• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Question re a young head half crown

matt1r

Just wandering if anyone knows why this half crown appears to have a flat spot on the lower left cross of the shield. Would it be put down to a weak strike?

The coin appears otherwise a/unc and for it to be wear, it does not seem consistent with the rest of the shield and coin.

Thanks

65F06B69-61E1-4C53-B6C3-CFAC3153C88F.png

Edited by matt1r

1 minute ago, matt1r said:

Thanks guys the seller did mention it was an old reverse die (1874-80) used with a new obverse die (1880-87) so would make sense.

That's the fella , much as I love a perfect coin do like an interesting strike.

If you were to place a new coin on a flat surface, such as a table, and slide it across it then it's going to get scratched on the highest point of the coin.

Could be what we're seeing here.....?

7 minutes ago, Booky586 said:

If you were to place a new coin on a flat surface, such as a table, and slide it across it then it's going to get scratched on the highest point of the coin.

Could be what we're seeing here.....?

This is what I was trying to work out but it wouldn’t make sense to wear on just that corner and to that extent, surely there would be more consistent wear on other parts of the coin which there’s not. A worn out old die seems the most plausible answer to me.

I also think it's a weak strike, rather than wear.  It also seems to be weak on the Lions' faces in the bottom right quadrant of the shield. 

Weak strikes were relatively common on the shields of William IV half crowns.  See also the strike on the shield of the (rare) 1841 Victoria Young Head half crown - I've never seen one with a full strike.

The coin looks lovely, by the way.

1 hour ago, Dakaras said:

That's the fella , much as I love a perfect coin do like an interesting strike.

In that case, you should find plenty of interesting ones this summer. Which will you find most interesting:

The RMT National Rail Strike

The Barristers Strike

London Underground

BA British Airways

Interface in Craigavon

Doctors

?

😎

Chards

It looks like the area in question has been flattened either during or post production. Imagine dropping something like a ball-bearing on to the coin and you would expect to see damage very similar to what is showing. Alternatively a bit of swarf on the die could be the cause.

I can't see a weak strike producing such a localised defect and would expect it to show over more of the coin.. 

Lots of opinions, I’m not looking to grade the half crowns just have nice examples of each year, I don’t think this area detracts too much from the coin overall. The photos are exaggerated too being so zoomed in, having the coin in hand should be much less noticeable. I think the price point is good on this too.

Will get some pictures up later.

Edited by matt1r

On 27/06/2022 at 19:39, matt1r said:

Just wandering if anyone knows why this half crown appears to have a flat spot on the lower left cross of the shield. Would it be put down to a weak strike?

The coin appears otherwise a/unc and for it to be wear, it does not seem consistent with the rest of the shield and coin.

Thanks

65F06B69-61E1-4C53-B6C3-CFAC3153C88F.png

Worn looking areas are actually very common on many if not most coins of the period. It may not be as noticeable on lower grade specimens, where it is hard to distinguish weak striking with wear.

Yours is almost certainly weak striking.

😎

Chards

4 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Worn looking areas are actually very common on many if not most coins of the period. It may not be as noticeable on lower grade specimens, where it is hard to distinguish weak striking with wear.

Yours is almost certainly weak striking.

😎

Yea as I say the rest of the coin seems near unc, I decided to buy it anyway so will post pictures when in hand 🙂

The phrase 'weak striking' is essentially a term to describe either when a die is getting near the end of it's life and detail starts to be lost, due to a decrease in the pressure used whilst striking, or general die wear. When detail has been lost to only a small defined area it is more probable that either the die has been comprised with foreign material or the damage is post-production. (Or even a hollow planchet).

I suspect a seller would term it a weak strike whilst the buyer would call it damage 😁 C'est la vie.