• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Continuing to buy gold at new highs?

On 04/04/2024 at 13:24, bipolar said:

With the gold price reaching new highs, are you guys continuing to buy? 

Yep, small monthly purchases...

Looking to complete a date run of Bu Sovs and still require; 2010, 2011, 2018 & 2019

I tend to buy the gold products that I want to add to my collection at or near their release dates.  So yes, I will keep buying new items as and when I want to add them to my collection.

But I do have the luxury of being able to sell some items from my stack and also my gold ETF to fund some of these.  Once I think I've finished buying new physical gold, I'll sell the rest of the stack and the ETF at or near the next ATH, as and when I need the money.

I had the foresight to buy this additional coverage a few years ago at an average price of about £1150 per oz.  So my advice to others would be to do something similar if you can.  In the medium to long term, the price is likely to be significantly higher than today.

I'll be out of the game for a month or 2 as i have other things i need to buy.

But ill carry on when i can. Ive still got a few years of buying ahead of me (hopefully) so will continue to do so. 

If im not buying gold, ill be back to buying c**p on the regular and still have the same bank balance ive always had.

Personally I have almost come to a halt on both au and ag. Having said that I'm in it 4 life, so even at these highs I will be buying as and when I can. 

I have mentioned before just be selective on your purchases 

Edited by Tn21

On 05/04/2024 at 20:16, AaaGee said:

I'll be out of the game for a month or 2 as i have other things i need to buy.

But ill carry on when i can. Ive still got a few years of buying ahead of me (hopefully) so will continue to do so. 

If im not buying gold, ill be back to buying c**p on the regular and still have the same bank balance ive always had.

That's true. I've just looked at the price of gold and held off buying a sovereign....then blew £500 on a crossbow and £50 on a viking style drinking horn 🤣

Stopping impulse buying s**** was the reason I started stacking 🤣

Anyone want to swap a crossbow and a drinking horn for a sovereign?

Its a wierd one. I wouldnt know how to successfully go about buying low and selling at a profit so its safer for my finances to buy and keep hold. Im happy to do that as i dont like selling anyway 😄.

Im 50 this year and plan to sell up when i retire.

If it gets to the point i cant afford to buy anymore Gold, ill just sit on what i have and that will have to do. If i can carry on, i will.

Im trying to not go smaller than sovereigns but occasionally a nice 1/10 will come my way that i cant resist.

3 minutes ago, AaaGee said:

Its a wierd one. I wouldnt know how to successfully go about buying low and selling at a profit

This is very true on any investment that you're holding long term. Fair enough I have mgade a fair bit on the old pump and dumps of the crypto wild west, but sometimes thats just down to luck rather than judgement. At least with gold, you're safe in the knowledge that it will keep rising eventually, even if its a bit of a seesaw. If it doesn't just go putin on the world and start a war somewhere

Yeah, I'm still buying.  Buy 1oz gold each of the last 3 months with my most recent purchase this past Thursday.  A 2024 1oz gold Canadian Maple with King Charles on the reverse.  My first one of this type.

I'm at 55 gold ounces at this point.  Started buying back in 2012, so I'm purchasing based on "dollar-cost-average" principle.

A year ago I bought 2x 10oz Johnson Matthey gold bars.  Paid $25,450 CAD and $26,200 CAD for each.  Today they're are each over $31,000 CAD a piece.  That's how bad the CAD dropped in value.

It's a win-win for me to keep buying at this point.

Think of this, I bought my first 2 gold oz Canadian Maples back in May 2012.  Paid around $1600 a piece CAD for each.  At today's price I would only be able to buy just one.

Gold is awesome, and I got so much of it.

Watching the price go up, down and sideways in the short term got boring for me after a while.

Over the last few years I've never let an 'all time high' stop a purchase, knowing there will be a new 'all time high' at some point further down the road.

The longer I own it, the happier I am with my purchase. Now, if I can just learn to let go... 😅

5 hours ago, CanadianMaple said:

Yeah, I'm still buying.  Buy 1oz gold each of the last 3 months with my most recent purchase this past Thursday.  A 2024 1oz gold Canadian Maple with King Charles on the reverse.  My first one of this type.

I'm at 55 gold ounces at this point.  Started buying back in 2012, so I'm purchasing based on "dollar-cost-average" principle.

A year ago I bought 2x 10oz Johnson Matthey gold bars.  Paid $25,450 CAD and $26,200 CAD for each.  Today they're are each over $31,000 CAD a piece.  That's how bad the CAD dropped in value.

Think of this, I bought my first 2 gold oz Canadian Maples back in May 2012.  Paid around $1600 a piece CAD for each.  At today's price I would only be able to buy just one.

Love the new maple. Shiny shiny 

On 07/04/2024 at 05:58, CanadianMaple said:

I’m a great supporter of Canada, as you can see!

Any chance of Canadian citizenship?…….😁 

IMG_0607.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

I’m a great supporter of Canada, as you can see!

Any chance of Canadian citizenship?…….😁 

IMG_0607.jpeg

Plenty of wilderness there … able to find a nice place out of the way and live the dream🤔🤔

Still trickling in a few more pieces to the collection. Its a long term goal for me. Glad I didn't stop buying at £200 a sovereign. I'm sure I'll feel the same at £400........Wait what are we at? £443.70 a single sovereign at Atkinsons

1 minute ago, ZRPMs said:

Still trickling in a few more pieces to the collection. Its a long term goal for me. Glad I didn't stop buying at £200 a sovereign. I'm sure I'll feel the same at £400........Wait what are we at? £443.70 a single sovereign at Atkinsons

Keep on buying… a little is better than nothing 🤔👍

Hi all, new to the forum and my first post (aside from saying hello in a newbie thread). I'll continue to buy what I can afford, and when I can afford it. I'll continue to buy 'best value' type sovereigns / half sovereigns with this approach (what I mostly stack / collect these days). If push comes to shove, I'll focus on half sov's.

As ever, hindsight is a wonderful thing, and none of us have a crystal ball for the future! I continue to see my sovereign stacking / collecting as both a bit of interesting fun, and an investment.

Best wishes, Esjayc