• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Buying 1oz gold - coin or bar?

Ole76

I'm looking to get a bit more into gold and have some Full and half sovereigns already plus a 1oz Queen's Beast Completer coin.

I want to buy another 1oz piece of gold and the Britannia bars are taking my interest.
As a long term hold for the future and not to put on show or collect, is the 1oz gold bar just as good as an investment as a 1oz 2021 Britannia coin as looking at spot prices now for both, both seem to be the same percentage if selling?

Edited by Ole76

Coins are more liquid than bars, some people like to hold the coin too, not quite the same in a blister pack. Britannia gold bars are nice, but if looking at it from an investment side, maybe buy a una and the lion/james bond bar which have the potential to appreciate more. 2021 Brits have the safety feature option over the bar too.

45 minutes ago, watchesandwhisky said:

I would be tempted to go for a CGT exempt coin - 1oz Britannia 

Ahh, so bars are not exempt from CGT?

Edited by Ole76

20 minutes ago, Midasfrog said:

I would go for more sovereigns as its much easier to sell fractional gold coins than full 1oz . A 1oz Britannia will sell for a few % over spot.

Having four sovereigns in the hand gives you the option to sell slowly one at a time or liquidate fast all in one go.

Yeah, I've thought that too but just liked the idea of having an actual (but small) gold bar :)
Shall I just keep buying new 2021 sov's or are older, second hand ones from say Bullion by Post (there 'best value coins') which are only a few Pounds less worth going for instead?

9 minutes ago, Ole76 said:

Yeah, I've thought that too but just liked the idea of having an actual (but small) gold bar :)
Shall I just keep buying new 2021 sov's or are older, second hand ones from say Bullion by Post (there 'best value coins') which are only a few Pounds less worth going for instead?

Yes, I can understand this, as I like my silver in bars and don't really think about resale value as I have no intention of selling them unless something went horribly wrong like all my tenants moving out simultaneously!!

With that said, I bought a 1oz Pamp Rosa bar from a forum member, as he was desperate to get into ctypto and sold about £10 below spot.

From that I can tell you that 1oz of 24ct gold is so tiny and inconsequential looking, I've never had the inclination to give it a second glance since it went into the safe; on the other hand, I love taking my Beasts out of the tube/s and also particularly enjoy taking my gold completer out just to admire them.

My personal suggestion therefore would be a coin, and as someone else has said, it maybe better for yourself or for me my kids/grandkids, to pay a few £ extra and buy a coin  with future potential - you could get a gold bullion completer for about £1390, or if you want a bit cheaper, a 'Minty' CGT exempt coin for about £35 less.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

1 hour ago, Ole76 said:

Ahh, so bars are not exempt from CGT?

CGT doesn't matter for you, if you mostly have Sovereigns anyway and want to stick to them, after his purchase. The threshold where it even kicks in is well above 10K, no clue where exactly, at the moment. (Unless there is a hyper inflation and the rates lack behind the prices which I would expect them to in such a scenario.)

I'd go for the coin because they don't come in blisters that you need to remove in order to test if it's real gold but if you do, it's probably a bit less liquid in private sales because it's perceived as a broken seal for many potential private buyers.

2 hours ago, Ole76 said:

If you’re lookijg for sovereigns I would buy older sovereigns any day over newer sovereigns. There’s nothing wrong with newer sovereigns, there’s much more history with the older ones and they don’t have that ‘copper’ look. Most of the older sovereigns were minted with silver.

The best place to buy them is right here on the forum but you might have to be quick. They don’t last long.

2 hours ago, Ole76 said:

The best price sovereigns are sold on the forum plus there is the bonus of seeing good quality pictures of the actual coin your purchasing.

Best to buy nice looking examples of older sovereigns Victoria through to Elizabeth II this helps keep the interest going with so many varieties some hold an extra premium 👍 

Saw some lovely examples selling on the forum over the last few days for £310 each

Bars are not exempt from CGT, but unless you have a lot of value tied up in bars you are unlikely to need to worry about CGT.  And if you are having to worry about CGT, you will have made a lot of profit from holding your bars!

In answer to the question: the Britannia bar is a lovely thing, and bigger than you might expect because it's thinner than a 1 oz gold coin.  And the blister packaging is actually very well done.  I wasn't expecting to like the bars, but after buying a 1 oz Una gold bar earlier this year, I ordered a 1 oz Britannia bar on the day that the Una bar was delivered.

Having these two bars in amongst a collection of otherwise gold coins is lovely for variety.  I probably won't add many (or any) more, though.

Gratuitous photo:

_20210311_081202.JPG

Coming from a new collector/stacker myself, i would advise sovereigns, older sovereigns like other members have said.

The main reasons for me are

1) they are kind of nice to collect with lots of different monarchs, years, and event various editions, the colour is also nice if you stay away from modern coper ones!

2) the main reason, they are super easy to liquidate, even for someone wanting to hold them for a long time to come, this is still an advantage, e.g. if you see a special coin you like and need cash, if you need cash at all. And when it comes to selling your stack. I have other coins that are much harder to move (even brits), but never have to worry about moving sovereigns.

Hope this helps!

I agree with @Touvex

Also BBP are about the most expensive dealer from my experience so I personally don't use them anymore, although I think they do get most newbies as they do have a good website. But shop around. There is the price comparison tool on the forum for members 👍

1 hour ago, Midasfrog said:

The best price sovereigns are sold on the forum plus there is the bonus of seeing good quality pictures of the actual coin your purchasing.

Best to buy nice looking examples of older sovereigns Victoria through to Elizabeth II this helps keep the interest going with so many varieties some hold an extra premium 👍 

Saw some lovely examples selling on the forum over the last few days for £310 each

What he said. ^ 

I’d recommend the QB’s completer coin but you’ve already got that. Neither do I but I intend to get one.

Sovereigns are my main focus.

21 hours ago, Touvex said:

Coming from a new collector/stacker myself, i would advise sovereigns, older sovereigns like other members have said.

The main reasons for me are

1) they are kind of nice to collect with lots of different monarchs, years, and event various editions, the colour is also nice if you stay away from modern coper ones!

2) the main reason, they are super easy to liquidate, even for someone wanting to hold them for a long time to come, this is still an advantage, e.g. if you see a special coin you like and need cash, if you need cash at all. And when it comes to selling your stack. I have other coins that are much harder to move (even brits), but never have to worry about moving sovereigns.

Hope this helps!

What type of sovereigns coins?

23 hours ago, Foster88 said:

If you’re lookijg for sovereigns I would buy older sovereigns any day over newer sovereigns. There’s nothing wrong with newer sovereigns, there’s much more history with the older ones and they don’t have that ‘copper’ look. Most of the older sovereigns were minted with silver.

The best place to buy them is right here on the forum but you might have to be quick. They don’t last long.

I second the above .

older Sov's are much nicer to look at than the  newer copper coloured ones. If you do decide to go for best value dealers choice sovereigns on the popular websites such as BBP or HGM, which Is how I buy mine, When I am In the UK. 9 times out of ten you will end up with George the 5th or a Victoria not a new one.

Edited by DBCooper

If it's a 1oz gold bar then you can't go wrong with one of these if you can still buy one. Gold coins are easier to sell depending of the size of your investment under 5k then I'd say secondary market "historic bullion" sovereigns.  If you are investing 10k plus then 1oz gold bullion coins are easier to move and sell IMO 

bar1.thumb.jpeg.a0e9b1f51e93f3f26abbce2937d7cafb.jpegbar2.thumb.jpeg.c1e80735e9600d909dbbd4417ac33da6.jpeg

1 hour ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

If it's a 1oz gold bar then you can't go wrong with one of these if you can still buy one. Gold coins are easier to sell depending of the size of your investment under 5k then I'd say secondary market "historic bullion" sovereigns.  If you are investing 10k plus then 1oz gold bullion coins are easier to move and sell IMO 

bar1.thumb.jpeg.a0e9b1f51e93f3f26abbce2937d7cafb.jpegbar2.thumb.jpeg.c1e80735e9600d909dbbd4417ac33da6.jpeg

How much did u get this one for ?

1 hour ago, Coolsmp said:

Don't buy bars if you're an invester for weight and wanting to sell later on. Although there are some nice ones out there i would just stick with UK denominated Sovs or Brits.

I’m looking to make profit or quick flips if possible, any advice ?

On 10/07/2021 at 22:27, muneeb said:

I’m looking to make profit or quick flips if possible, any advice ?

my advice is don't buy for a quick profit until you totally understand what you're buying into . The only place you could possibly make a profit is eBay and there are huge dangers there. The too good to be true , found in an house clearance , bought as seen , will almost certainly be a fake. I have had a few  bargains off eBay but you need to know what to avoid. 

45 minutes ago, pricha said:

my advice is don't buy for a quick profit until you totally understand what you're buying into . The only place you could possibly make a profit is eBay and there are huge dangers there. The too good to be true , found in an house clearance , bought as seen , will almost certainly be a fake. I have had a few  bargains off eBay but you need to know what to avoid. 

Thank you, appreciate the advice!