• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Are the ultra low 2001-2009 Sovereign mintages for real?

Divmad

OK, I've invested in a revised copy of The Gold Sovereign Series, by Michael Marsh.

I've studied the mintage numbers for QEII and the "normal" state mintages for the years 2001-2009 run between 60,292 (2009) and a low of 27,628 (2007). Then there are even smaller numbers minted in proof state.

Are these low numbers really accurate? Or are they somehow just the sales by RM in a fancy box with a COA, but in BU state, and more released in just a plastic flip case, like they are now? I say this, because for the 2016 issue, Marsh (Steve Hill now) states a total of just 1,750 in normal state, but adding..."+bullion issue".

Anyone know?

I think they are almost certainly accurate.  Gold was fairly unloved and uncollected back then, because the price was low and many people didn't see the value.  The price only really started to get going in 2006-07 and then the financial crisis played a part in the change in the gold price trajectory from late 2007 to about 2012.

I have 2003-06 bullion sovereigns (won them as prizes in a previous sporting life) and I would certainly recommend buying any 2003-08 bullion sovereign at bullion prices (excluding the 2005 which will always command a slight premium), in case the collector/numismatic market subsequently places a premium on them because of their relative scarcity.

I would happily pick up a 2007 in particular.

Edited by Stuntman
clarifying about the 2005 - special reverse design...

17 hours ago, Divmad said:

OK, I've invested in a revised copy of The Gold Sovereign Series, by Michael Marsh.

I've studied the mintage numbers for QEII and the "normal" state mintages for the years 2001-2009 run between 60,292 (2009) and a low of 27,628 (2007). Then there are even smaller numbers minted in proof state.

Are these low numbers really accurate? Or are they somehow just the sales by RM in a fancy box with a COA, but in BU state, and more released in just a plastic flip case, like they are now? I say this, because for the 2016 issue, Marsh (Steve Hill now) states a total of just 1,750 in normal state, but adding..."+bullion issue".

Anyone know?

1 hour ago, sovereignsteve said:

I think we need a well known North West bullion and coin dealer to input here?😉

I can't think who that might be, but I would seriously doubt the 1,750 figure for 2016 bullion sovereigns, and suspect there is a missing zero or two.

I would have guessed that @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer would have handled at least 5,000 of them.

Perhaps the figure quoted is for "B.U.". A few years ago, the RM stopped publishing mintage figures for some of its bullion products, citing commercial sensitivity as the reason.

Chards

I get that there are much fewer coins in 'circulation' but 27k sovs in 2007 is still a lot of coins for a standard design sov with nothing remarkable about the year or design. Will any of those years become sought after because of low mintage figures? I'd guess not in my lifetime. Maybe in 100 years, but I can't personally see it when there are so many other offerings out there.