• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

New Series - Giants of the Ice Age

3 hours ago, daca said:

New release in series is out - Giants of the Ice Age - Saber-Toothed Cat

Machairodontinae is an extinct subfamily of carnivoran mammals of the family Felidae (true cats). They were found in Asia, Africa, North America, South America, and Europe from the Miocene to Pleistocene living from about 16 million until about 11,000 years ago.
The Machairodontinae contain many of the extinct predators commonly known as "saber-toothed cats", including the famed genus Smilodon, as well as other cats with only minor increases in the size and length of their maxillary canines. The name means "dagger-tooth", dagger. Sometimes, other carnivorous mammals with elongated teeth are also called saber-toothed cats, although they do not belong to the felids. Besides the machairodonts, saber-toothed predators also arose in nimravids, barbourofelids, Machaeroidinae, Hyaenodonta and even in two groups of metatherians (thylacosmilids, sparassodonts and deltatheroideans).

ghana-1-oz-silver-giants-of-the-ice-age-

ghana-1-oz-gold-giants-of-the-ice-age-20

https://goldsilver.be/en/miscellaneous/3284-ghana-1-oz-silver-giants-of-the-ice-age-2020-saber-tooth-cat-5-cedis.html

There is no Carcharocles Megalodon, that was bigger than all of these  around this time.

• Founder & Administrator

Topics merged :) 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

• 2 months later...
On 02/08/2020 at 16:59, jacksj1 said:

Loved the first two. Third (tiger) I disliked so much I didn't bother getting it.

It’s an interesting quandary isn’t it- having bought the first coin in a series I always feel that I’m investing in that series- I’m almost bound to buy the rest, no matter how disappointing they might be. 

I suppose the great thing about silver is its intrinsic value, ie, no matter how crummy a series turns out, it’s still worth something.

As an example, earlier this year I bought a set of four Landmarks of Britain- a monumentally (sorry) awful mini-series from the Royal Mint but they only cost me £80.

16 hours ago, JonCL said:

It’s an interesting quandary isn’t it- having bought the first coin in a series I always feel that I’m investing in that series- I’m almost bound to buy the rest, no matter how disappointing they might be. 

I suppose the great thing about silver is its intrinsic value, ie, no matter how crummy a series turns out, it’s still worth something.

As an example, earlier this year I bought a set of four Landmarks of Britain- a monumentally (sorry) awful mini-series from the Royal Mint but they only cost me £80.

Well, that must be cause y'all don't have any good landmarks...  😉

10 hours ago, RedDragon77 said:

Well, that must be cause y'all don't have any good landmarks...  😉

If all you had to go on was the coins put out by the Royal Mint you might easily come to that conclusion. It quite annoys me how poor their effort was - four landmarks- all in London, all within the same three or four square miles. They don’t even represent bloody London particularly well. However, if they had been the opening foursome of a countrywide set- maybe four designs per county and four per city- each four by a different artist- you’d think it was a shaky start with far better things yet to come; Stonehenge; the Seven Sisters cliffs; Blackpool Tower; the Angel of the North; the Clifton Suspension Bridge; etc, etc. You could even think laterally and have things like the Grand National it’s such a huge and open brief I’m sure artists would have been tripping over each other to land such a dream job.

Maybe the Perth Mint would like to do it- it could go on for years, decades even.

Edited by JonCL

9 hours ago, JonCL said:

If all you had to go on was the coins put out by the Royal Mint you might easily come to that conclusion. It quite annoys me how poor their effort was - four landmarks- all in London, all within the same three or four square miles. They don’t even represent bloody London particularly well. However, if they had been the opening foursome of a countrywide set- maybe four designs per county and four per city- each four by a different artist- you’d think it was a shaky start with far better things yet to come; Stonehenge; the Seven Sisters cliffs; Blackpool Tower; the Angel of the North; the Clifton Suspension Bridge; etc, etc. You could even think laterally and have things like the Grand National it’s such a huge and open brief I’m sure artists would have been tripping over each other to land such a dream job.

Maybe the Perth Mint would like to do it- it could go on for years, decades even.

That sounds very ambitious and exciting. 

Hopefully the Stone'enge wouldn't be at risk of being trampled by a bloody dwarf! 🤣

14 minutes ago, RedDragon77 said:

That sounds very ambitious and exciting. 

Hopefully the Stone'enge wouldn't be at risk of being trampled by a bloody dwarf! 🤣

I was thinking of a similar set to the America The Beautiful quarters. 

And yes Spinal Tap might well qualify as a national treasure- if not exactly a landmark.

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, rlstineftw said:

Is there any interest for these?

I was trying to get rid of the second coin and I got even less than the price of a regular bullion.
The last design is awful, maybe it's because of that. :lol:

I think generally interest has decline and more so with some. I'm interested in completing the series.

11 hours ago, rlstineftw said:

Is there any interest for these?

I was trying to get rid of the second coin and I got even less than the price of a regular bullion.
The last design is awful, maybe it's because of that. :lol:

..... I really want To believe you about the prices but.... I don't 

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/09/2020 at 12:52, ravenshunter said:

I see the next coin from the giants of the ice age series will be the bear due out in October

Screenshot_2020-09-27-12-47-24-367_com.android.chrome.jpg

Definitely better than the sabertooth Tiger but would like to see it in the flesh

Looking for 1981 and 1983-1984 GOLD Ghanaian coins