• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2023 Annual Sets

5 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

I am so sorry! Wow. That is truly awful. Looks more like the site of the world trade centre after 9/11 than a ‘proof’ coin. Outrageously bad. 

That coin is just the tip of the iceberg. At least it is numismatically interesting (NGC would grade that as an excess pressure mint error wouldn't they?). Half of the other coins are just bad in an unexciting way.

2 minutes ago, CazLikesCoins said:

I like seeing things as the glass half full. So you've got a bit more silver than you paid for with that coin :D 

Unfortunately not.

The "excess" metal comes from the coin blank, so there is no extra weight compared with a perfect coin.

Also, it's not silver, it's just the premium base proof set 😃

9 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

That coin is just the tip of the iceberg. At least it is numismatically interesting (NGC would grade that as an excess pressure mint error wouldn't they?). Half of the other coins are just bad in an unexciting way.

You’re probably right. I haven’t graded with NGC for a few years so not sure what their positions are on errors. Certainly excess pressure and you’ve probably lost some weight in the process as I expect some silver would have broken off. Not much, but it all counts. The big question here is relevant to quality control. This ain’t a circulating coin that flys out the door. This is a proof that is handled before being put into the capsule. Someone clearly doesn’t give a damn….

As for the excess pressure, I would expect to see some blurring on the reverse. That could make it a more than interesting coin…..

If you ever want to grade with PCGS let me know. Happy to help at cost. I’ve done it for other people on here. It’s not a business so I cannot handle volume, but a few is ok. I say this because the market for error coins with PCGS is a hell of a lot larger with them than NGC. Just look at Great Collections auctions. Crazy prices for PCGS. 

23 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Unfortunately not.

The "excess" metal comes from the coin blank, so there is no extra weight compared with a perfect coin.

Also, it's not silver, it's just the premium base proof set 😃

Not your day is it 😅 Hope RM have a better returns policy than Argos or they'll make you feel it's all your fault and it left the shop in good condition 🤣

41 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

You’re probably right. I haven’t graded with NGC for a few years so not sure what their positions are on errors. Certainly excess pressure and you’ve probably lost some weight in the process as I expect some silver would have broken off. Not much, but it all counts. The big question here is relevant to quality control. This ain’t a circulating coin that flys out the door. This is a proof that is handled before being put into the capsule. Someone clearly doesn’t give a damn….

As for the excess pressure, I would expect to see some blurring on the reverse. That could make it a more than interesting coin…..

If you ever want to grade with PCGS let me know. Happy to help at cost. I’ve done it for other people on here. It’s not a business so I cannot handle volume, but a few is ok. I say this because the market for error coins with PCGS is a hell of a lot larger with them than NGC. Just look at Great Collections auctions. Crazy prices for PCGS. 

If I were to grade it, I'd have to keep some of the c**p coins that would form the rest of the set so I'm not too sure at the moment.

How I'd transport it safely, without further bending the spikes, would be an interesting problem too. Fortunately these are only the base metal proofs, but even so, I'd expect them to be struck to an equally high standard.

17 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

How I'd transport it safely, without further bending the spikes, would be an interesting problem too. Fortunately these are only the base metal proofs, but even so, I'd expect them to be struck to an equally high standard.

You would just send it in the capsule. They don’t really insist on flips. It’s just expected. I’ve submitted loads in caps that I didn’t want to open!!!

Saying that, it’s a PCGS experience that I work with. You could ask Louise at Coins of the Realm or Gold Digger Dave re NGC if needed or preferred. Cheers.

12 hours ago, paulmerton said:

All three of my replacement premium proof sets are going back again. They are absolutely shocking - various dents, foggy smears, tiny hairs and other small objects struck into the coins, and this... 

That's pretty extraordinary - but there's a cheap and simple workaround. . .

£1.99 buys you a 2pc Diamond File Set on eBay. Problem solved! 😁

• 3 months later...

Got my 3rd premium proof set back and the quality and workmanship is still unacceptably poor. I hope you all agree?!

They're fully aware that there are issues with the sets they've been sending me, and these ones supposedly had an extra inspection prior to dispatch.

If this is deemed acceptable then I'm outta here.

image.thumb.png.92ac7cc10eae2c30f5657b65c7c2343f.png

image.thumb.png.0d6d9ed03f8902ef0c7cb63438164cff.png

image.thumb.png.340846c36d4ad88b862d7854ef47ed61.png

image.thumb.png.4d6acebca1670a4d1f6af419e83c69ee.png

image.thumb.png.9e26f86bd9f6b6e058fc523c61c7ce1a.png

13 hours ago, Petra said:

Are people getting any better joy by buying through a dealer etc.? Are the dealers able to filter out the c**p before selling on?😮🤔

It can help for sure, as it gives you another layer of QC. Things can still be damaged in post between dealer and recipient, so it's not a guarantee. Issue with a dealer is they don't have the same replacement options as RM, so if they're sold out then you're left with refund only.

If you're local to a dealer though it does give you the option to collect from them and inspect the coin(s) first yourself and then get them back home in a much safer way.

• 1 month later...
On 02/08/2023 at 19:14, Petra said:

Are people getting any better joy by buying through a dealer etc.? Are the dealers able to filter out the c**p before selling on?😮🤔

This is something I can do for people,  I can not guarantee how they will grade but I do have an option to pick out of stock.