• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver Monitoring Thread £ (GBP) only.

Message added by ChrisSilver

To discuss price action in USD instead, please see here: https://thesilverforum.com/topic/19861-silver-monitoring-thread-usd-only/

if silver shadows gold why isn't silver dropping as quick as gold

I think you're trying to be too micro-analytical. The ratio does wander about a bit but it's 74 at the moment, exactly where it has been (bar a couple of forays up to 76) since the beginning of June.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Talking of ratios : it would be nice to have a single webpage displaying silver price. gold price and ratio together.

Anyone got a link if such a page exists?

I haven't been able to find one on the commoner "thingy price trend" type pages...

Talking of ratios : it would be nice to have a single webpage displaying silver price. gold price and ratio together.

I haven't been able to find one on the commoner "thingy price trend" type pages...

http://www.macrotrends.net/1441/gold-to-silver-ratio-historical-chart

Gold is quite expensive against silver right now.

But really who knows.

For everyone who cites the past as a reference for the future, you can also reference what is different these days too.

It's all still very much a gamble, so hedge accordingly.

It may very well be that silver drops hard due to global deflation and lowered demand, but gold could drop harder still and give a 'great' looking ratio. Ie, £5/ounce silver, £150/ounce gold. Either scenario wouldn't be great news for some people!

Edited by AuFinger

the main silverforum page has these 3 charts.

HH

The ratio is clearly all over the place and doesn't seem to have any predictive value. The most striking feature of the charts is how well the prices of gold and silver are correlated. This tends to support the idea that silver is 'poor man's gold' and that it enjoys a monetary premium.

It doesn't seem to have any predictive value, but you can bet that it's value is predictable in hindsight.

In any case though, it's well worth noting that the pairs value generally fluctuates through a fairly consistent range so it makes sense to balance buying according to this trend too probably. Ie, buy mostly silver when silver is relatively cheap, and vice versa with gold.

And when selling, clear the one that is relatively expensive at the time, rather than the one that is relatively cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

Silver did spike down briefly to just below £9.22 on 30th November - can't work out how to set up a link but if you go to the sharelynx site in Bumbles post and set the chart to "silver" and "day" it shows on the candle. 

For the same day, the BV chart shows a low of £9.27 and a high of £10.64 

Edited by redrug

• 2 weeks later...

Tell me about it, I tried to put in an order with STG and my credit card company blocked it because they thought it was suspicious activity, they phoned me to check it was legit and when they OK'd everything spot was up 40p so I grudged buying it at this now so never bothered.

I'm watching with interest.

I have made myself a promise, when I can buy a monster box (500oz) for £5k plus delivery, I'm going to push the button.

May never happen, but getting closer - currently best price is £5835 for Noah's (£9.35 spot recorded for posterity).

I'm guesstimating that spot would need to be about £8.00 dead to hit the £5k target price.

So, let's wait & see what happens!!!

Stacker since 2013

Silver appears to be falling in sympathy with the other industrial commodities so far. My strategy of buying into the stock market two weeks ago to cause a crash has worked so far. Perhaps if I buy into silver you will get your monster box? 

I will make a purchase tomorrow :P

I'm watching with interest.

I have made myself a promise, when I can buy a monster box (500oz) for £5k plus delivery, I'm going to push the button.

May never happen, but getting closer - currently best price is £5835 for Noah's (£9.35 spot recorded for posterity).

I'm guesstimating that spot would need to be about £8.00 dead to hit the £5k target price.

So, let's wait & see what happens!!!

Like it Danny Boy. Although if it was me a would pay the extra few pence for the Brits. Never know where it will go and an outside chance of capital gains coming in to play.

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

I agree, on a 5K purchase if and I know it's a big IF silver ever goes to the moon you will be over the capital gains tax threshold instantly if you decide to offload the lot so a few pence extra for Brits makes sense.