• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

closed Experiment to settle £1020 bank debt costing only £850 - Sealed £20 and £100 silver legal tender coins bundle, plus bonus

51 minutes ago, stefffana said:

So, from this story, the bank accepted at beginning these coins to settle the debts. They refused him only after they realised that it was a fraud scheme to repeatedly get cash back from them.😊

I think this is what happened. Some people realised that if they bought loads of £100 coins and then paid them with their credit card and then paid the £100 coins straight back into their bank and  then paid back their credit card before any interest was applied they were not actually out of pocket but could take advantage of any rewards scheme the credit card companies were offering, air miles etc. you could rack up these rewards at a rapid rate while it  never cost you a penny only a little time and effort.  this is why the banks stopped accepting them.

1 hour ago, James32 said:

I haven’t got the time to take this on at the min but definitely a great video idea & experiment! I’ll be very interested to see the outcome if someone does decide to give it a try!

43 minutes ago, stefffana said:

the bank accepted at beginning these coins

It was not fraud but the term 'legal tender' is subjective. In other words you can't force someone to take 'legal tender' coins/money as a means to settle debts. It is upon the merchant to decide if he sees what is offered as money or not. Ironically silver coins are not money but fiat is 🤣

https://www.royalmint.com/faqs/uk-currency/how-can-i-dispose-of-commemorative-2-coins/#:~:text=They are legal tender but,most banks and retailers refuse.

As far as I know, it was not the banks that brought in the rule it was Royalmint, who asked the banks not to accept these coins after they found out that people were buying these coins with Avios linked credit cards and taking the coins the banks when they received the booty. Some guys flew in first class to NY this way it seems.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-3390519/I-buy-Royal-Mint-commemorative-coins-bulk-credit-card-gain-airmiles-cash-bank-s-refusing-accept-them.html

rm.pdf

2 minutes ago, sellerstacker said:

It was not fraud but the term 'legal tender' is subjective. In other words you can't force someone to take 'legal tender' coins/money as a means to settle debts. It is upon the merchant to decide if he sees what is offered as money or not. Ironically silver coins are not money but fiat is 🤣

https://www.royalmint.com/faqs/uk-currency/how-can-i-dispose-of-commemorative-2-coins/#:~:text=They are legal tender but,most banks and retailers refuse.

As far as I know, it was not the banks that brought in the rule it was Royalmint, who asked the banks not to accept these coins after they found out that people were buying these coins with Avios linked credit cards and taking the coins the banks when they received the booty. Some guys flew in first class to NY this way it seems.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-3390519/I-buy-Royal-Mint-commemorative-coins-bulk-credit-card-gain-airmiles-cash-bank-s-refusing-accept-them.html

rm.pdf 74.55 kB · 0 downloads

This is true, the thing is though, value is subjective so quite literally anything can be tendered as payment. 

There is far more interesting things with relation to debts, i.e understanding that when you create an agreement for a "loan" this is a promissory note, this in itself is treated by the lenders as money, and you should be entitled to it back upon settlement of the debt, this is reaffirmed within the Consumer Credit Act. I don't know of anyone who's managed to get their original agreement back because the chances are the lenders likely no longer have it. Can't share too much here but there other resources I can point to (if I'm allowed to share links) where folks can learn about this sort of this.

18 minutes ago, 365DaysofSilver said:

I haven’t got the time to take this on at the min but definitely a great video idea & experiment! I’ll be very interested to see the outcome if someone does decide to give it a try!

think of the views, likes, shares and subscribes 🤑

76YU.gif

Think of the FAME!

The ladies and fast cars!!

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

10 minutes ago, spookyandroid said:

Can't share too much here but there other resources I can point to (if I'm allowed to share links) where folks can learn about this sort of this.

if I say Maxxxxxxx/m, is this what you are saying?

Never Chase and Never Regret 

My advice is @stefffana is  list them on ebay for coin collectors at the face value and maybe offer discount of say 5% if bulk order is made of say 20 coins. Taking into consideration of ebay fees and what Ive said I still think youd turn a profit. I think its really the only way to go tbh. Albeit being a bit of heartache selling on ebay. 

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

33 minutes ago, sellerstacker said:

rm.pdf 74.55 kB · 0 downloads

This is a bit crazy, it's not the Royal Mints job to make up Laws as they see fit. Presumably a credit card debt or any other debt can be settled in legal tender after going to court where the plaintiff would have to pick up costs and accept Stefans coins.

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

1 minute ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

the BOE had to re define what it meant

Where is this power granted to the BOE, I know im being slightly autistic but I mean WTF

58 minutes ago, ArgentSmith said:

Where is this power granted to the BOE, I know im being slightly autistic but I mean WTF

Nothing compared to the power of the WEF, another un democratic un elected body with the power to control sovereign nations. 

@Scuzzle @sellerstacker yes that guy who was left with £29k of coins was the one I was thinking of. 

The youtube channel where the chap goes round trying to spend these coins in tesco, coop, petrol stations, etc is called "Julian Chamberlain" Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. Sometimes the police are called out so it would be fun trying to spend these to say the least.

57 minutes ago, johniom said:

The youtube channel where the chap goes round trying to spend these coins in tesco, coop, petrol stations, etc is called "Julian Chamberlain" 

Hes also been on here on the forum. He had an interesting debate with @LawrenceChard if you use the search button you can find it

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

1 hour ago, johniom said:

@Scuzzle @sellerstacker yes that guy who was left with £29k of coins was the one I was thinking of. 

The youtube channel where the chap goes round trying to spend these coins in tesco, coop, petrol stations, etc is called "Julian Chamberlain" Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. Sometimes the police are called out so it would be fun trying to spend these to say the least.