• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Leaving the EU - SOTD Sovereign

creative

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Oldun said:

Profit is profit. But only once actually realised. Until then, it is paper profit. The main point is that have the flip prices stalled already ?

And it’s only a loss if you sell 😉 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

22 minutes ago, Sovereign said:

someone already bought mine for £1650 crazy!

It is crazy given that none of these coins will be in the hands of the initial purchasers yet. 

My recent experience of the Royal Mint Quality Control:

Received two, Returned two!

26 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

It is crazy given that none of these coins will be in the hands of the initial purchasers yet. 

My recent experience of the Royal Mint Quality Control:

Received two, Returned two!

True mate 

Was private sale not ebay though

16 hours ago, MancunianStacker said:

And it’s only a loss if you sell 😉 

You are only fooling yourself if you believe it's only a loss if you sell. 

Same could be said it's only a win if you sell!  

Mulling things over a bit I do wonder if the rush on all these SotDs isn't in some great part due to the inevitable new monarch coming in (sooner or later). I'd already decided my modern Sov run would end with Liz, I certainly wouldn't buy a 'regular' Proof with Charles on it (had the series remained 'as is' the plan was to go for his first year only). Intentions changed when last year's 'Matt' and then the Vicci came out - I quit my series early.

But is this part of the reason the Mint have so strongly gone hard at these after the success of 2017?

I think the looming probability of Charles coming in and what it means for coins/collectors might be worthy of a thread in itself, perhaps?

15 minutes ago, Oldun said:

This one is comical. The seller cannot even be bothered to copy paste the right picture or get the spelling right...strike on day....lol.

I can never remember if it's struck on the day, strike of the day, strike on the day,  I seem to have some weird kind of dyslexia for it 

matt, matte, plane, plain, privy, cypher, the words and spellings just get jumbled up somehow 

That's why more often than not I just put SOTD because I can't be bothered to double check 😛 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

The flippers will be going wild, £1 selling fees on eBay till Tuesday.

Nothing wrong with buying and selling to make a profit, although it’s easy to see why collectors are getting pretty hacked off with these rinse and repeat sell out SOTD Sovs.

I’m interested to hear the general consensus - was the better buy for long term collectability the SOTD Sov or the gold proof 50p?

If i was so inclined (and im not) I could buy a SOTD sovereign on ebay, the seller could send it special delivery and film packing - all i have to do is claim the box was empty or had a different item in it and ebay would refund me no questions asked. 

Is it worth the risk??

31 minutes ago, Madstacks said:

If i was so inclined (and im not) I could buy a SOTD sovereign on ebay, the seller could send it special delivery and film packing - all i have to do is claim the box was empty or had a different item in it and ebay would refund me no questions asked. 

Is it worth the risk??

If you don’t mind potentially being arrested, spending time in Police Custody getting charged with fraud and subsequently being convicted and going forward potentially losing your livelihood, integrity and respect of those around you, and potentially not being able to get another job not to mention insurance as well as other consequences that don’t come to mind right now for the sake of a few lousy quid...

then it’s worth the risk I guess...

What a strange question on a Sunday morning. 

27 minutes ago, Shep said:

I’m interested to hear the general consensus - was the better buy for long term collectability the SOTD Sov or the gold proof 50p?

I think its impossible to say given the hype of the release. The true values of these coins won't be known until the hype dies down and these start trading hands amongst collectors. I am in to coins and I am in to other collectables and have seen this same cycle happen over and over again amongst any collectable item. Something is being released that is very popular and in demand. It gets released, sell out happens and for a while flippers and others are able to sell at a profit because everyone is caught up in the hype and has to have the new thing. The new thing is only new for so long though and soon another new thing comes up...  who wants the old thing at this point?

This release feels no different to me than that cycle that I've seen repeat many, many times across multiple collectable markets.

4 minutes ago, Madstacks said:

Whilst all those things are true, it does not stop the countless times this happens daily on ebay (mainly with smartphones and tech but gold is still very susceptible) 

Generally these people dont care about any of those things..

Unfortunately it doesn’t- and this type of crime isn’t unique to eBay. 

38 minutes ago, Madstacks said:

Is it worth the risk??

And don't forget the seller then knows your address, there are some real nutters out there!

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Here is an interesting one, I did actually sell coin on ebay and have now received the £1 offer.  Now I never really intended to flip it but considering what I could get and the fact I would prefer the 2020 double bu sovereign I figured it was better for me to sell it and get another coin I prefer at a better price with a nice discount.

So I am happy with the sale, the buyer has paid and we have spoke.  Seems a nice gentleman.  I am considering contacting the buyer, because.  I would be happy to cancel the order at his request.  Relist with the £1 offer and let him have the £100's of pounds saving.  I am happy with what I got to I dont mind him getting the saving.

Will this be a hastle from ebay's point of view who I suspect I may have problems getting the sold fees back from.

18 minutes ago, Guybrush said:

Here is an interesting one, I did actually sell coin on ebay and have now received the £1 offer.  Now I never really intended to flip it but considering what I could get and the fact I would prefer the 2020 double bu sovereign I figured it was better for me to sell it and get another coin I prefer at a better price with a nice discount.

So I am happy with the sale, the buyer has paid and we have spoke.  Seems a nice gentleman.  I am considering contacting the buyer, because.  I would be happy to cancel the order at his request.  Relist with the £1 offer and let him have the £100's of pounds saving.  I am happy with what I got to I dont mind him getting the saving.

Will this be a hastle from ebay's point of view who I suspect I may have problems getting the sold fees back from.

The £1 to sell offer was always going to come your way.  The offer comes around like clockwork at the beginning of a new month and somewhere near the end of the month and occasionally in between.

Now it’s here- there should be a downwards re-rate in price as new sellers list their coins with the offer and those who have them listed close their auction and reopen with the £1 to sell.  Between them they will jostle for sales- the buyers will get a ‘bargain’. 

Now you could do what you suggest above- but who’s to say he will buy it again from you?  what if he buys it from someone else? Or exhales and thinks phew- that was close as the prices will be lower or gambles and buys cheaper down the line...

If you have spoken off eBay by phone/email- cancel the order and do the deal off eBay. 

I would say don’t complicate things, a bird in the hand and all that. 

Note: if he requests a cancellation, you’ll get all your fees back. 

Yeah I was wondering if its best to just leave it, hence the post.  I personally dont think the price will come down though.  In general sellers will want the extra for them selves.

Still I will leave everything and once he has it buy myself the double sovereign :D

29 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

And don't forget the seller then knows your address, there are some real nutters out there!

very easy to use a "throw away" address, be constantly on the move ect. The thing with ebay is if someone wants to scam you they can, and there is nothing you can do about it. Its true though its not ebay only, amazon is just as bad i believe. 

Thats why I sell here.  

What i find even more crazy is ebay coin and antique dealers registered as businesses selling on ebay with their home address in the details. Madness!

2 minutes ago, Guybrush said:

Yeah I was wondering if its best to just leave it, hence the post.  I personally dont think the price will come down though.  In general sellers will want the extra for them selves.

Still I will leave everything and once he has it buy myself the double sovereign :D

Or two? 😉

Archived