• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The coronation proof sovereign

Sc391

3 hours ago, Coverte said:

Agree entirely - I propose to do likewise; further to my post/s above, maybe worth noting that during one of the (many!!) May bank holidays, Chards offered 5 coin memorial sovereign proof set/s at a discount to RM price for a limited 3-4 day period, nobody bought.

If we’re talking about the same holiday weekend, then no, the discounted price was not below the RM issue price (iirc). The discounted price was on their prior increased price, and the discount brought it back down to RM issue price.

Please do correct me if I’m wrong here - I believe I had the same conversation with someone else here a couple weeks back. 

5 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

If we’re talking about the same holiday weekend, then no, the discounted price was not below the RM issue price (iirc). The discounted price was on their prior increased price, and the discount brought it back down to RM issue price.

Please do correct me if I’m wrong here - I believe I had the same conversation with someone else here a couple weeks back. 

I believe that's correct.

BCC have had 3 of the five coins sets in stock for a few weeks below RM issue price, still unsold 🥲

4 hours ago, SiCole said:

DIfference between the 4 coin and 5 coin set was £3200 with Memorial.

All depends on peoples gut feeling on how well it will do.

The memorial 5 sovs alone on open market have dried up a fair bit tbh - maybe we should have all got a few pf70's when everyone was panicking. 

Gut feelings are one thing but I struggle with the FOMO personally!

5 hours ago, paulmerton said:

I believe that's correct.

BCC have had 3 of the five coins sets in stock for a few weeks below RM issue price, still unsold 🥲

The way I see it is in the grand scheme of things, £200 (give or take) is not a big difference when one is spending £5,000+ (unless one is looking for a quick flip).

As the saying goes - you win some, you lose some - and I think in the long term these Memorial Sovs will be winners.

Just my thoughts. 🙂

14 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

The time line,  we had the Queen's platinum jubilee for the longest reigning monarch .  Fact none of us or even your great grandchildren children are highly unlikely to ever see a British monarch reign longer than QEII.  

The memorial sovereign is fitting tribute and a stunner of a design, it's one or if not the best looking reverse on a proof sovereign, and has the first portrait of a new monarch. Any collector will always want to have the first of a new monarch in their collection....if they can afford it in the future.   

The coronation sovereign,  is simply completes  holy trinity of these 3 sets, back to the George and the dragon and we have a coronation crowned portrait (I don't recall any other crowned coronation portrait on a modern sovereign)          

There has been no other time in history sovereign collectors have had this run of Jubilee, memorial and coronation, some collectors would have done a deal with the devil to be alive in this period of time, and not forgetting these sets are far more affordable and attainable for us the masses than recent ones  of 1911, 1937, etc  no way were were normal working people able to afford long sovereign sets.    Here we are able to afford them with a few months wages at a far lower mintage than pervious generations who could not in their wildest dreams be able to afford them ever.   

If you don't want one or can't afford them thats no crime no one will hold that against you.    If you are a collector have the funds or can budget a few months wages to have a set of these then why not, what else are you going to spend your money on?.......I bet we have all paid more for gym membership that we never used over the years then the price of a 5 set. 

Well said.

23 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

The time line,  we had the Queen's platinum jubilee for the longest reigning monarch .  Fact none of us or even your great grandchildren children are highly unlikely to ever see a British monarch reign longer than QEII.  

The memorial sovereign is fitting tribute and a stunner of a design, it's one or if not the best looking reverse on a proof sovereign, and has the first portrait of a new monarch. Any collector will always want to have the first of a new monarch in their collection....if they can afford it in the future.   

The coronation sovereign,  is simply completes  holy trinity of these 3 sets, back to the George and the dragon and we have a coronation crowned portrait (I don't recall any other crowned coronation portrait on a modern sovereign)          

There has been no other time in history sovereign collectors have had this run of Jubilee, memorial and coronation, some collectors would have done a deal with the devil to be alive in this period of time, and not forgetting these sets are far more affordable and attainable for us the masses than recent ones  of 1911, 1937, etc  no way were were normal working people able to afford long sovereign sets.    Here we are able to afford them with a few months wages at a far lower mintage than pervious generations who could not in their wildest dreams be able to afford them ever.   

If you don't want one or can't afford them thats no crime no one will hold that against you.    If you are a collector have the funds or can budget a few months wages to have a set of these then why not, what else are you going to spend your money on?.......I bet we have all paid more for gym membership that we never used over the years then the price of a 5 set. 

Great summation. Totally agree. I’m very excited about the crowned head 17k minted or not. 

Aaaahhh😉

On 10/06/2023 at 08:23, GoldDiggerDave said:

I can only imagine the gym you joined at that price, arnie as your personal trainer and shower rooms like saddam husseins palace!

https://agaunews.com/the-royal-mint-launches-the-full-sovereign-collection-to-celebrate-his-majesty-the-kings-coronation/

And of course

https://www.royalmint.com/sovereign/coronation-sovereign/

image.jpeg.ae233502358d888a50640e3ca2e3fa11.jpeg

And for those who can’t wait for a return to absolute normalcy (obverse and reverse!), here’s a sneak peek of the 2024 Sovereign. 😆

IMG_4180.jpeg.a1e771326c949808044dc07a82f31bd4.jpeg

Edited by westminstrel