single MS65; and other 3 in AU58)

2 hours ago, refero said:

Thanks for this piece of history that i didnt personally know. Nonetheless, an original 1838 population of 2.718.694 was solid enough to sustain a significative melting or other loss during the decades where 1839 started with a poor 503.695 mintage, which of course explains why this year is that sought after nowadays.

In terms of grading there is no match; 

1838 (NGC and PCGS combined); 67 in MS (highest grading being a single MS66, with 17 in MS64, one to be auctioneed next 1 August at Heritage); and other 32 in Au58

1839; (NGC and PCGS combined); 13 in MS, (highest grading being a single MS65; and other 3 in AU58)

I would not argue with any of that.

Your 1839 looks a very nice coin, well worth a Chards photo, and yes I am aware that 1839 is a slight "sleeper" date. this often happens with the second or penultimate year of a design, people fixate on the first and last, whereas the cognosecenti keep an open mind.

BTW Whearabouts in Italy are you?

Dove sono lei, in Italia!

😎

Chards

Don't forget James Smithson who donated 100,000 1838 sovereigns toward the founding of the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, DC. These were promptly melted & possibly restruck into US gold coins.

8 hours ago, DaKine said:

Don't forget James Smithson who donated 100,000 1838 sovereigns toward the founding of the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, DC. These were promptly melted & possibly restruck into US gold coins.

https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_1170352

Not my circus, not my monkeys

On 06/07/2022 at 13:12, LawrenceChard said:

do you have any hypotesis about the very low 1839 and 1841 full sovereign original mintage? i love when history and numismatic mix...

On 06/07/2022 at 12:12, LawrenceChard said:

😎

I wonder how many sacks @James32 ordered? 😁

Seriously nice 1839 sovereign by the way. The earliest of the shield dates are by far the most attractive.

30 minutes ago, refero said:

do you have any hypotesis about the very low 1839 and 1841 full sovereign original mintage? i love when history and numismatic mix...

I would surmise that like today they only ordered what was required. Some years nothing was ordered (see 1840 and 1867), other years perhaps smaller mintages to top up. Perhaps the 1839 and 1841 mintages were simply topping up for all the 1838 ones that were exported and melted, as well as some extra for natural wastage - obviously some older Georgian coins would have fallen below their legal tender weight and were being pruned on an as needed basis.

Mintages got a lot higher in later decades due to the expansion of the £sd system throughout the empire, the economy of the country was growing but also because there was a conscious effort to improve the circulating specie by replacing underweight coins.

1 hour ago, refero said:

No specific information, but I guess they had minted enough 1838s, so didn't need to make many more.

The usual supply and demand balancing.

😎

Chards

On 07/07/2022 at 13:00, DaKine said:

That's what this was about:

and 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smithsonian_Institution#Founding

😎

Chards

1 hour ago, SidS said:

I wonder how many sacks @James32 ordered? 😁

He sent them back because some were scuffed. They didn't come in capsules or even tubes in those days.

Bloody sacks, I ask you, what sort of quality assurance does that provide?

The Americans were even worse stackers. The coins had bagmarks when they opened the sacks, so they melted them all down, and turned them into $10 gold eagles.

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

Just now, LawrenceChard said:

...so they melted them all down, and turned them $10 into gold eagles.

😎

Which they then threw into their own mint bags, sewed up and sent them on a long bumpy carriage ride out to the west.

37 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

If 1838 sovereigns were melted down and turned into $10 Liberty Eagles, how would they have resolved the gold alloy issue from 22ct to 21.6ct (900) …….?👎 Or have I missed something!?

If you melt something down that is made from more than one substance then they will separate, so whatever was in with the gold to make the original alloy will end up in reduced amounts?

On 06/07/2022 at 12:12, LawrenceChard said:

😎

On 07/07/2022 at 13:00, DaKine said:

Bloody Americans melting our history. 😆

9 hours ago, Petra said:

If you melt something down that is made from more than one substance then they will separate, so whatever was in with the gold to make the original alloy will end up in reduced amounts?

If it's 91.6% gold and you want to reduce it to 90% then surely you'd simply add in extra copper to the required amount to bring it down to the correct number.

30 minutes ago, SidS said:

If it's 91.6% gold and you want to reduce it to 90% then surely you'd simply add in extra copper to the required amount to bring it down to the correct number.

Yes, but they have to melt them first. Then find out what you have left in the pot and if wanted, add anything else you are using

26 minutes ago, SidS said:

That’s exactly what I was thinking!  I didn’t understand Petra’s answer. Production of the $10 Liberty Eagle started in 1838. It weighs 16.72 g (about 2 x 1 Sovereign) so that consignment of 104,960 could convert to over 50,000, taking into account an adjustment for the 900 gold ie addition of copper - Simple!😺

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/07/2022 at 22:32, Petra said:

I don't know where you have got that from, but it is certainly incorrect as far a metals are concerned.

I am at a loss to think of anything which behaves as you describe, perhaps you could inform me, and the rest of TSF of course.

😎

Chards

On 06/07/2022 at 11:44, refero said:

Wow great condition