• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

At Buyers Risk

I lost a 1/4 brit a year or so ago posted SD. And had to claim it back. To some £400 is a nightmare. To me it was nothing short of traumatic. The stress was next level, not helped by going round in circles with the RM.

I stress EVERY time i buy or sell now. God only knows how im going to handle selling up. Ill cross that bridge when i get to it.

SD to me is next day delivery and decent tracking. Not much else.

Just now, AaaGee said:

I lost a 1/4 brit a year or so ago posted SD. And had to claim it back. To some £400 is a nightmare. To me it was nothing short of traumatic. The stress was next level, not helped by going round in circles with the RM.

I stress EVERY time i buy or sell now. God only knows how im going to handle selling up. Ill cross that bridge when i get to it.

It’s not even next day now the service is fkd up I’ve waited 3 days for SD on occasion now.

Just now, Sovhead said:

It’s not even next day now the service is fkd up I’ve waited 3 days for SD on occasion now.

The sender can put in a claim for a refund if it's not by 1pm

My best claim was for something delivered at 1.04pm and I got a full refund on postage 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

1 minute ago, BackyardBullion said:

The sender can put in a claim for a refund if it's not by 1pm

My best claim was for something delivered at 1.04pm and I got a full refund on postage 

Can’t be arsed with that mate if I sell or buy as long as it gets there I’m happy 👍🏻

Just now, Sovhead said:

Can’t be arsed with that mate if I sell or buy as long as it gets there I’m happy 👍🏻

Fair enough, the claim takes about 3 minutes and it's free money!

6 minutes ago, AaaGee said:

same here its not easy

1 minute ago, AaaGee said:

In all honesty I prefer to deliver my coins to the recipient by hand direct. I drive down to NW England to drop off my coins for grading with GoldDigger Dave and return to collect them. The one coin I’ve sold meant a drive to NE England when I sold a coin back privately to the person I’d originally bought it from several years earlier. 

Obvious this can’t continue forever more if I want to sell anything further afield. Hence my earlier question regarding the over inquisitive lady at the Post Office. 

Own it and Love it.

(With thanks to 9x883 for the suggestion)

23 minutes ago, GoodAsGold said:

Apologies folks but I too would like to go slightly off topic regarding sending coins by special delivery. I’ve noticed a few times when stood in the queue at the Post Office that the lady behind the counter asks customers can you tell me what the package contains? I’d never dream of stating a gold coin for obvious reasons, but if you were confronted by the same question what answer would you give (apart from calling her a nosey cow)?  Thank you.

I always say it’s a frozen sperm sample and must get there in time.

Always first thing delivered.

“Foook You, you’re an irrelevant customer, go somewhere else peasant, nobody’s listening, I’m alright Jack”

-Royal Mint 2024

1 hour ago, blackadder said:

They will always try and worm their way outta things,took them afew months to sort a problem i had out,then they offered me a book of stamps lol.

And instead you chose Baldrick.

Own it and Love it.

(With thanks to 9x883 for the suggestion)

1 hour ago, BackyardBullion said:

Fair enough, the claim takes about 3 minutes and it's free money!

OK, Do you give this free money back to the buyer as they were the ones who paid for it?

Never Chase and Never Regret 

1 hour ago, Spyder said:

OK, Do you give this free money back to the buyer as they were the ones who paid for it?

If they were the ones that paid, yes.

9 hours ago, NGMD said:

When I get off my lazy arse to sell something it is always SD Included- no option given. 

My cost, my responsibility and mine to chase if it gets lost- never the buyer. 

I like it! I'll adopt that when I sell anything too. Makes sense and also gives the buyer some comfort knowing that the items are being sent as best as possible,

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/

11 hours ago, Darr3nG said:

I'm not doubting you, just interested in how any seller genuinely believes that SD is at "buyers' risk"

Presumably they are saying it is at buyers risk even though they will try and get a refund if RM doesn't refund then they're not going to take the hit? So assuming RM do their part there is no risk? 

Ok, lets make it really easy for you...

As private seller/buyer - The reason the buyer assumes risk is to protect their payment value because Royal Mail will only pay out insurance value against the sales/purchase invoice value of the claimant. Title passes to the buyer upon payment of goods.

The example being:

Scenario 1 - Seller CIF - carriage insurance freight (paid by seller)

Seller buy a coin for £500.

Seller sells the coin for£1000.

If seller claims for loss the Royal mail need evidence of original purchase value and therefore in this case it would sellers purchase invoice for £500. 

Only half of the value is returned.

Scenario 2 - Buyer CIF - carriage insurance freight (paid by buyer)

Seller buy a coin for £500.

Seller sells the coin for£1000.

If buyer claims for loss the Royal mail need evidence of original purchase value and therefore in this case it would be the buyers invoice for £1000. 

Buyer gets full refund.

Additionally, You must always quote actual value to the post office as a different value stated on the postage receipt to that of any claim will make the claim void under RM policy.  So, never leave insurance value at £2500 if goods are sold for £1500.

By purchasing RM postage you are entering into a contract with them and they will hold you accountable to their contract terms. 

If you sell to someone delivered you are opening both parties to risk of loss which can easily be avoided.

3 hours ago, TeaTime said:

Would anyone ever buy from a seller who stated that insured items lost in post are the responsibility of the buyer ?

Yes I've done that but only when I either trust the seller, generally from a few other purchases and/or they will provide a proof of posting on demand, and I've chosen to only pay for a second class stamp etc.

My choice to save £5 - 6 on RMSD costs on the basis of a risk:reward decision based on countless previous RM deliveries.

My limit for this is usually a half sovereign but with the price of gold these days I may revise downwards. In the past I have done so up to a full sovereign.

"What a wonderfully innocent world they must live in"   Lol I wish it were true😀

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

14 minutes ago, BritStacker said:

Scenario 2 - Buyer CIF - carriage insurance freight (paid by buyer)

Does this hold if the seller actually buys the shipping even if the buyer actually pays the charge to the seller?

Edited by sovereignsteve
quoted wrong option - changed now

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Having made a successful claim with Royal Mail once before they will reimburse you for what it would cost to get a replacement item.

So, if you bought a gold Britannia 10 years ago for £700 they would compensate you for a replacement and not the £700.

Your DM trail must show the buyer paid for postage to ensure full pay-out. i.e. they have agreed to paying postage as per terms of sale.  This then covers buyer and seller and determines RM pay-out route. 

Did you claim as a business? Then yes that would apply. If not then you get lucky.

As a private seller their terms are quite clear and for the sake of a line of text to ensure full insurance cover I know which one I'd choose.