• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

To stack or not to stack?

Longjon

On 24/04/2022 at 23:47, Pete said:

So to summarise - PMs will rise in price BUT this is due to the purchasing power of money falling i.e. devaluing.
Governments love this because taking out a 50 year loan at 0.1% interest means the billions borrowed will be repaid by peppercorns.

Very true but so will your mortgage. If you get a long fixed term mortgage then you are likely to ride any inflationary erosion of value. Wages will go up, mortgage remains fixed but declines in real terms. Ted Heath's Threshold Agreement in the 70s helped tremendously. Wages went up 2% less than inflation (went up to 27%) for most workers which made our overstretched mortgages affordable.

On 22/04/2022 at 06:25, Longjon said:

I was wondering how everyone feels at the moment regarding buying/stacking. With the war in Ukraine and inflation driving up the price of precious metals (among other things!)at the beginning of the year, is 2022 going to see a downward trend in the price of gold and silver?. 

I'm personally stacking for the future. I'm planning to hold my precious metals for 20-40 years. I think they are the best method to protect against inflation.

Also remember to gift your young relatives with some bullion coins from time to time on their birthdays and Christmas time. Those coins would appropriate in value throughout life.

Just now, GoldDabbler said:

Kids being kids they would probably do what I did when I was given my dads 'coins of the realm' collection, as they were still in circulation I spent them. On a comic, a packet of Space Invaders and a Strawberry milkshake. 

valuable collection then? 😂

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

20 minutes ago, flyingveepixie said:

My kids would just lose 'em !  🥴

Here is a work around which I found helpful. I actually bought coins albums for my nieces and nephews, and I wrote their names on it. Then I put the silver coins inside the albums and I secure it with staples so it does not get removed (and of course I educated them about the value of these coins and that the value would increase year by year; so when they are old enough and they want to buy a house or car; those coins will be helpful to them).

17 minutes ago, GoldDabbler said:

Kids being kids they would probably do what I did when I was given my dads 'coins of the realm' collection, as they were still in circulation I spent them. On a comic, a packet of Space Invaders and a Strawberry milkshake. 

Haha, that's exactly what I did with both my own and my sisters  "Britains first Decimal Coins"  sets - you remember the one which came in a little blue wallet back in 1971.  I spent the lot on fags.

2 hours ago, flyingveepixie said:

Haha, that's exactly what I did with both my own and my sisters  "Britains first Decimal Coins"  sets - you remember the one which came in a little blue wallet back in 1971.  I spent the lot on fags.

😁 my mum went ape when she found coins missing from ours!

3 hours ago, flyingveepixie said:

What do parents expect? They make you spend the first few years of your life being taught about money and how to spend it and then give you money and expect you not to spend it. :D 

17 hours ago, flyingveepixie said:

To be fair though those sets are ten a penny and you probably did better by spending them.

I wonder how many cigs you could buy with such a set now?

A new measure of inflation... 😁

5 minutes ago, SidS said:

To be fair though those sets are ten a penny and you probably did better by spending them.

I wonder how many cigs you could buy with such a set now?

A new measure of inflation... 😁

18.5p, you wouldn't get one, they're 75p for a straight today, maybe a rollie if you ask nicely?

1 hour ago, LemmyMcGregor said:

18.5p, you wouldn't get one, they're 75p for a straight today, maybe a rollie if you ask nicely?

Back in the day - circa 1972-3 you could get a pack of ten No10 and a book of matches for nine and a half peeee. I think a pack of 20 fags nowadays costs around £10...  I dunno for sure though as I don't smoke anymore..

Edited by flyingveepixie

20 minutes ago, flyingveepixie said:

Back in the day - circa 1972-3 you could get a pack of ten No10 and a book of matches for nine and a half peeee

Great product to stack if you are worried about inflation. It's probably the only product out there that is guaranteed to go up in price and there is no sell by date, stored correctly you can get 3 years out of it. Just make sure you buy it from a reputable tax paying merchant and don't sell it on down the pub 😉

28 minutes ago, flyingveepixie said:

Back in the day - circa 1972-3 you could get a pack of ten No10 and a book of matches for nine and a half peeee. I think a pack of 20 fags nowadays costs around £10...  I dunno for sure though as I don't smoke anymore..

Closer to 14-15 quid nowadays. I vape.

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

22 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

Closer to 14-15 quid nowadays. I vape.

Never tried the vaping thing. Fortunately I packed it all in well before vaping was invented or I'd probably be stuck on that now.  Tried to quit lots of times using all different fancy methods and techniques but in the end just chucked the packet out the van window one day and said to myself I wasn't going to do it anymore. It worked.

Just now, flyingveepixie said:

Never tried the vaping thing. Fortunately I packed it all in well before vaping was invented or I'd probably be stuck on that now.  Tried to quit lots of times using all different fancy methods and techniques but in the end just chucked the packet out the van window one day and said to myself I wasn't going to do it anymore. It worked.

I used to smoke. Smoked more embassies than the SAS. gave up 7 years ago

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

23 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

I've quite both now, just weighting for the next addiction to come along, I'm hoping it's something like salads.

I thought we were all here to deal with our Silver addiction. Else, bacon.

12 minutes ago, flyingveepixie said:

Vaping is how I started smoking again.

I packed up about 7 years ago, went about 8 months without a fag and was perfectly happy with it, but it was when all this vape craze came by and everyone and their cat switched to vaping and all I would hear was "why don't you try?", essentially peer pressure, so after months of hearing it I gave it a shot, few months later I thought it didn't taste as good as Lucky Strike and went to buy my first box in a year. Quit again last year for good, I'm about to stop going to the pub as well, was discussing it with a mate last week, it's a waste of money and time that can be put to better use, if a mate wants a drink can come with meat and we fire the barbie while tasting some homebrewed mead, and with a premium cut it'll still be cheaper than going to the pub.

2 hours ago, LemmyMcGregor said:

I didn't mean the face value of the coins, what's the collector value of the set and would it make £10 for a pack of cigs?

11 minutes ago, LemmyMcGregor said:

we fire the barbie while tasting some homebrewed mead, and with a premium cut it'll still be cheaper than going to the pub.

Mead? Is it 12AD?  :D

29 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

I used to smoke. Smoked more embassies than the SAS. gave up 7 years ago

Yeah me too, was munching my way through 30 a day at one point.  Finally ditched it 20 years ago when the cough got so bad it became embarrassing.   Anyway, I didn't mean to hijack the thread so we better get back on track..  🤣

44 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

I used to smoke. Smoked more embassies than the SAS.

Let's not move on too quickly. I'm still enjoying this comment from Bully.

For what it's worth, my favourite comment about smoking is from Blackadder Goes Forth:  "I only smoke after sex. So back in England, I'm a 20-a-day man." - classic