• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Has the bottom fallen out of the ROYAL MINTS beasts already!!!

StackemHigh

I've had a cursory look at ebay UK & a few of the standard 1oz silver proofs have made below issue price they are the usual suspects Bull, Greyhound & white horse & white lion. Rarer 2oz bullion are making strong sales & money ditto 1oz proofs although not at the highs of 3 - 6 months ago where some standard 1oz silver proofs were making triple plus issue price.

Could be a few cheapies because of Christmas but I see no obvious downturn, PF70 s in the 1oz proofs are still making very good to insane money for certain coins. Re 2oz graded & raw all are making good money apart from Greyhound & white Lion, those are my cursory observations

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

I think with many silver proof coins there is always a risk of price collapse once the hype of owning dies down.
It will be interesting to compare prices in a couple of years time for the Una & Lion etc that commanded astronomic prices.
Same applies to the Britannia / Horse Mule which was selling for many hundreds of pounds, even a thousand pounds or more early on, but can be purchased for £40 today.
Sucks since I found I had a full tube in my stack.

Royal mint proof coins always depreciate after the initial hype and flipping fades. Prices then stabilise after a couple of years - and i can see very little logic in where the prices end up. Often beautiful and low mintage coins end up being sold for next to nothing (i.e Britannia 2001/03/05 proof sets), and coins with higher mintages & poorer designs commanding higher prices.

I think all the Queens Beasts coins will show a healthy return at re-sale simply because they are well designed and original - but the reality is that there must be an interest from the general public (non- collectors) for this to happen - there simply aren't enough collectors in the UK to sustain high prices (see Britannia proof set mintage figures as an example of just how few genuine collectors there are). 

The trouble is that sustaining the general public's interest in coins is notoriously difficult to do. The hype train moves quickly...

As for the bullion coins, i believe they will always carry a premium over issue price. Hopefully enough of a premium to offset inflation in the long-term.

These are my Sunday thoughts and are liable to change by Monday 😁