• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The coronation proof sovereign

Sc391

I just received an email from the RM that the coronation proof sovereign collection goes on sales Monday June 12 at 9AM.  (see below)

Can someone please help me understand.  Is this the sovereign release, or simply another coronation special sovereign- the picture shows a proof sov with  a crowned Charles and St Geo and Dragon on reverse.  It’s a proof version of the SOTD.  I can’t imagine we will still have another in the fall in the regular schedule……

The Coronation Proof Sovereign

Available 9am, Monday 12 June

In celebration of His Majesty The King’s coronation, we are proud to announce the launch of a new Sovereign collection featuring a unique crowned coinage portrait of The King designed exclusively for The Royal Mint and only available as part of the Coronation UK Coin Collection.

The Coronation Sovereign Collection will be available to order from 9am BST, Monday 12 June. 

We anticipate high demand for these coins, so please be ready to place your order from 9am.

15 minutes ago, Sc391 said:

We anticipate high demand for these coins, so please be ready to place your order from 9am.

And we will endeavour to deliver at some point before now and year end 🤣

General question here - IF you were trying to budget your way through the sovereign morass this year and you had already been lucky enough to get a SOTD, would you still see a need to jump on the next sov proof bandwagon this Monday.  I’m feeling a bit of sov overload and thinking I’d like to avoid a hangover.

13 minutes ago, Sc391 said:

General question here - IF you were trying to budget your way through the sovereign morass this year and you had already been lucky enough to get a SOTD, would you still see a need to jump on the next sov proof bandwagon this Monday.  I’m feeling a bit of sov overload and thinking I’d like to avoid a hangover.

FWIW I got the SOTD sovereign and that’s gonna do for me. Rest of the budget will get blown on bullion Coronation Sovs when they come out 👍🏼

Yes I think we can assume this will be the only 2023 Proof Sovereign.

There’s no real reason for the RM to release a “normal” 2023 Proof Sovereign range. I see 2023 as the Coronation year, so the Coronation range is (imo) the only one we’ll see this year.

That said, we can expect a plain edge matte SotD Sovereign in November for KC III’s birthday (with his uncrowned effigy, to distinguish it from the Coronation SotD Sovereign). 😏

1 minute ago, trozau said:

WAG: only 1 effigy for KC3 reign - Old Head!

But old head crowned and uncrowned, so really two effigies? 🙂

7 hours ago, Agaupl said:

Will the crowned head be coming to bullion does anyone know? @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer will you be taking preorders for the proof?

We found this on the Royal mints website 
image.thumb.png.74350bb89190eaacacc725ed9c22f5f0.png

We also have a page for any future sovereign releases (sign up here to be notified)
https://www.chards.co.uk/latest-gold-proof-sovereign-range/18701

Thanks!

On 05/06/2023 at 20:33, Goldfever20 said:

Something like that…

8DAF6679-6278-4A22-ABB5-BE927444D6C8.jpeg

Anyone remember the price for £5 memorial sovereign? Looks like with the low Mintage, this would be the one to collect!?! 

17 minutes ago, AR03 said:

Anyone remember the price for £5 memorial sovereign? Looks like with the low Mintage, this would be the one to collect!?! 

It was 1,200 @ £5,595 - I spoke to 2 dealers about them, as there are a number of sets still for sale close to the RM release price;

the 2 people I spoke to said they believed most serious collectors had them by now, so those still hanging around, seemingly have little to no potential for a fast price gain, so are not easy to move very much over the release price (£5,595).

Edited by Coverte

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

4 minutes ago, Coverte said:

It was 1,200 @ £5,595 - I spoke to 2 dealers about them, as there are a number of sets still for sale close to the RM release price;

the 2 people I spoke to said they believed most serious collectors had them by now, so those still hanging around, seemingly have little to no potential for a fast price gain, so are not easy to move very much over the release price (£5,595).

5k!!!??? Not planning to spend so much on a sovereign... Nothing else seems interesting in this range... Wonder if there will be matt or plain edge! 

2 minutes ago, AR03 said:

5k!!!??? Not planning to spend so much on a sovereign... Nothing else seems interesting in this range... Wonder if there will be matt or plain edge! 

It’s the 5 coin proof set 

£5725 on Monday 

14 minutes ago, AR03 said:

My error, I only saw the 5 coin set quoted right above your post - the memorial sovereign proof was £695, with an initial release of 17,500 proofs and total mintage figure of 23,160

- that's a lot IMO and confirmed by the fact they can be still be bought below RM release price.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

1 minute ago, SiCole said:

You say that but next time theres a pic of your collection i am sure we will see a few in there :) 

I will just be buying pre-coffined perfect 70s in the after market. Not participating on Monday 

Hopefully the flipperarti will be able to provide at a very fair price compared to RRP when the market is flooded with them in 3-6 months  

1 hour ago, Paul said:

I will just be buying pre-coffined perfect 70s in the after market. Not participating on Monday 

Hopefully the flipperarti will be able to provide at a very fair price compared to RRP when the market is flooded with them in 3-6 months  

Agree entirely - I propose to do likewise; further to my post/s above, maybe worth noting that during one of the (many!!) May bank holidays, Chards offered 5 coin memorial sovereign proof set/s at a discount to RM price for a limited 3-4 day period, nobody bought.

The 2022 Sovereign, Elizabeth II Jubilee flavour, with a mintage of about 40% less than the Memorials, are already seeing interesting premiums.

- I doubt anything will prevent RM from trying to flog this variant to death with another 17,500 sovereign proof issuance however, hence my only consideration maybe a proof Quintuple Sovereign, where I suspect/hope, only about 1,000 maybe issued. 

3 hours ago, SiCole said:

It’s the 5 coin proof set 

£5725 on Monday 

Just doing some basic maths for the 5 set 

If RRP is £5725 that gets you a 5 2 1 half and quarter or 8.75 sovereigns 

So each sovereign is factored to 654.28 each, so times 5, a five sovereign you'll be in for £3271 at launch 

Coronation £5 70s are around £3300 to £3800 currently 

I'll just hang around and wait I think 

25 minutes ago, Paul said:

Just doing some basic maths for the 5 set 

If RRP is £5725 that gets you a 5 2 1 half and quarter or 8.75 sovereigns 

So each sovereign is factored to 654.28 each, so times 5, a five sovereign you'll be in for £3271 at launch 

Coronation £5 70s are around £3300 to £3800 currently 

I'll just hang around and wait I think 

Just FYI Paul I did the same calculations for the 5 coin Memorial box set when I bought a PF70 Quintuple off a TSF member. A raw Memorial Quintuple equated to £3197 on release, or £74 less than your estimate for this one.

DIfference between the 4 coin and 5 coin set was £3200 with Memorial.

All depends on peoples gut feeling on how well it will do.

The memorial 5 sovs alone on open market have dried up a fair bit tbh - maybe we should have all got a few pf70's when everyone was panicking.