• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Why still buying Silver over Gold in the UK ?

Centauri167

Like I mentioned in the topic about bullion gold in the UK, I am really intrigued why people ( you guys here on the forum ) still buy new silver in the UK were you have to pay such high premiums and VAT on if you can buy Gold without VAT and with normal premiums ?

And the second question is when you still buy silver at those prices, you still see it as a good/ safe investment ?

I hope many of the UK members on this forum will answer and give their view on this subject. 🙂

2 hours ago, Centauri167 said:

Like I mentioned in the topic about bullion gold in the UK, I am really intrigued why people ( you guys here on the forum ) still buy new silver in the UK were you have to pay such high premiums and VAT on if you can buy Gold without VAT and with normal premiums ?

And the second question is when you still buy silver at those prices, you still see it as a good/ safe investment ?

I hope many of the UK members on this forum will answer and give their view on this subject. 🙂

Good question ..really good question 👍
For me personally I buy and flip silver and any profit made is deducted off of the cost of the small amount I keep for my self,  so for example if I can get a tube of x20 1 oz rounds and spread the cost of that invoice over 19 I get one for nothing 🤷‍♂️ , or spread the cost of that invoice over 18 and get to keep 2 at a lower price point ..  I also find it easier to buy and flip silver as it's more in people's price range of affordability compared to gold , however if I wasn't buying silver to flip it and keep a small amount for myself at the cost of virtually nothing and I was just buying for myself then I would definitely be buying gold 😁😁

Buying and selling silver to keep a little bit for myself is to me like a hobby and something I enjoy 😁😁

13 minutes ago, Shinus73 said:

I can think of two potential reasons:

1. Not everybody can afford gold.

2. People may feel silver has significantly more upside than gold.

Yeah I think Silver has a potential in the future to command a lot higher price than it currently does ,, but who knows 🙈🙈 I'm in it for the long haul so hopefully silver will pay off for me further down the line ... meanwhile it's a great hobby that I enjoy 😁😁

33 minutes ago, Johnboysilver said:

For me personally I buy and flip silver and any profit made is deducted off of the cost of the small amount I keep for my self,  so for example if I can get a tube of x20 1 oz rounds and spread the cost of that invoice over 19 I get one for nothing 🤷‍♂️ , or spread the cost of that invoice over 18 and get to keep 2 at a lower price point ..  I also find it easier to buy and flip silver as it's more in people's price range of affordability compared to gold , however if I wasn't buying silver to flip it and keep a small amount for myself at the cost of virtually nothing and I was just buying for myself then I would definitely be buying gold 😁😁

Buying and selling silver to keep a little bit for myself is to me like a hobby and something I enjoy 😁😁

You could have been quoting me there, this is exactly what I do

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

3 minutes ago, Gordy said:

You could have been quoting me there, this is exactly what I do

Yep and no doubt many many others are like us  .. I know keeping 1 or 2 ounces out of every deal isn't that much but it definitely builds up over time,  and again I enjoy it and it's kind of like a hobby 😁😁

Edited by Johnboysilver

3 hours ago, Centauri167 said:

I don't really buy modern silver anymore and I have less than 100 oz which is considerably less than most on the forum. I am much more interested in 19 century 5 Franc/Mark coins now. I never bought silver as an investment but as a bit of fun.

I cant really afford to buy more gold as its so expensive. 

Edited by JackKlugman

4 hours ago, Centauri167 said:

why people  still buy new silver in the UK

As with a low spot it is seriously undervalued even with VAT.
I guess we all hope that Mike Balony and his £200 an ounce theory will come to fruition one day & make us all rich. ;) 
With whats happening now, this is actually looking like it might be a reality at some point this decade!! 

In all seriousness, you can get a lot more for your money, especially if the price slides south of £15. 
Wait for it to go back up to £25 and sell it in exchange for gold or a new car. ;) 

Having said that im buying a kg from Europe after this week's CPI announcement. Goes to a house in Europe. 

I buy silver from the UK, mainly because the quality can be much better than the USA Silver eagles at times (although milk spots and tarnish occurs in some coins) if it’s not a collectible coin like a gothic crown/Una etc then to me the milk spots on Bullion don’t really matter plus it reminds me that at least I bought real silver. However being outside the UK I don’t have to pay VAT and just pay the post, the only thing is the German Zoll might try and slap on a fee for process handling and VAT which I normally stop them mid sentence at the local zoll office, and tell them you can’t have the fee for VAT etc as it’s legal tender and thus exempt from import fees plus vat as I normally import less than £10k per transaction. 

7 hours ago, tpcob303 said:

I buy silver from the UK, mainly because the quality can be much better than the USA Silver eagles at times (although milk spots and tarnish occurs in some coins) if it’s not a collectible coin like a gothic crown/Una etc then to me the milk spots on Bullion don’t really matter plus it reminds me that at least I bought real silver. However being outside the UK I don’t have to pay VAT and just pay the post, the only thing is the German Zoll might try and slap on a fee for process handling and VAT which I normally stop them mid sentence at the local zoll office, and tell them you can’t have the fee for VAT etc as it’s legal tender and thus exempt from import fees plus vat as I normally import less than £10k per transaction. 

Why you don't buy maples or Australian coins, the Australian coins are beautiful, super quality and except of the kangaroo's have no milkspotting problems.

All my Britts of last year have milkspots, never will I buy RM coins again !

3 hours ago, Centauri167 said:

Why you don't buy maples or Australian coins, the Australian coins are beautiful, super quality and except of the kangaroo's have no milkspotting problems.

Agree with you almost completely. I love Australian coins, have visited the Perth mint and buy their coins for date special occasions. However my horses displaying the same tarnish and milking woes as other coins but as @tpcob303 says it’s just a bullion coin, real silver and I still enjoy owning it.

C12EDAFE-B3C3-42BF-B2D1-06B234CBB563.jpeg

3A737BC5-72E0-4CB1-A7CB-578A688929BD.jpeg

i have bought less than a handful of silver coins and paid VAT in the UK. I don't actually know if i ever have bought any but i'll say i have to be on the safe side.
The high premiums and VAT doesn't matter too much if you can resell it with those costs in the price. There seems to be an idea all the premium and VAT costs are lost but we know that isn't true unless perhaps if you are selling to a dealer.

i buy off the forum when i see something i think is value and i have the funds. 
Who is paying full wack prices unless it is something special like the Tudor Beasts from the Mint?

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

1 hour ago, Agaumac said:

Agree with you almost completely. I love Australian coins, have visited the Perth mint and buy their coins for date special occasions. However my horses displaying the same tarnish and milking woes as other coins but as @tpcob303 says it’s just a bullion coin, real silver and I still enjoy owning it.

C12EDAFE-B3C3-42BF-B2D1-06B234CBB563.jpeg

3A737BC5-72E0-4CB1-A7CB-578A688929BD.jpeg

Was it already before you took them out of their capsules that thet had the problems ?

First time I read about problems with Perth Mint coins, except the milkspooting on the Kangaroo's, is there not one mint on this planet that can produce good silver coins ????

6 minutes ago, Centauri167 said:

Was it already before you took them out of their capsules that thet had the problems ?

First time I read about problems with Perth Mint coins, except the milkspooting on the Kangaroo's, is there not one mint on this planet that can produce good silver coins ????

Yeah, when I bought back in 2016 or so, it came in a capsule. For me I don’t consider it to be a problem, it was a vat free lowish premium bullion coin and I only noticed the tarnish when I unearthed my stack to raise some cash recently. I still enjoy having it and am eagerly awaiting my year of the tiger bullion 1oz. If it wasn’t so big it’d be my pocket piece.

4 hours ago, Agaumac said:

Yeah, when I bought back in 2016 or so, it came in a capsule. For me I don’t consider it to be a problem, it was a vat free lowish premium bullion coin and I only noticed the tarnish when I unearthed my stack to raise some cash recently. I still enjoy having it and am eagerly awaiting my year of the tiger bullion 1oz. If it wasn’t so big it’d be my pocket piece.

I don't consider "The year of the ... series " as a low premium coin. Last week I ordered the Year of the tiger and they did cost 8 euro a piece more than the lowest BU coin, so "low" premium ? 

They should be perfect in my view but good for you that you don't see it as a problem.

16 hours ago, Centauri167 said:

I do actually own some Australian silver, 1966 50c coins I have a few in UNC condition, maybe could do with sending for grading with conservation. I also have other Australian silver, I’m not a big fan of the Perth Mint, though I prefer to get from the Royal Australian Mint. 

i graded a couple of Silver 50c pieces, one which got PF70 and I would highly recommend Australian gold or silver for the quality of the metal and finish of the coins, though anything can tarnish or milkspot. 

i also, unless I cashed it in own or did own a Canadian Maple. 

6E23C011-2F8E-421F-928C-1EE950E6F270.jpeg

E715C2B8-78C8-4FB5-BB3B-B207A0349587.jpeg

I try to buy bulk silver lots at spot or lower, pick out what I want and then sell on at slight profit. This keeps my stack price very low and affordable. I am not really bothered about buying a specific coin, just what I think is good value for money and recognisable for potential resale. 

I am now using the profits to grow my gold stack as its less space and not high premiums on the bullion. 

Still buy, go to my local coin place and pay spot plus 10% on pre 1947 silver. Why pre 47, because it's easy to work out have much you're getting! UK silver is good as well as there is no CGT.

Some my think spot plus 10% is too much, however I can push bike to my local place, see what I'm getting and no postage.

That's why I still buy silver.

Everyone who buys metals makes their choice based on their specific needs or circumstances.  Nothing wrong with that.  As for me, I'm stacking gold for SHTF scenario as well as wealth preservation.  It's easier to move and take with you when you have to bug out of your home/city/country to a safer place to live (assuming there is one).

On 08/02/2022 at 10:27, Johnboysilver said:

Pretty much where I am atm