• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

3 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

How much of that is crud on the capsule, dust in the capsule and scratches on the surface of the coin?

Royal Mint's legendary quality control in action, I see.

These capsules have light bending magnifying glass  effect, finger print and the slightest bit of fluff is magnified 

Just now, GoldDiggerDave said:

Still waiting for the 5 and 10 oz’s 

Very interested to see the comparison side by side.. I have a feeling the bigger ones might be better proportioned..?

Could be wrong though

13 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

These capsules have light bending magnifying glass  effect, finger print and the slightest bit of fluff is magnified 

The silver one has a lot of little hairs as well.  Maybe it's dust on the capsule.  I find if I'm taking photos, I wind up giving it a squirt with an air duster every two and a bit.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

16 minutes ago, iacabu said:

Love a couple of deliveries at the office to brighten up a Friday at work 

20240308_134557.jpg

I want the South African Crown. Gizzit, go on.

Progress is a myth. Democracy is a sham. Dumbing down is real.
Throw your mobile 'phone in the bin, it will free you!
Turn your TV off, cancel your licence.
USE CASH WHEREVER POSSIBLE.

2 hours ago, Silverlocks said:

The silver one has a lot of little hairs as well.  Maybe it's dust on the capsule.  I find if I'm taking photos, I wind up giving it a squirt with an air duster every two and a bit.

Agreed.  Having taken a lot of microscope photos as well as macro, dust and fibres are everywhere.  Unless the mint is in a clean room, like an electronics fab, you will never be rid of them.  And the moment you take off the top of the capsule to photograph it, it will be covered.  Not to mention the micro plastics that shed from the capsules themselves.  With the microscope, even slabbed coins are covered in tiny dust particles.

Air dusters are useful (don't use the canned stuff), and there are some electrostatic options, but you won't ever get rid of all of it.

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

6 minutes ago, ReeceO said:

What's every one's thoughts on these? Bought a tube of 1/10th silver coins and the tubes no longer than me thumb 😂 cheap they were at £75 posted 

20240308_140548.jpg

I love the fractional silver 1/10 and 1/4 but can’t bring myself to pay the premiums on them although @theman73 does do great deals compared to RM

9 minutes ago, ReeceO said:

What's every one's thoughts on these? Bought a tube of 1/10th silver coins and the tubes no longer than me thumb 😂 cheap they were at £75 posted 

20240308_140548.jpg

When you take the insert out and you realise it doesn't even go all the way to the bottom of the outer tube, it feels even more swindly :D 

11 minutes ago, ReeceO said:

20240308_140548.jpg

I like them, who stocks them?

2 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

When you take the insert out and you realise it doesn't even go all the way to the bottom of the outer tube, it feels even more swindly :D 

I'd prefer a tube that was the right size though. And card not plastic. Yes, that would be nice.

4 minutes ago, SovereignBull said:

I love the fractional silver 1/10 and 1/4 but can’t bring myself to pay the premiums on them although @theman73 does do great deals compared to RM

I wouldn't normally bud just something a little different from full size britannia 😅

Just now, ReeceO said:

I wouldn't normally bud just something a little different from full size britannia 😅

16 in a tube is really weird though. I'd expect 10, 15, 20, etc

2 minutes ago, Earthmetal said:

I like them, who stocks them?

I bought them from a Facebook group, not too sire which one as I'm many now haha!