• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Metrobank - SD Boxes

dicker

5 minutes ago, dicker said:

Hi All

I suspect some of us have an SD box with Metrobank.

The Metrobank news over the last  two weeks coupled with their share price performance has been a bit worrying. 

Today, I closed my SD box at Metrobank and moved to another provider as a precaution.  The gent in the branch said there had been quite a few people doing the same….

Best

Dicker

Someone I work with has a substantial gold coin collection in one of their branches sd boxes. He'll probably be worried as well.

I did the same thing a month ago when they had their shareholder wobble.

Closed my savings account with them also.

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Metro is in big trouble. They are in talks to sell their mortgage book to barclays. Once a few start to panic it will  become a stampede like Northern Rock and before you know it, the bank be needing to do a capital raise to keep going.  It will be death spiral financing. They are already making massive redundancy.

Edited by Spyder

Never Chase and Never Regret 

2 hours ago, katyc said:

I use an independent company as I'm a paranoid android when it comes to banks and trusting them. Although the company I use only has two vaults (Manchester and Leeds). I use the Leeds one for convenience, but the Manchester branch has been going 100 years and have never had a break in which helps me sleep at night.

ooh! We may pass likes ships in the night!🤔😮😁

1 hour ago, Spyder said:

Metro is in big trouble. They are in talks to sell their mortgage book to barclays. Once a few start to panic it will  become a stampede like Northern Rock and before you know it, the bank be needing to do a capital raise to keep going.  It will be death spiral financing. They are already making massive redundancy.

I worked in IB for 20 years.  Cutting the bottom 10 to 15 percent of bottom performing employees is entirely normal.

I have my suspicions around MB’s issues but hey ho.

Not my circus, not my monkeys

WISE CHOICE.

Of all the UK high street banks that look vulnerable to me it is Metro Bank. Especially with their recent finanical troubles that have been papered over. When they first opened around me I said to myself "this looks a bit dodge" lol

@dickerAlways go with your gut feeling.

17 minutes ago, Abyss said:

Same here. I use the Manchester branch and it has survived two world wars. Shame they only have two branches in Manchester/Leeds they could easily expand into other areas. My dad used them when he moved to Manchester in 1992 to initially store gold jewellery and subsequently when he passed away I inherited the contents and used them in addition to store my gold collection. As a family we have utilised this company to store our physical wealth for 31 years......

https://www.stjames-safedeposit.com/

I did ask about more branches recently and they said it is quite rare they get that option (since they require old bank vaults - which need to be the right type, size etc), so I guess not often the opportunity arises.

You'd think with all these banks closing down there would be plenty of opportunity, but the vast majority don't have "proper" vaults. I'm sure there's plenty out there still from the old days (but being used as something else).

I think they're a brilliant company and an absolute god send.

Edited by katyc

13 minutes ago, katyc said:

I did ask about more branches recently and they said it is quite rare they get that option (since they require old bank vaults - which need to be the right type, size etc), so I guess not often the opportunity arises.

You'd think with all these banks closing down there would be plenty of opportunity, but the vast majority don't have "proper" vaults. I'm sure there's plenty out there still from the old days (but being used as something else).

I think they're a brilliant company and an absolute god send.

Quite enjoy a day out to the vault. Nice friendly people there

How far do people travel to their SD boxes? The nearest one to me looks like youd get mugged for a decent pair of trainers outside the building. And double yellows on the main road outside.

2nd nearest is a MetroBank (with a non functioning website).

Edited by AaaGee
Spelling

2 hours ago, AaaGee said:

How far do people travel to their SD boxes? The nearest one to me looks like youd get mugged for a decent pair of trainers outside the building. And double yellows on the main road outside.

This is/was the appeal of a metrobank as a busy high street is like hiding in plain sight. Many many other SDB are in shady areas and it’s pretty obvious what they are.

The box can be safe as houses but your the real target if people clock you going in or out.

1 minute ago, AuricGoldfinger said:

This is/was the appeal of a metrobank as a busy high street is like hiding in plain sight. Many many other SDB are in shady areas and it’s pretty obvious what they are.

The box can be safe as houses but your the real target if people clock you going in or out.

Yes, I can't deny that I really don't like that part. The Leeds centrally located though (not sure about the Manchester once)

5 hours ago, AaaGee said:

10 minutes by car to the train station, 20 minutes by train to Manchester Piccadilly, plus another 15 minutes brisk walk or 40 minutes by car paying for NCP car parking. I am glad it takes some effort to visit the SD box otherwise you could view it as a piggy bank that you could dip into every so often rather than a permanent safe storage location holding generation wealth in.....

Unsure about London, but Manchester is fairly safe during daylight hours.