• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Am I missing something?

KevjustKev

41 minutes ago, kimchi said:

I was in touch with them too, I found them to be particularly clueless and unhelpful (basically as they wouldn't/couldn't export they didn't give a toss, as they were only meant to be for the Indian market).

Clueless is the right word for them. 😀

Honestly I doubt the folks working there knew much, if anything, about the history of Sovereigns. There certainly were a handful of knowledgeable folks, but from conversations I had with most of them, it seemed the Sovereign was just one more type of gold coin they were producing; nothing extra special. Their marketing content is also likely to have come direct from the Royal Mint. Most of them had generic answers like “We’ll get back to you” (though most times they never did!) or “We can’t disclose this information” (which could be taken to mean “we don’t know either”). 😆

And indeed, the Indian government doesn’t permit exporting gold, so they couldn’t really be bothered with overseas anything.

7 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

The 2013 and 2018 look exactly the same colour to me (in hand) as the RMs. ie coppery. I don’t see the ‘gold’  colour you mention. When you compare the 1918 with the 2018 the difference can easily be seen. Perhaps they have changed the alloy since, but I doubt it. As for the modern RM Sovs. they do not seem as pink as depicted in the advertising - just coppery!  I don’t like the colour but still buy them. In fact both 2022 Sovs seem to have toned down somewhat, but certainly not as golden as we would like…..

I was just going on the photos. I've never seen one in hand. They look gold on the photos.

I saw a 2022 sovereign in the flesh a few months ago and the colour was as ghastly as I remember from the 2000 half sovereign I used to have. The modern ones are just not nice. Nothing beats a Vicky or George V sovereign, or even a Gillick.

6 hours ago, SilverDrum said:

They know exactly how to make a coin gold when they want to...

1969165688_Screenshot2023-02-24at01_28_00.png.b8e12d37572d38616beb38b522dfa653.png

62510871_Screenshot2023-02-24at01_23_51.png.11b6c424a983a3c966613b5f42356965.png

Yes, you make very good point. I would like to see the ‘yellow gold’ used for our sovereigns. Is that really ‘girlie pink’ on the edge, or the advertising departments failed attempt at depicting ‘red gold’? Let’s face it, if you want the true colour of gold it has to be a 1/4 oz Britannia or QB…..Actually ‘Flying Scotsman’ should be British Railways Green!🐸😀

12 minutes ago, KevjustKev said:

Reading through these comments they can go for a bit more. Bung it on here for £410? More?

If you're looking to sell could try an auction? If you're not in a rush could try at £410 and always reduce it in future if no bites 

Depends on condition 

38 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

Actually ‘Flying Scotsman’ should be British Railways Green!

Have you seen green gold? The colour is formed by alloying gold with trace amounts of silver and cadmium.

It was popular in jewellery during the Art Nouveau period (and imo looks rather stunning when done correctly).

As an example, the leaves in this piece are green gold.

image.thumb.jpeg.ac5a90c318e55adaeea294102d6c9ffe.jpeg

22 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Have you seen green gold? The colour is formed by alloying gold with trace amounts of silver and cadmium.

It was popular in jewellery during the Art Nouveau period (and imo looks rather stunning when done correctly).

I quite like that.

57 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Gold comes in many shades of gold. ‘Purple gold’ is a relatively recent variety where the gold is alloyed with Aluminium!
Strangely enough, down your neck of the woods, the Perth Mint produces the only ‘Green’ gold Sovereign which has all silver as the alloy. This is the 2005 proof, and reflects the fact that the silver came combined with the gold when mined, so in the old days (1850s) the Sydney mint initially left it in….

E1D2C9BA-9CDD-4639-AA5D-3D3E3F7B1C0A.jpeg

10 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

Correct, but not when running as 60103… Sad to say I used to be a steam engine enthusiast!  🤫

Nowt wrong with that lad!

I once ended up looking after 60103 in recent years whilst fireman disappeared off to answer mother natures call.

The green dragon were fully fired pointing at Network Rail metals with points set... tempting to go for a jolly! 

12 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

Yes, you make very good point. I would like to see the ‘yellow gold’ used for our sovereigns. Is that really ‘girlie pink’ on the edge, or the advertising departments failed attempt at depicting ‘red gold’? Let’s face it, if you want the true colour of gold it has to be a 1/4 oz Britannia or QB…..Actually ‘Flying Scotsman’ should be British Railways Green!🐸😀

Brunswick Green.

Why RM have chosen to represent her in a livery she stopped wearing during WWII (she were repainted to wartime matt black circa 1942) beats me.

And 4472 was not her first number either. Outshopped as 1472 which stayed until after British Empire Exhibition in 1925.

I prefer Brunswick Green and the big smoke deflectors add something and massively improve visibility for crew.

🚂