• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Question on Grading

DrDave

I've read some articles and watched some youtube vids on the subject, but have trouble relating the theory to a particular coin.

I think that this coin was described as 'close to EF'. Is it?

What grade would you place this at, and why?

Thanks in advance

(p.s, i have a book coming later that was recommended on here yesterday, so that might help me too?)

602A7516.jpg

602A7518.jpg

13 minutes ago, DrDave said:

I've read some articles and watched some youtube vids on the subject, but have trouble relating the theory to a particular coin.

Thanks in advance

(p.s, i have a book coming later that was recommended on here yesterday, so that might help me too?)

602A7516.jpg

602A7518.jpg

The coin is quite worn so I would give it "Good Fine" (gF) or maybe "Very Fine" (VF) at best.  No way it is EF due to wear.

Not easy coins to grade by any stretch regarding the reverse only. The obverse is easy enough, that's Fine. Hair and bands are where you look on these coins, much of the hair detail has been smoothed out, the hair bands also have detailing in when in higher grades.

Best way to grade is find a photo of a Uncirculated example and then compare what's been lost - a lot on this one. It's still a good looking coin though, I have more than a few that look just like this.

This reverse is a pain to grade as it wears so well. The wear points are the harp, the faces and upper body of the lions. This goes a little further though, the leaves of the wreath are flattened too, so F - VF at the very most.

Edited by SidS

GF / AVF would be my take on it. Definitely not even close to EF.... I used to frequent regular coin auctions hosted by DNW who were very harsh with grading. The example in the OP would probably have been advertised as A/F. There is some subjectivity involved in grading coins but calling this one A/EF is a stretch !

I would expect an EF coin to be fully detailed but with rounded highlights.

Edited by TeaTime
Reasons

1 hour ago, DrDave said:

Thanks in advance

I always advise to provide as much information as you already have. In this case, that would include the name of the dealer or ebay seller, and preferably a link to their listing if applicable. That way more information gets shared, which helps everybody.

'close to EF'. Is it?

It depends on what you interpret EF as meaning.

If it stands for Extremely Fine, then No.

It is stands for Extremely F****d, then Yes, although it is sllighly better.

How does Fine (obv) / gd Fine (rev) sound?

😎

Chards

17 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

I always advise to provide as much information as you already have. In this case, that would include the name of the dealer or ebay seller, and preferably a link to their listing if applicable. That way more information gets shared, which helps everybody.

'close to EF'. Is it?

It depends on what you interpret EF as meaning.

If it stands for Extremely Fine, then No.

It is stands for Extremely F****d, then Yes, although it is sllighly better.

How does Fine (obv) / gd Fine (rev) sound?

😎

Complicated!

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Just now, James32 said:

Complicated!

Not al all, any Tom **** or Harry could have answered!

I know TSF will censor that, but the R.O.T.W. seems to be joining in:

‘Snowflake’ parents want York Dungeon’s **** Turpin ride renamed

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/snowflake-parents-want-****-turpin-ride-at-york-dungeon-renamed-85t9jm62t

Truth is stranger than fiction!

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

28 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Not al all, any Tom **** or Harry could have answered!

I know TSF will censor that, but the R.O.T.W. seems to be joining in:

‘Snowflake’ parents want York Dungeon’s **** Turpin ride renamed

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/snowflake-parents-want-****-turpin-ride-at-york-dungeon-renamed-85t9jm62t

Truth is stranger than fiction!

😎

I'm in disagreement unfortunately. 

The Richard Turpin ride.. will not appeal in the same way.

Edited by James32

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

1 minute ago, James32 said:

I'm in disagreement unfortunately. 

The Robert Turpin ride.. will not appeal in the same way.

Richard surely. Don't get me wrong, I've known a few Roberts who could easily have shortened their name to that... 😁

8 hours ago, DrDave said:

Thanks in advance

602A7516.jpg

602A7518.jpg

Imo gF.   Good fine, way off EF 

Hi Dave to answer the question the coin has had lots of circulation wear and has large nicks in the surface, and it has been “cleaned” 

this book is a good read and I’ve added a few patches of the descriptions. 

hope this helps. 

96EE30E2-48B2-44AC-AE27-35F2D1A29E75.jpeg

93E9AA91-3F25-4D6D-B0E8-614863DF24C7.jpeg

6BB9841B-434A-46F3-A7DC-5D16E925DC5B.jpeg

C20264E3-8D4D-414F-AE8E-35B699FD7277.jpeg

21E2D6AE-D052-4C76-8710-10E24FAE0F97.jpeg

ABC54B53-24B7-4363-BAC8-02D03A955A70.jpeg

C975B231-2692-4D32-B579-4C87506DAC69.jpeg

82D7A909-D21A-4933-8D96-037837C4A318.jpeg

2D766828-9446-4DB5-A405-5FB526C54832.jpeg

610A7AA7-16CC-43DD-9428-CDA7637A3861.jpeg

3 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Hi Dave to answer the question the coin has had lots of circulation wear and has large nicks in the surface, and it has been “cleaned” 

this book is a good read and I’ve added a few patches of the descriptions. 

hope this helps. 

96EE30E2-48B2-44AC-AE27-35F2D1A29E75.jpeg

93E9AA91-3F25-4D6D-B0E8-614863DF24C7.jpeg

6BB9841B-434A-46F3-A7DC-5D16E925DC5B.jpeg

C20264E3-8D4D-414F-AE8E-35B699FD7277.jpeg

21E2D6AE-D052-4C76-8710-10E24FAE0F97.jpeg

ABC54B53-24B7-4363-BAC8-02D03A955A70.jpeg

C975B231-2692-4D32-B579-4C87506DAC69.jpeg

82D7A909-D21A-4933-8D96-037837C4A318.jpeg

2D766828-9446-4DB5-A405-5FB526C54832.jpeg

610A7AA7-16CC-43DD-9428-CDA7637A3861.jpeg

Thats great, thank you.

I've actually ordered that book and it was supposed to arrive today(i needn't have embarressed myself with another newbie question!)

It looks like just the thing i need.

Thanks for the pages for me to read while i wait for mine to arrive

1 minute ago, DrDave said:

Thats great, thank you.

I've actually ordered that book and it was supposed to arrive today(i needn't have embarressed myself with another newbie question!)

It looks like just the thing i need.

Thanks for the pages for me to read while i wait for mine to arrive

Dave never stop asking questions no one knows it all mate, you could live 10 lifetimes and still not know everything about coins.  

2 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Dave never stop asking questions no one knows it all mate, you could live 10 lifetimes and still not know everything about coins.  

With so many degrees of wear, i'm sure that its a subjective thing and people will always have a differing opinion. 

I'm quite black and white in what i do, and struggle with the grey areas!😂

Thanks to everybody for thier input.

I've received my Grading book today and compared it with your comments.

My opinion (now) is that the obverse is F, and the reverse is GF (i've scrolled back through the comments after i've written this and luckily it matches the general concensus.

Thanks again