• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

A Harrods Bank PAMP 1 Ounce Gold Bar

On 26/03/2022 at 19:40, James32 said:

You live  beside Harrods?

On 12/01/2022 at 18:58, AuricGoldfinger said:

So I’ve just had the email from Harrods fot a blackbay Harrods edition. £3000

should i take it? Can’t say i think I’ll wear it. Plus got to get down there within 7 days…

On 05/11/2021 at 11:03, Pete said:

Slightly off topic but it does relate to your question in a manner of speaking.
Many years ago I was invited to a private wine tasting by a seriously wealthy friend of mine living in California.
He had bought a book with the title the World's 100 Most Expensive Wines - or something similar to this.
He had managed to procure 6 from the top 10 in this book.
We sipped each in turn, rinsing our palate with water and spitting into the bucket etc etc making it all proper.
I kid you not - none of these wines tasted, in my opinion, any better than a decent bottle from Aldi or Tesco that would typically cost you about £12.
There was 1 bottle that I didn't even like at all and none of us drank it and this was in the top 5 costing perhaps $1500 or so.

As for whisky I very much doubt there is any improvement in a whisky beyond 15 years ageing in a cask.
Price will be determined by quantity available and also what the market will bear.
Take a trip in to Harrods food hall and see what prices can be on common goods and be amazed that people actually pay this.
I have a cousin that was a very senior executive, now retired, that was essentially in charge of most of the malt whisky production in Scotland.
He literally had every bottle of every malt on shelves at home including the multi-grand ££ whiskies.
At a funeral wake I asked him if I could buy him a drink from the bar and he asked for a regular inexpensive Bells and that had nothing to do with price just his personal taste.
I am happy with malts 10 - 15 years old costing maybe up to £40 a bottle and anything beyond that is possibly snobbery and I would hate to compare as tastes are so varied by origin rather than price.

On 18/10/2021 at 16:04, Martlet said:

That's a great link, well presented data. Not sure where your got 2021 numbers from.  When i ran, food gave £23, and looking at the break down i'd say thats Waitrose prices (or even Harrods).  For the per ounce of silver, 1921 would have been 3.1 oz for the basket, 2021 would be 1.4 ounces. Purchasing power of silver in the supermarket has doubled in 100 years. 

Interesting one is petrol, usually see this as driver of inflation.  Both the US example and this UK one show a large fall in prices of petrol, once you account for taxes applied today that weren't then. 

Did someone mention Harrods?

😎

Chards

14 hours ago, Stuntman said:

Regarding the bar, purely from an aesthetic perspective I don't like it and certainly wouldn't pay a 'Harrrods' premium for it unless I was a really big fan of the store.  Or unless I was Mohamed Fayed 😉

I agree, although the design is clean, simple and inoffensive.

At least it was produced by PAMP, not  Mohamed (call me Al) Fayed!

😎

Chards

I have one I bought of 1 them for myself as a birthday gift.

If I remember rightly premium was not huge.

If you want I can get you the exact price paid at the time.

I believe they no longer do these bars now. 

Edited by Tn21

1 hour ago, Tn21 said:

I have one I bought of them for myself as a birthday gift for myself. 

I wouldn't mind knowing the exact PREMIUM paid at the time.

😎

Chards

When they used to sell them, if I remember rightly the premium wasn't massive at all, maybe 6-8% over spot. They certainly weren't selling them as something super special to justify a super premium price 

On 01/06/2022 at 17:50, LawrenceChard said:

Slightly off topic but it does relate to your question in a manner of speaking.
Many years ago I was invited to a private wine tasting by a seriously wealthy friend of mine living in California.
He had bought a book with the title the World's 100 Most Expensive Wines - or something similar to this.
He had managed to procure 6 from the top 10 in this book.
We sipped each in turn, rinsing our palate with water and spitting into the bucket etc etc making it all proper.
I kid you not - none of these wines tasted, in my opinion, any better than a decent bottle from Aldi or Tesco that would typically cost you about £12.
There was 1 bottle that I didn't even like at all and none of us drank it and this was in the top 5 costing perhaps $1500 or so.

As for whisky I very much doubt there is any improvement in a whisky beyond 15 years ageing in a cask.
Price will be determined by quantity available and also what the market will bear.
Take a trip in to Harrods food hall and see what prices can be on common goods and be amazed that people actually pay this.
I have a cousin that was a very senior executive, now retired, that was essentially in charge of most of the malt whisky production in Scotland.
He literally had every bottle of every malt on shelves at home including the multi-grand ££ whiskies.
At a funeral wake I asked him if I could buy him a drink from the bar and he asked for a regular inexpensive Bells and that had nothing to do with price just his personal taste.
I am happy with malts 10 - 15 years old costing maybe up to £40 a bottle and anything beyond that is possibly snobbery and I would hate to compare as tastes are so varied by origin rather than price

Tend to agree, label collectors I call them. Wine to be drunk, bottle to be refilled!

9 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

😎£

£1037 in Oct 2017 was the cost of the bar delivered 

Edited by Tn21

10 hours ago, Tn21 said:

I have one I bought of 1 them for myself as a birthday gift.

9 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

😎

7 hours ago, Paul said:

When they used to sell them, if I remember rightly the premium wasn't massive at all, maybe 6-8% over spot. They certainly weren't selling them as something super special to justify a super premium price 

On 01/06/2022 at 21:46, Stuntman said:

Regarding the bar, purely from an aesthetic perspective I don't like it and certainly wouldn't pay a 'Harrrods' premium for it unless I was a really big fan of the store.  Or unless I was Mohamed Fayed 😉

I do remember Harrods getting, possibly free, national publicity when it announced it was selling one kilo gold bars, but they were about 2-3% higher premium than we would have been asking at the time.

I think they may have offered them in their own wooden box, but it's a long time ago.

Chards

On 03/06/2022 at 20:53, Tn21 said:

£1037 in Oct 2017 was the cost of the bar delivered 

Something in the region of 5% ish over spot then, which for a niche product could be worse. Are they considered collectible now?