• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

£3000 in stock market?

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, KDave said:

I have taken profit on the gold mining fund I hold in my SIPP and moved it into global energy, hopefully they will both do well over the coming years. Gold had grown to 54% of the total and now seemed like a good time to diversify but we will see.

Any energy tips?

2 hours ago, Kman said:

What happened about 4pm? everything seemed to get sucked down 

I dont know but Greatland is not doing an awful lot like other metal stocks.

1 hour ago, TheApe said:

Any energy tips?

The majors for now, and I like Repsol, but that is as adventurous as I have been, it is still early. Chesapeake Energy has gone bankrupt, there will likely be further mid and small tier failures. The fund I bought today was TB Guinness Global Energy, 90% invested in the majors (companies over 1bn mkt cap), not very exciting but should provide the exposure I want. 

On 03/07/2020 at 23:53, HerefordBullyun said:

Look at yahoo finance also they give advice on what shares to buy and you can sign up to simplywallst also it gives you insights in the company  you are buying as tells you wether the company  is over or under valued and if it holds debt.

Or just month pound-cost-average into a low cost index fund :)

3 minutes ago, vand said:

Or just month pound-cost-average into a low cost index fund :)

Any suggestions?

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

3 hours ago, KDave said:

I agree over the years they will, I am 25% gold, 25% oil, I think both will be multiples higher in the coming years. Now if there is consolidation in gold in mean time, I have put the profits made over a number of years so far into a bombed out sector with limited downside. Hopefully that will lock it in. Who knows. 

Do we think gold will break through the previous all time high on the first attempt? 

Probably not, but that is not the question here.

Ask yourself the risk/reward of what you are doing - even if you have perfect foresight and were able to time the market so that you got in at the bottom every time, how much benefit would that bring you?

You might be surprised that it's not all that great: https://ofdollarsanddata.com/why-market-timing-can-be-so-appealing/

And the risk? The risk is that don't buy back in and miss out on all the upside.

That doesn't seem a very attractive risk/reward proposition to me.

If safety and ease are the name of the game I think just a silver ETF is the way to go for the next two years

I would be shocked if it doesn't easily out perform any index fund

@vand your thoughts seem in line with this guy

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

6 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

Any suggestions?

There's literally more funds in existence than they are individual securities. The Vanguard Lifestrategy funds are considered good products - a range of fixed global equity/bond funds that are automatically rebalanced daily.

3 minutes ago, Kman said:

Is that for all the bankruptcies ahead 😛

I am so clueless with investing, i tried picking stocks once and that went bad, in fact i always seem to get it wrong😂

The only things that have done well is those two funds, put a small lump sum in each a couple of years back and they appreciated very well..

For someone like me who does not have the knowledge or the inclination to learn I think low cost funds/trackers with a pound cost averaging is the only sensible way. 

2 minutes ago, Madstacks said:

I am so clueless with investing, i tried picking stocks once and that went bad, in fact i always seem to get it wrong😂

The only things that have done well is those two funds, put a small lump sum in each a couple of years back and they appreciated very well..

For someone like me who does not have the knowledge or the inclination to learn I think low cost funds/trackers with a pound cost averaging is the only sensible way. 

Yep that sounds perfect

If I were going pure long term hands off I'd probably split my money between silver etf for the next two years, a US tech sector focused one for the next decade and 10-20% in bitcoin

But I like to be too involved is my problem 

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

1 hour ago, vand said:

Probably not, but that is not the question here.

Ask yourself the risk/reward of what you are doing - even if you have perfect foresight and were able to time the market so that you got in at the bottom every time, how much benefit would that bring you?

You might be surprised that it's not all that great: https://ofdollarsanddata.com/why-market-timing-can-be-so-appealing/

And the risk? The risk is that don't buy back in and miss out on all the upside.

That doesn't seem a very attractive risk/reward proposition to me.

Cheers Vand great points but I don't think you understand what I have done. 

I started buying the gold mining fund in 2017, I took an initial position then bought monthly, cost averaging, auto-pilot all the way up. Due to the gains it had grown to over half of the value of the SIPP. We are approaching all time highs in the gold price and I have over half of the SIPP in gold mining stocks. I felt this was too much and sold half of it, I now have 25% in the gold fund = I still have exposure. I am not going to miss out on all of the upside. I have captured years of upside and moved it into another sector that is bombed out with company prices near levels last seen 20 years ago. I think both sectors will do very well over the decade. You might say I have rebalanced the portfolio to include oil and I have set up monthly purchases basically doing what I started doing with gold back in 2017, at the same time I am still monthly buying UK, US and the gold fund I sold today. If the gold price drops over the coming months I will benefit a little bit and if it keeps going I will benefit too. This is not considering the arguably limited downside in oil vs the potential upside. Does the risk/reward of this action combination not look attractive? 

2 hours ago, Madstacks said:

LEGAL & GENERAL US INDEX CLASS C - ACCUMULATION

This is the one I am buying, I am less keen on the S&P than I am on the FTSE 100 given the commodity exposure and the relative pricing, though cost averaging into the S&P has worked much better over the past 4 years than cost averaging into the FTSE 100 go figure. 

1 hour ago, Kman said:

Yep that sounds perfect

If I were going pure long term hands off I'd probably split my money between silver etf for the next two years, a US tech sector focused one for the next decade and 10-20% in bitcoin

But I like to be too involved is my problem 

Cloudflare look a promising buy.

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

21 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

Cloudflare look a promising buy.

I  actually used their services just yesterday for the first time, needed to redirect a domain but it needed to have https otherwise google was telling people it was unsafe

Probably not a bad shout 

5 minutes ago, Kman said:

I  actually used their services just yesterday for the first time, needed to redirect a domain but it needed to have https otherwise google was telling people it was unsafe

Probably not a bad shout 

They are pretty niche and I work  in the IT sector. I think they have a good businees model. Qualys are another one.

9 hours ago, KDave said:

Cheers Vand great points but I don't think you understand what I have done. 

I started buying the gold mining fund in 2017, I took an initial position then bought monthly, cost averaging, auto-pilot all the way up. Due to the gains it had grown to over half of the value of the SIPP. We are approaching all time highs in the gold price and I have over half of the SIPP in gold mining stocks. I felt this was too much and sold half of it, I now have 25% in the gold fund = I still have exposure. I am not going to miss out on all of the upside. I have captured years of upside and moved it into another sector that is bombed out with company prices near levels last seen 20 years ago. I think both sectors will do very well over the decade. You might say I have rebalanced the portfolio to include oil and I have set up monthly purchases basically doing what I started doing with gold back in 2017, at the same time I am still monthly buying UK, US and the gold fund I sold today. If the gold price drops over the coming months I will benefit a little bit and if it keeps going I will benefit too. This is not considering the arguably limited downside in oil vs the potential upside. Does the risk/reward of this action combination not look attractive? 

OK, yes you do need to consider rebalance according to your asset allocation boundaries. The way I and many other do this is most of the time is simply change what we are buying with new inflows every month, rather than reallocation from the existing portfolio.

10 hours ago, vand said:

OK, yes you do need to consider rebalance according to your asset allocation boundaries. The way I and many other do this is most of the time is simply change what we are buying with new inflows every month, rather than reallocation from the existing portfolio.

Yes that would have been a better idea.

I've been avoiding stocks all together for a while because I'm not confident in what's going to happen in the next couple years

But I was thinking this morning I've been looking a it all wrong

What can I be confident in? high street retailers going bankrupt 

I should be looking into the balance sheets of high street retailers and finding who is going to be able to weather the next couple years and who wont be 

One that strongly comes to mind that I will need to look into is Marks n Spencers, there's a large one near me that's opened again that's a ghost town

They're expensive and they have an older clientele that are less likely to want go shopping 

If their balance sheet isn't extremely robust then I don't see how they aren't going bankrupt

But I'm speaking out of my **** atm I need to actually look into things, maybe they have big assets they can sell

On 15/05/2020 at 13:12, ZigZag said:

Guess I was right Orph’s Cathal Friel gave a very incisive Proactive presentation on how they are playing the Covid trials ramp up and I can see a takeout before long.

EVG stock has been ridiculously tight last few days and now they’ve had to let the cat out the bag, they too are looking for support funding to begin a Covid trial; both had nice spikes today.

For disclosure, I still hold for the time being, though traded in half of both, having nearly doubled in each.

Back adding to EVG, there have been been some big holdings notices going through and a game is afoot with no CEO announcement (well overdue)). Strong move today possibly in sympathy with SYN Covid news, probably recognition at around £12m m/cap it’s looking sector cheap with pipeline. Good thread for research over on ADVFN, if you ignore some of the ramping.

As an aside, why oh why didn’t I pick SNG, gone orbital today!! Too many to choose from.

Archived