• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Keep or Sell?

KevjustKev

When I was still cutting my teeth on silver stacking I bought quite a lot of beautiful silver proofs just like the one you have.
Sturdy boxes, numbered certificate and often low mintage.
They filled a cupboard and then I decided to sell all of them.
Unfortunately the prices I was obtaining were seriously disappointing despite the beauty and perfection of each coin.
I thought they would be more desirable and considering their condition etc merited a premium bad sadly not.
It is all about the demand at the time and if there are any other newbies drawn into the net - like me when I started.
Best of luck moving it on but just sharing my experience for what it's worth.

I am also not big on proof silver, especially RM proofs.

For one, there are just far too many, whilst being generally nice to look at, most are meaningless. Exceptions happen like the Engravers series, but I think the biggest winners there are the flippers.

Secondly RM proof coins give me the fear. Hanging on to a lovely PF70 Una for the long term almost certainly will end up costing money when it spots and tarnishes. The chances of these remaining pristine for 10+ years is minimal I think. Look at all the issues recently with the latest QB releases - that is what the RM thinks of its customers.

Gold proofs are another issue, but beyond my budget for the most part, so I'll leave that discussion to those who know better.

Nice coin though. One of the better looking ones.

7 hours ago, tallthinkev said:

I don't have much interest in proof coins, many do, but there not for me. 

Type about this for a bit🙂

george iii.jpg

Nice proof! 👌

Jerry

Bleyer Bullion

Sell it... 

I'm not a lover either. I don't know what is is with me, I think I may have particularly greasy hands but every time I decide to take even bog standard bullion out of its cap, it seems to leave some sort of cr*ppy mark. Even just once. I think I need to wear gloves or just carry on collecting the older pieces. If I get gloves, I have crossed that mental threshold of becoming a serious collector (which I'm not) so older bits it is. 

IMG_20210713_171828637_HDR.thumb.jpg.caba6d5a71ff5162b6d51b9932ef5d49.jpg

This is this year's one ounce Brit. Opened once. It arrived with a hair stamped on her chin, makes it look like the queen has a goatee (which I quiet liked) and now a dirty great finger mark on her face. 

So after my mini rant I say sell. 

Everyone keeps telling me if yo can't hold it you don't own it! 

I know I should probably get gloves. 

10 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

Sell it... 

I'm not a lover either. I don't know what is is with me, I think I may have particularly greasy hands but every time I decide to take even bog standard bullion out of its cap, it seems to leave some sort of cr*ppy mark. Even just once. I think I need to wear gloves or just carry on collecting the older pieces. If I get gloves, I have crossed that mental threshold of becoming a serious collector (which I'm not) so older bits it is. 

IMG_20210713_171828637_HDR.thumb.jpg.caba6d5a71ff5162b6d51b9932ef5d49.jpg

This is this year's one ounce Brit. Opened once. It arrived with a hair stamped on her chin, makes it look like the queen has a goatee (which I quiet liked) and now a dirty great finger mark on her face. 

So after my mini rant I say sell. 

Everyone keeps telling me if yo can't hold it you don't own it! 

I know I should probably get gloves. 

i keep telling my mate to get gloves and he's ruined a couple of coins cos he's a greasy handed clot 😂

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

A warning to owners of pristine proofs.
When you inspect your lovely perfect coin on a sunny day you suddenly spot a few tiny dust particles on your coin.
Avoid wiping or brushing to try and remove these small particles as 9 times out of 10 you will leave visible fine lines on smooth shiny surfaces.
These fine lines may not be noticeable at first but at some angles under certain lighting they will be there.
Gold and silver are very soft materials and scratch so readily unlike camera lenses and coated prescription eyewear which you can dust off and wipe.
Not so with pure metals unfortunately.
To remove dust you need to use a blast of clean air which most of us will not have of course.

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

When you inspect your lovely perfect coin on a sunny day you suddenly spot a few tiny dust particles on your coin.
Avoid wiping or brushing to try and remove these small particles as 9 times out of 10 you will leave visible fine lines on smooth shiny surfaces.
These fine lines may not be noticeable at first but at some angles under certain lighting they will be there.
Gold and silver are very soft materials and scratch so readily unlike camera lenses and coated prescription eyewear which you can dust off and wipe.
To remove dust you need to use a blast of clean air which most of us will not have of course.

All good advice.

You can buy a USB powered PC cleaner very cheaply, or alternatively get can of compressed air. 

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

22 hours ago, SilverDrum said:

I had to choose a coin to keep on my desk, just to hold. Now it's committed to being tarnished and enjoyed. Would fully recommend!

Go for a 10 oz coin and if none available try a 5 oz.
Great size to hold and will double up as a paperweight on your desk especially useful if you need to switch on a desk fan once summer returns - starting today I believe !

Whatever happened to keeping bullion in a thick wooden chest and frequently opening it to pick up handfuls and allowing the stuff to run through your fingers? Can't slap a bloody proof coin onto a vomit stained and knife damaged bar top to lure the busty barmaid over can you? 

"Alright love? Send us over a round of dark rum and giveus a kiss eh? 'Ere, got this to pay...OH NO! A HAIRLINE SCRATCH ON THE CAMEO FROSTING! AYEEEEEEEEEEE!".

Aaaaaanyway, if you don't want it @tallthinkev but are not in a rush for payment why don't you stick it up in the trade section for your ballpark asking price and leave the hook dangle. It may take a while but a proof collector who's interested in more than just the usual fare like Queen's Beastly Berks and Britannia's New Pose (has she a shield? A lion? Ooooooo) may well lurk among us and be happy to trade. Crowns are popular, the Royal Munters wouldn't make them otherwise!

*Not to disparage those who collect proofs, they are very pretty and people like what they like. Just 'avin' a larrrf. I have proofs dotted here and there, but I buy them when I spot a bargain...

Edited by Liam84

On 15/07/2021 at 02:37, Pete said:

Go for a 10 oz coin and if none available try a 5 oz.
Great size to hold and will double up as a paperweight on your desk especially useful if you need to switch on a desk fan once summer returns - starting today I believe !

I have done that with an s2 5oz ox.Looks beautiful:)

13 hours ago, Liam84 said:

Whatever happened to keeping bullion in a thick wooden chest and frequently opening it to pick up handfuls and allowing the stuff to run through your fingers? Can't slap a bloody proof coin onto a vomit stained and knife damaged bar top to lure the busty barmaid over can you? 

"Alright love? Send us over a round of dark rum and giveus a kiss eh? 'Ere, got this to pay...OH NO! A HAIRLINE SCRATCH ON THE CAMEO FROSTING! AYEEEEEEEEEEE!".

Aaaaaanyway, if you don't want it @tallthinkev but are not in a rush for payment why don't you stick it up in the trade section for your ballpark asking price and leave the hook dangle. It may take a while but a proof collector who's interested in more than just the usual fare like Queen's Beastly Berks and Britannia's New Pose (has she a shield? A lion? Ooooooo) may well lurk among us and be happy to trade. Crowns are popular, the Royal Munters wouldn't make them otherwise!

*Not to disparage those who collect proofs, they are very pretty and people like what they like. Just 'avin' a larrrf. I have proofs dotted here and there, but I buy them when I spot a bargain...

We’re you a pirate in a past life 😃

Newer silver proofs are a risk, the older silver bullion or proofs will have settled down and you get what you see. Now walk the plank you scurvy nave !

7 minutes ago, Chorlton said:

We’re you a pirate in a past life 😃

Newer silver proofs are a risk, the older silver bullion or proofs will have settled down and you get what you see. Now walk the plank you scurvy nave !

I've been following sixgun for too long...

I have some bits I refuse to even breath on let alone take out of their cases (Perth mint gear coins, 95th sovereign, and the like) and other bits like the Scottsdale tombstone bars I don't give a second thought about holding (just don't drop the thing on your foot) 

On 13/07/2021 at 09:13, tallthinkev said:

I don't have much interest in proof coins, many do, but there not for me. 

Type about this for a bit🙂

george iii.jpg

I once bought a silver proof coin once.  The NHS 50p from 1998 if anyone rembers that.

It looked nice, but started to tarnish and so I eventually sold it at a loss.

I regard all that now as an educational experience and wouldn't buy any more silver, proofs or otherwise, as a result.

So I say sell it before it tarnishes. :)

With all the other talk of paper weights, what I would really like on my desk is a silver coin I could use as a coaster instead.  I currently have an old CD serving that purpose, which is 12 CM in diameter.  How cool would a silver coaster coin be?  🤣

On 13/07/2021 at 19:00, Pete said:

On 13/07/2021 at 19:11, Coverte said:

All good advice.

You can buy a USB powered PC cleaner very cheaply, or alternatively get can of compressed air. 

Just buy an air puffer thingy (the technical name!) from Amazon for a few quid, they work perfectly, never need anything else :)

3 hours ago, HillWalkerDundee said:

I was watching a Youtube video yesterday from Northern Coins ( 

). It is all about what happened when he tried to liquidate some silver in an emergency. A few lessons to be learned in this video.

Possibly the most uninformed, clueless video I've ever seen (sorry!).

Is this a wind-up (serious question - I don't know the channel)?

There's only one lesson to be learned here for me - don't listen to this guy. Trying to sell silver of any kind at pawn shops, let alone valuable proofs (though his 3 Graces is horribly milked)? - dear oh dear oh dear...

<edit> He does sound genuinely panicked though. If anyone is in touch with him send him here

Edited by kimchi