• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I bought.....

Ugh, had to bite the bullet and buy the Vader gold 1/4 oz coin as want to try to do the series of this. The Yoda is a fantastic coin for anybody who hasn't seen it. The Vader was the first in the 'classic' series, and like any first coins, it's becoming very difficult to get and seems to be only heading one way now. Certainly if they release a few more classic coins, which is just about inevitable, this first coin will be the key.

Released so far in the classic series; 

Darth Vader, Han Solo, Yoda

Highly likely releases to follow:

R2-D2, C-3PO, Leia, Luke, Chewbacca

Possible releases;

Ben Kenobi, Boba Fett, Lando Calrissian, The Emperor

image.jpeg

3 hours ago, richo said:

Released so far in the classic series; 

Darth Vader, Han Solo, Yoda

Highly likely releases to follow:

R2-D2, C-3PO, Leia, Luke, Chewbacca

Possible releases;

Ben Kenobi, Boba Fett, Lando Calrissian, The Emperor

Looks like it's R2-D2 next and should be shipping from the Mint this coming week. Good job I didn't buy the Star Trek Delta Coin as I'm going to need every penny for this release.  Brexit has made this rather expensive. Last issue was around £400 but this will be around £450.

1 minute ago, morezone said:

Looks like it's R2-D2 next and should be shipping from the Mint this coming week. Good job I didn't buy the Star Trek Delta Coin as I'm going to need every penny for this release.  Brexit has made this rather expensive. Last issue was around £400 but this will be around £450.

Yep, currency change means £450. So, even at nearly double spot, Darth Vader at £500 from Apmex was decent for me as I am a huge Star Wars fan and really want to do this set. Did you get Vader?

4 minutes ago, richo said:

Yep, currency change means £450. So, even at nearly double spot, Darth Vader at £500 from Apmex was decent for me as I am a huge Star Wars fan and really want to do this set. Did you get Vader?

Yep.  I have all the releases so far in both 1/4 gold and 1oz silver.

2 minutes ago, morezone said:

Cool. I was very tempted with Yoda 1oz gold, but can't justify the premium. That one in particular is the best 1oz so far as you get a tonne more image. I wonder if R2 will be the same....

Happy to say - bought an elusive 1916 raw Indian Head $5 gold half eagle, SanFrancisco mint - and that pretty much wraps up my Indian Head set ( well - for now at least, as I have 1908-1916 run)! By far the most expensive of the date run, but with many of the 1916s already slabbed and over $800 for MS60+, I am just hoping my "investment" at over 2x melt price is worth it! Was a US eBay so will be a few weeks before I get it, and will post up  the entire set with pics. Looked in good shape - and better than some slabbed AU55/58s that are around. I don't slab - but must admit it's very tempting to do so to "validate" the crazy prices of some of these beautiful old coins. The seller claims it was from an old estate - but who knows; just hoping it's not been scrubbed clean...??

Happy to say - bought an elusive 1916 raw Indian Head $5 gold half eagle, SanFrancisco mint - and that pretty much wraps up my Indian Head set ( well - for now at least, as I have 1908-1916 run)! By far the most expensive of the date run, but with many of the 1916s already slabbed and over $800 for MS60+, I am just hoping my "investment" at over 2x melt price is worth it! Was a US eBay so will be a few weeks before I get it, and will post up  the entire set with pics. Looked in good shape - and better than some slabbed AU55/58s that are around. I don't slab - but must admit it's very tempting to do so to "validate" the crazy prices of some of these beautiful old coins. The seller claims it was from an old estate - but who knows; just hoping it's not been scrubbed clean...[emoji4][emoji4]

Fingers crossed for you. Us eBay is worst place in the world for raw coins. Was it a dealer or private seller?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to say @Numistacker- seller is Katzienkath with great feedback, but only on eBay 1 year. Maybe that's a good sign. Selling a variety of worldwide coins, from your US " second home" state of FL.  

Here are some screenshots - I see the nick on the Indian's face - but the fields look OK. The Eagle side is what worries me - maybe signs of cleaning. But no obvious rim marks that may have suggested being in jewellery. Fingers crossed indeed. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hard to say @Numistacker- seller is Katzienkath with great feedback, but only on eBay 1 year. Maybe that's a good sign. Selling a variety of worldwide coins, from your US " second home" state of FL.  

Here are some screenshots - I see the nick on the Indian's face - but the fields look OK. The Eagle side is what worries me - maybe signs of cleaning. But no obvious rim marks that may have suggested being in jewellery. Fingers crossed indeed. 

image.thumb.jpg.3e7e8a7173be0b9a1375998e64790cc6.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.3b6168970b68822bca8e7ea5f9fda3ae.jpg

Lots of absent detail in lower feathers and some slightly parallel marks at 2pm on eagle side. Maybe indicative of cleaning but it's not immediately obvious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45 minutes ago, MickB said:

Cheers Kman. Feel better now that I know it didn't turn out to be one of those; "Oh no, what have I just bought?" moments.

I've had a few of those :unsure:

any time you wanted to put it on Ebay at a BIN you would get your money back so it's pretty safe

I think Atkinsons actually price a lot of their coins off of average ebay prices

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

41 minutes ago, Kman said:

any time you wanted to put it on Ebay at a BIN you would get your money back so it's pretty safe

I think Atkinsons actually price a lot of their coins off of average ebay prices

Can't really go wrong with sovereigns then. I can see why you prefer them.

On 06/08/2016 at 18:09, morezone said:

I'm a huge Star Wars/Trek fan too but I'm wondering: are you guys buying as collectors or is it an investment play? Bit of both? I'm trying to play safe with very conservative choices on the gold side so there's things I personally like but am wary of getting stuck with longer term, or not being able to add value beyond spot price moves. But I could be persuaded if veterans like yourselves have an investment case as well as a collector one.

Any advice welcome. Thanks.

59 minutes ago, NumisNewbie said:

I'm a huge Star Wars/Trek fan too but I'm wondering: are you guys buying as collectors or is it an investment play? Bit of both? I'm trying to play safe with very conservative choices on the gold side so there's things I personally like but am wary of getting stuck with longer term, or not being able to add value beyond spot price moves. But I could be persuaded if veterans like yourselves have an investment case as well as a collector one.

Any advice welcome. Thanks.

My advice would be mix safe bullion with a few collectible coins that you enjoy. I go about 50/50, but maybe that's a bit risky, but let's face it, it's a better way to spend your money than smoking or gambling on the horses. 

I get infinitely more enjoyment out of choosing coins that appeal over bullion. Personally, I think the Star Trek gold delta coin will be a huge winner, but it's a bit late in the game for that one. I also think the Star Wars 1/4 gold will do well in the end, but if they don't, I love the material so am not worried. I plan to give most coins to my daughter anyway unless something crazy happens with prices. 

If you are a big Star Wars fan, see if you can push to the 1/4 gold coin set. We are at no 4, so not too far in, and you should be able to get the first ones. I did have to import the Vader coin though. 

Edited by richo

Thanks for the reply. I really liked the Delta too although I'd have preferred Kirk (Shatner) on the obverse rather than Her Maj... I baulked at the premium though. Not much chance I would have got one anyway seeing as they sold out in seconds but my mindset was "how many sovs could I get for the same price?" With prices out of control on the secondary market I shouldn't have worried but it's that initial hesitation I'll have to get over if I'm going to go down the collector route. Maybe I'll just buy silver Trek/Wars memorabilia instead... less upside but less downside too.

1 hour ago, NumisNewbie said:

I'm a huge Star Wars/Trek fan too but I'm wondering: are you guys buying as collectors or is it an investment play? 

I'm buying these soley as a collector.  I'm not fussed if they gain any premium in the future but as long as they're not crazy money, I will continue to buy.  

1 hour ago, richo said:

Remember the premium on silver is hugely more than gold...

Of course.  But one also needs to consider the possible loses when selling later on.  Selling a silver coin at £60 issue and gold at £450 issue on eBay would net losses of £9 and £67.50 based on 15% fees.  Selling a silver coin at £30 (50%) discount is easier than selling a gold coin at £420 (7%) discount.  This is of course based on equal % gains and losses on a per coin basis.