• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

New Monarch Coins

dicker

There are a few posts here about the switch from HMQ to HMK, whether buying 2022’s will be a winner.

I think the thing to be looking out for at the time of the switch (PM or non-PM) will be RM screwups.

- Obv / Rev mismatches

- Date screwups (esp micro lettering on one pound coins)

- Leak of trial run / prototype into circulation

Whilst this is likely to be more prevalent on coins it is worth looking at notes too.

Not my circus, not my monkeys

21 minutes ago, dicker said:

There are a few posts here about the switch from HMQ to HMK, whether buying 2022’s will be a winner.

I think the thing to be looking out for at the time of the switch (PM or non-PM) will be RM screwups.

- Obv / Rev mismatches

Whilst this is likely to be more prevalent on coins it is worth looking at notes too.

Great thinking.

Bring it on!

😎

Chards

I have seen at least one coin on this forum which was a trial piece and “leaked” from the RM (seeming a simple trial piece).

I have seen other ones on eBay that may be but would need a thorough inspection.

With a whole scale change in coinage I think we can expect a few errors to turn up.

My guess is that with PM’s the first RM screwups will be with certificates still referring to HMQ when the coin is a proof HMK.

Not my circus, not my monkeys

17 minutes ago, dicker said:

I have seen at least one coin on this forum which was a trial piece and “leaked” from the RM (seeming a simple trial piece).

I have seen other ones on eBay that may be but would need a thorough inspection.

With a whole scale change in coinage I think we can expect a few errors to turn up.

My guess is that with PM’s the first RM screwups will be with certificates still referring to HMQ when the coin is a proof HMK.

That's another good business idea.

We need to start making a batch of RM Trial Pieces.

They would probably sell very well on the "Dark Web"

😎

Chards

No doubt the 2023 proof sovereigns will be very sought after,  they could be QEII as it’s only a couple of months away from the normal launch?   

@dicker Charles has waited so long to be on our currency, it would be hilarious we go cashless in the next year. 

The pound coin trial pieces (from 2015ish) are fairly easy to get hold of even though they shouldn't have escaped into public hands.

They were supplied to various companies like vending machine and parking meter makers so they could ensure their devices would work with the new 12-sided pound coin before it was released. The trial pieces remained the property of the mint and were supposed to be returned after use, but many mysteriously went missing when people realised they've probably quite valuable (£20+).

They are valuable enough for there to be plenty of fakes on the market now, sold as album fillers of course.

34 minutes ago, dicker said:

The one I reference was shown by @AndrewSL76.  I have not seen one similar.  

Thanks to @dicker for reminding me about this.

The trial piece that I still hold was examined by the mint. It is not one of the 2014-2016 trial pieces. It is believed to be a 10p bimetallic trial. I still have the coin and the letter from the Mint confirming this! 

The thread about that coin is here: 

14 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Thanks to @dicker for reminding me about this.

The trial piece that I still hold was examined by the mint. It is not one of the 2014-2016 trial pieces. It is believed to be a 10p bimetallic trial. I still have the coin and the letter from the Mint confirming this! 

The thread about that coin is here: 

That's pretty cool!

4 hours ago, dicker said:

- Obv / Rev mismatches

Funny I was already thinking this, the 2008 dateless 20p in mind.

2 hours ago, paulmerton said:

The pound coin trial pieces (from 2015ish) are fairly easy to get hold of even though they shouldn't have escaped into public hands.

They were supplied to various companies like vending machine and parking meter makers so they could ensure their devices would work with the new 12-sided pound coin before it was released. The trial pieces remained the property of the mint and were supposed to be returned after use, but many mysteriously went missing when people realised they've probably quite valuable (£20+).

They are valuable enough for there to be plenty of fakes on the market now, sold as album fillers of course.

Same thing happened with the Edward VIII threepences which escaped.

I was trying to remember whose trial piece that was when @dicker mentioned it.  Good to hear that you still have it, @AndrewSL76.  An interesting curiosity for any collection.

I agree that there might be switchover errors, but cannot think of anything obvious actually happening on the coins at similar moments in previous centuries.

The micro-lettering on the £1 coins is a good shout, however.  I haven't inspected a £1 coin closely since 2017/18 when there was the left milling vs right milling thing going on.  I have 2 or 3 lefties - one decent one that will stay, and one or two others that may get spent!

Edited by Stuntman
tagging people properly