• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2021 Trial of the Pyx - gold and silver 2020 coins releasing Feb 17

3 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Hum no great engravers or sovereigns? 

Over at the “register for interest” page, it did mention the three graces. Maybe not all is listed yet since there are no 2021 coins... 

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/trial-of-the-pyx/

5 hours ago, auleAboutNumismatics said:

Over at the “register for interest” page, it did mention the three graces. Maybe not all is listed yet since there are no 2021 coins... 

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/trial-of-the-pyx/

The 2021 coins have just started undergoing the Trial this week.

It’s highly unlikely they will be sold this month.  From what I understood, there’s several stages they have to go through before they get returned to the Royal Mint.

As for the Three Graces, they may not be sold.  Una and the Lion wasn’t sold either. 

17 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Why do the coins only go into the trial about a year after they were released?

That seems a bit late if the purpose of the trial is to check that the coins are up to standard, as all of the others will have been sold to mugs like us long beforehand!

The procedure is mostly ceremonial now - since it is highly unlikely any of the coins will fall short of specifications given modern production technologies and security around purity etc.

Also, the Trial ceremony seems to have been delayed since 2020 because of Covid, every subsequent year since, and also production of some RM coins have been delayed. For example, the 2020 dated Three Graces coins were all minted in early 2021. 

20 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Why do the coins only go into the trial about a year after they were released?

That seems a bit late if the purpose of the trial is to check that the coins are up to standard, as all of the others will have been sold to mugs like us long beforehand!

I think they actually collect samples of various coins throughout the year and then do it all in a oner. There’s more to it than a handful of expensive gold coins. Also, remember things have changed in the world since this first started but pointless doing more than once a year now.

I thought it would be a similar story with the Gothic Crown because of the spilt release because the Portrait coin will be dated 2021 even though they will all be minted now in 2022.

However I think the RM must’ve struck some Portrait coins last year, because the pictures of last week’s Trial Ceremony show them being tested.

8 minutes ago, Petra said:

I think they actually collect samples of various coins throughout the year and then do it all in a oner. There’s more to it than a handful of expensive gold coins. Also, remember things have changed in the world since this first started but pointless doing more than once a year now.

Yes indeed its original purpose was totally totally different - it was meant to ensure that circulating coinage was meeting purity and other standard specifications. If any of the coins failed the test, the punishment was severe.

The Mint back then wasn’t a business with a packed commemorative coin release schedule like it is today.

It follows that most coins of today will be tested retrospectively after they’ve been released / sold to the general public.

Edited by westminstrel

• 2 weeks later...

Not me. I saw the list or available coins on the website and most were 1 Oz gold and over… so double the price of the proofs… and therefore out of my budget.

None of the “cheaper” silvers interested me either.

I think the usual buyers will get these and you’ll see them on eBay in an hour. It happened a few months back too. 😀