• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Am I missing something?

KevjustKev

Or are they trying it on?

https://atkinsonsbullion.com/gold/gold-coins/gold-sovereign-coins/pre-owned-1918-india-mint-george-v-full-sovereign-gold-coin

I picked one of these up for a good price a few weeks ago, after all there were over 1,200,000 minted so why the price difference? 

Type about this for a bit

12 minutes ago, KevjustKev said:

Or are they trying it on?

https://atkinsonsbullion.com/gold/gold-coins/gold-sovereign-coins/pre-owned-1918-india-mint-george-v-full-sovereign-gold-coin

I picked one of these up for a good price a few weeks ago, after all there were over 1,200,000 minted so why the price difference? 

Type about this for a bit

It's an interesting year in that it was the only George V year to have the 'I' mintmark and if one wishes to have a sov of that era with 'I' mintmark it has to be a 1918. 

Interesting in that regard...

There are now the modern 'I' marked sovs from (I think) 2013 

1 hour ago, modofantasma said:

It's an interesting year in that it was the only George V year to have the 'I' mintmark and if one wishes to have a sov of that era with 'I' mintmark it has to be a 1918. 

Interesting in that regard...

There are now the modern 'I' marked sovs from (I think) 2013 

I happen to have a 2013 sov, will check it later. It was minted in India?

Edited by KleinerVogel

6 minutes ago, KleinerVogel said:

"I" meaning India? I happen to have a 2013 sov, will check it later. I'm still learning a lot about gold sovs, so excuse me if the question is a bit silly.

Yes on 1918 was Bombay mint though now Mumbai. 

The more recent ones were from 2013 to 2020.

https://sites.google.com/view/thepettyhoard/the-indian-sovereigns

Haven't come across 2021 or 2022 maybe someone else knows about those?

3 minutes ago, modofantasma said:

Interesting thanks, for a moment I thought you meant that all sovs of that year were minted in India, but that's just my fault, my morning coffee has not fully kicked in yet.

1 hour ago, KleinerVogel said:

"I" meaning India? I happen to have a 2013 sov, will check it later. I'm still learning a lot about gold sovs, so excuse me if the question is a bit silly.

You'd know if it was a modern India sov - they put silver in the alloy so it's not copper coloured, and they tend to come in special packaging.  They're also a bit on the pricey side here.

I think they stopped making them for some reason.  Not sure why.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

Interesting thanks, for a moment I thought you meant that all sovs of that year were minted in India, but that's just my fault, my morning coffee has not fully kicked in yet.

Here's a 2019 with and without mintmark (2019 photo is poorer quality just what I had on my phone to hand 

IMG_20230223_132251.thumb.jpg.d39cbdad3e9a1c7e909c47b58db9fd39.jpg

IMG_20230223_132348.thumb.jpg.7562f7301631aa180705c6936f60c1d7.jpg

The date will obviously be 2013 on yours but the mint mark would be in the same place if there is one 

2 hours ago, KleinerVogel said:

I happen to have a 2013 sov, will check it later. It was minted in India?

7 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

You'd know if it was a modern India sov - they put silver in the alloy so it's not copper coloured, and they tend to come in special packaging.  They're also a bit on the pricey side here.

Just about all the information you might need about gold sovereigns can be found here:

https://goldsovereigns.co.uk/information.html

or on the numerous links.

It might save you from having to buy a copy of Marsh, or a Spink Catalogue.

Also, unlike postage, it is free!

😎

Chards

4 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

😎

Never change.  We love you just the way you are.

But I will second that - Chards have a lot of good resources on their web site.

I mean, seriously, if you start doing free postage, what would we have left to wind you up about?

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

25 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

Ah yes, I wish they still made ours without the copper, I think the old ones look so much nicer.

19 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

If you have to ask the question, then the answer is almort certainly "no"!

😎

I see :) Yep you were right, it's just a regular old bullion sov from the UK. Oh well. Least I learned something today!

20 minutes ago, modofantasma said:

Here's a 2019 with and without mintmark (2019 photo is poorer quality just what I had on my phone to hand 

IMG_20230223_132251.thumb.jpg.d39cbdad3e9a1c7e909c47b58db9fd39.jpg

IMG_20230223_132348.thumb.jpg.7562f7301631aa180705c6936f60c1d7.jpg

The date will obviously be 2013 on yours but the mint mark would be in the same place if there is one 

Thanks for the information and pictures. Mine is without the "I" mint mark sadly. Cheers. 👍

3 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

Modern India sovereigns were minted in Delhi by MMTC-PAMP under a RM licence from 2013 possibly ending in 2022.

The alloy was exactly the same as the RMs - no silver!  But the quality was slightly better (BU I believe.) Photo shows the original 1918 one year George V.

IMG_2176.thumb.JPG.9cee6353f9a964b77f4f2b0141e617a1.JPG

"i" see what you did there 

isovs.thumb.jpg.10415e10629822e4a0297e468f956ea3.jpg

8 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Just about all the information you might need about gold sovereigns can be found here:

https://goldsovereigns.co.uk/information.html

or on the numerous links.

It might save you from having to buy a copy of Marsh, or a Spink Catalogue.

😎

Ye olde website he saya 404 error nota found

The elastic band has obviously slipped off the cog that links the hamster wheel to the internet.

2 hours ago, SidS said:

The modern Indian mint ones actually look good. They look gold. Better than the horrid salmon pink ones the RM produce, which I will never buy.

The 2013 and 2018 look exactly the same colour to me (in hand) as the RMs. ie coppery. I don’t see the ‘gold’  colour you mention. When you compare the 1918 with the 2018 the difference can easily be seen. Perhaps they have changed the alloy since, but I doubt it. As for the modern RM Sovs. they do not seem as pink as depicted in the advertising - just coppery!  I don’t like the colour but still buy them. In fact both 2022 Sovs seem to have toned down somewhat, but certainly not as golden as we would like…..

"i" see what you did there 

isovs.thumb.jpg.10415e10629822e4a0297e468f956ea3.jpg

Another boringly good photo!  Probably mentioned this before,  but was disappointed when I got the 2018 to find no commemoration mark for the 100th anniversary…..SidS says the Indian Sovs look golden. Has he been looking at your photos?! 😃😃

2 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

Probably mentioned this before,  but was disappointed when I got the 2018 to find no commemoration mark for the 100th anniversary

I had actually asked a contact at MMTC PAMP India about this back in the day, but they didn’t seem to care (as much as I did) about the anniversary. 😅

7 hours ago, SidS said:

The modern Indian mint ones actually look good. They look gold. Better than the horrid salmon pink ones the RM produce, which I will never buy.

Yep, they are cracking!

49 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I had actually asked a contact at MMTC PAMP India about this back in the day, but they didn’t seem to care (as much as I did) about the anniversary. 😅

I was in touch with them too, I found them to be particularly clueless and unhelpful (basically as they wouldn't/couldn't export they didn't give a toss, as they were only meant to be for the Indian market).

4 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

The 2013 and 2018 look exactly the same colour to me (in hand) as the RMs. ie coppery. I don’t see the ‘gold’  colour you mention. When you compare the 1918 with the 2018 the difference can easily be seen. Perhaps they have changed the alloy since, but I doubt it. As for the modern RM Sovs. they do not seem as pink as depicted in the advertising - just coppery!  I don’t like the colour but still buy them. In fact both 2022 Sovs seem to have toned down somewhat, but certainly not as golden as we would like…..

They know exactly how to make a coin gold when they want to...

1969165688_Screenshot2023-02-24at01_28_00.png.b8e12d37572d38616beb38b522dfa653.png

62510871_Screenshot2023-02-24at01_23_51.png.11b6c424a983a3c966613b5f42356965.png

78av.gif