• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2021 Trial of the Pyx - gold and silver 2020 coins releasing Feb 17

Just now, paulmerton said:

I got a phone call on Monday offering it to me and I just got the dispatch email :D 

You were lucky to get the 1/4oz then as I know others had conversations last week with their AMs about what was available. All the 3 Graces sold quite quickly…surprise surprise!!

3 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Aww, I am disappointed about that - I didn't realise there were sovereigns!

Yes, sorry about this! They wanted £600 for the proof half and 450 for the bullion half. The fulls were over £900 and I didn’t ask beyond that. My interest was in the silver. Sad times. 

1 minute ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Yes, sorry about this! They wanted £600 for the proof half and 450 for the bullion half. The fulls were over £900 and I didn’t ask beyond that. My interest was in the silver. Sad times. 

No need to apologise. I managed to get the one I really wanted (which is still in stock as I type, so what does that say about my tastes?), and now my desires are complete this will surely be the last coin I shall ever need to buy(?)

1 minute ago, paulmerton said:

No need to apologise. I managed to get the one I really wanted (which is still in stock as I type, so what does that say about my tastes?), and now my desires are complete this will surely be the last coin I shall ever need to buy(?)

That’s great and the gold standard is a lovely coin. One to hold for a while as it will be a good investment in the years ahead. I went with some silver that is also still available (haha!) the proof 2oz bonds. Got the set of three. Intention is to grade and hold. Not too bad a price and once graded will have that ‘unusual’ aspect.

Morning, 

So this trial of the pyx, is a tradition I believe dating back years from what I read. 

So are we paying more for the privledge that privledged members are sitting in a room one day and looking and feeling over the coins before resale and is that it?

What about the quality? Does it matter what quality the coin are at the end of the day after they looked and feel the coins?

Looking at the pictures it doesn't seem like they care for the quality? 

See attached pics.

Struggling to see why anyone would want to pay for some strangers to fondle with the coins before purchase?

Apoligies in advance if I am missing something like if the queen is touching the coin before selling to public or if I have offended someone sitting on the trial of the pyx table. Just trying to understand why would one purchase at these high prices?

Screenshot 2022-02-17 09.15.17.png

Screenshot 2022-02-17 09.15.30.png

Screenshot 2022-02-17 09.15.36.png

1 minute ago, Slam said:

Morning, 

So this trial of the pyx, is a tradition I believe dating back years from what I read. 

So are we paying more for the privledge that privledged members are sitting in a room one day and looking and feeling over the coins before resale and is that it?

What about the quality? Does it matter what quality the coin are at the end of the day after they looked and feel the coins?

See attached pics.

Struggling to see why anyone would want to pay for some strangers to fondle with the coins before purchase?

Apoligies in advance if I am missing something like if the queen is touching the coin before selling to public or if I have offended someone sitting on the trial of the pyx table. Just trying to understand why would one purchase at these high prices?

It’s just personal taste and preference. Some like the history of the event and having one of the coins that was reviewed before being approved. Like the error coins and overdate collectors etc. the coin collecting and investment groups are pretty diverse. I wouldn’t pay for the price for a James Bond 2oz Proof coin but I would buy (and have done) the Trial coins. Personal taste. For me this is a bit of an experiment. I am sending them to grade and they will have the ‘Trial of the Pyx’ on the label and will be sold on in the years to come hopefully at a profit. 

For me this is an investment opportunity that also brings with it a chance for me to geek out and grade something I would not ordinarily grade…

4 minutes ago, Slam said:

Morning, 

See attached pics.

They really don’t care about people worrying about finger prints etc on a coin, this is something that has gone on for hundreds of years, once done more than once a year, to try to ensure the quality of the coins produced. Therefore they actually have to handle the coins. If you don’t want a coin that’s been handled, then don’t stress, just don’t try to buy one. Looking at one of these, most people probably wouldn’t even realise that it had been handled.