• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver Monitoring Thread £ (GBP) only.

Message added by ChrisSilver

To discuss price action in USD instead, please see here: https://thesilverforum.com/topic/19861-silver-monitoring-thread-usd-only/

I ordered 2x tubes of Britannias this morning since spot went down again when the markets opened,  £9.32 spot making the coins £12.24 each inc. the £9.99 postage and a £6 credit card surcharge.  I swore I was done with silver for now and my next purchase would be fractional gold, was thinking of getting 10x 1/10 gold Britannias with the order split into 3 lots to make the payments easier 3,3 and 4 but they will have to wait until next time as I just thought silver was the right price to be buying and gold might drop a bit yet.

The lower the spot price goes, the higher seem the premiums  :unsure: maybe they are based on +% +£, not just +%

Think of the premium as a flat cost per coin in terms of designing, minting, shipping costs etc plus a profit for the mint, wholesaler and retailer.

So the cheaper spot goes, the higher the premium will seem.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

The lower the spot price goes, the higher seem the premiums  :unsure: maybe they are based on +% +£, not just +%

Think of the premium as a flat cost per coin in terms of designing, minting, shipping costs etc plus a profit for the mint, wholesaler and retailer.

So the cheaper spot goes, the higher the premium will seem.

It's posts like these that reinforces my opinions that I'm doing the right thing by buying allocated silver (premium free, VAT free, tax free, no delivery charges etc,) and not physical silver.

The only "premium" I pay is storage costs, which unlike costs associated with physical metals, my storage costs as a percentage actually goes down the more I buy.

On the flip side though, you don't hold it and you only get spot profit, and forfeit any "numismatic" potential.

If I had bought allocated, I would have been in a massive hole right now. I started buying just after the peak at around £25/oz spot.

As it stands, I have liquidated around 75% of my silver coins and walked away, after fees and shipping, with just over a 10% profit.

All I'm saying is, even with the premiums and charges, it's still possible to turn upside with physical notwithstanding a huge drop in spot.

Buy smart, but the right items at the best price you can and you may be in a better position if you bought physical over allocated.

Just giving an alternative view.

Stacker since 2013

I've come to the conclusion that there is only 'so low' a dealer can sell a coin for, I watched coin prices drop along with spot but there does appear to be a lower limit that they have to stop at.

Edit -  Theory reinforced, I ordered from STG a couple of days ago and today with spot over 30p lower the same order is not 30p a coin cheaper the entire order is £1 cheaper in total.

Edited by Scuzzle

I've come to the conclusion that there is only 'so low' a dealer can sell a coin for, I watched coin prices drop along with spot but there does appear to be a lower limit that they have to stop at.

Get your guess in. No prizes just bragging rights.

https://thesilverforum.com/topic/1960-guess-the-physical-floor/?hl=%2Bguess+%2Bthe+%2Bphysical+%2Bfloor