• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Boring question

hi interested to know if you keep your gold coins -bullion not proofs in coin capsules? i always did before putting them in storage but i took them all out again recently so i can easily access and hold the metal itself - at risk of sounding crazy. Whats the consensus, are we protecting the circulating bullion grade gold or are we setting it free?

My bullion sovereigns and britannias are in capsules, placed in tubes. I've been lucky in that my britannias are generally in as new condition (or purchased new), and my bullion sovereigns are in good grades (with the exception of one or two, which just float around outside of capsules / get handled). I still view good condition bullion sovereigns as potentially being more sellable if I keep them in good condition. Also the older ones, even if worn from circulation (prior to 1914), I see as historical and I should preserve them as they are. But we each have our thoughts and opinions on stuff like that. I stack and collect, and find interest in the different mintages, mint marks etc.

When I come to liquidate... if I have for example 10 1914 sovereigns, I will liquidate the most worn / circulated first, retaining the better ones.

But I can also see why people don't bother putting them in capsules, want to hold them. I can also understand those wanting to 'max out' a tube if they have the quantity to do so, to save on space, which capsules would take up.

Posted (edited)

Tubes and loose proofs in their capsules, proofs in their original boxes.

Edited by Aldebaran

When all hope is gone all that’s left is truth. 

Capsules for Mint state sovs and proofs, tubes for old circulated sovs. As long as they aren't being jangled about every day lol.

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

3 minutes ago, ArgentSmith said:

Capsules for Mint state sovs and proofs, tubes for old circulated sovs. As long as they aren't being jangled about every day lol.

Yeah unfortunately the majority of mine are modern copper shiny discs, so tubes are out. Although if premium continues to be non existing, I'm going to turn them all into clangers and store in the tumble dryer.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

I used to keep my coins pretty much however i received them, those in capsules or slabs stayed in them and the loose ones were just in some old jewellery boxes i had with a bit of soft packing between them. Once i got enough for this to not really practical, the loose ones all got put in some capsules and stacked in a bigger more convenient (but less protective) box as i now rely on the capsules to keep them from banging about.

3 hours ago, modofantasma said:

Can't afford all those capsules and fancy tubes. A few of these does the trick 

signal-2024-05-02-16-04-05-882.jpg

My loose best price sovereigns are in a vitamin C tube at the front of the safe deposit box 

Plastic NGC PF70 coffins take up too much safe deposit real estate for my liking :( so only big bits are allowed in mine, five sov or 2oz gold 

Posted (edited)

I don't have any gold proofs or even rare dates as I collect gold only for bullion value and I like touching them.  Sovs and even 24k, not bothered about, will handle it.  But I still keep them in capsules none the less and take out from time to time.

However my silver collection I do not touch, it is entirely proof only and they stay in the capsule, in their proof box, in their shipping box.  I just write on the shipping box what each is inside.  I sometimes take the coin in its capsule and just admire them for the artwork on them then place back in the box inside the other box lol.

Gold is an investment for me and silver is for fun and do not expect a return on it.

Edited by MassiveGoldenDongle
Additional info

1 hour ago, Paul said:

My loose best price sovereigns are in a vitamin C tube at the front of the safe deposit box 

Plastic NGC PF70 coffins take up too much safe deposit real estate for my liking :( so only big bits are allowed in mine, five sov or 2oz gold 

I nearly did this, got the vitamin tube, washed thoroughly and allowed to air dry for a week. Put 2 sovereigns in and bottled it 😆 🤣 

4 hours ago, modofantasma said:

Can't afford all those capsules and fancy tubes. A few of these does the trick 

signal-2024-05-02-16-04-05-882.jpg

I’ve been throwing those tubes away for years - now we’re talking🥳

1 minute ago, Aldebaran said:

I’ve been throwing those tubes away for years - now we’re talking🥳

They hold around 96-97 sovereigns. 

4 minutes ago, James32 said:

4 minutes ago, James32 said:

Perfect - well sort of - 100 would be neater 🖖

Just now, Aldebaran said:

Perfect - well sort of - 100 would be neater 🖖

Yeah that annoyed me too, even though I didn't try it in the end 😅 

2 minutes ago, dicker said:

Personally, capsules for everything.  

I am a custodian, not an owner, and as such wish to preserve condition for the next owner(s)

Best

Dicker

Very well put 👍 

6 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Capsules.......... like a pair of socks shoved down your pants to make your stack look bigger than it really is  🤣

I've heard of the sock trick, but never heard of someone using a pair before. 

52 minutes ago, dicker said:

Personally, capsules for everything.  

I am a custodian, not an owner, and as such wish to preserve condition for the next owner(s)

Best

Dicker

Fair do's. Never thought of it like that.