• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Current value of a pf70 'annual set' £5 gold coin jubilee?? And it's potential for future

Paul

I've been offered this coin for £4,100

the key £5 gold coin from this year's annual year set, mintage just 100

Pros

Mintagex100

The unique jubilee design but with the Jody Clark portrait, not the larger mintage coronation horse

graded 70

Annual sets most likely in strong hands already given the RRP at launch

Unique year, longest reigning monarch etc

Historical significance 

I'm tempted but unsure. Can find any sales already.

Is this a modern classic of the future?  I feel it may do once QEII is no longer with us

The current market has certainly well softened the past six months 

I would be looking to be holding this for over ten years plus, a retirement banker coin if you like 

Am I better putting nearly £5k into something better??? Ie buy the current crypto dip 

Any opinions or feelings or advice I would love to hear

Edited by Paul

34 minutes ago, Paul said:

I've been offered this coin for £4,100

the key £5 gold coin from this year's annual year set, mintage just 100

Pros

Mintagex100

The unique jubilee design but with the Jody Clark portrait, not the larger mintage coronation horse

graded 70

Annual sets most likely in strong hands already given the RRP at launch

Unique year, longest reigning monarch etc

Historical significance 

I'm tempted but unsure. Can find any sales already.

Is this a modern classic of the future?  I feel it may do once QEII is no longer with us

The current market has certainly well softened the past six months 

I would be looking to be holding this for over ten years plus, a retirement banker coin if you like 

Am I better putting nearly £5k into something better??? Ie buy the current crypto dip 

Any opinions or feelings or advice I would love to hear

How much does the one coin owe you right now?

If you have near doubled your investment already, then maybe take that profit and put into something else you believe in going forward ( just the profit) you're initial investment goes straight into a nice piece of bullion gold.

What has this achieved? You have more gold than you started with and a separate investment in something else, let's use bitcoin or etherum for example...you only need them to approach an all time high once more to have doubled your holdings, surely crypto has one more cycle in it minimum?! ( and hopefully your piece of bullion gold is ticking along nicely aswell)

None of this is financial advice, but the fact your asking the question means your gut is suggesting an expansion of assets. Absolute worst case scenario, both gold and crypto tanks?? Highly unlikely but even so your £5 coin won't be worth anything either.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

3 minutes ago, James32 said:

How much does the one coin owe you right now?

If you have near doubled your investment already, then maybe take that profit and put into something else you believe in going forward ( just the profit) you're initial investment goes straight into a nice piece of bullion gold.

What has this achieved? You have more gold than you started with and a separate investment in something else, let's use bitcoin or etherum for example...you only need them to approach an all time high once more to have doubled your holdings, surely crypto has one more cycle in it minimum?! ( and hopefully your piece of bullion gold is ticking along nicely aswell)

None of this is financial advice, but the fact your asking the question means your gut is suggesting an expansion of assets. Absolute worst case scenario, both gold and crypto tanks?? Highly unlikely but even so your £5 coin won't be worth anything either.

Sorry James,I'm looking to buy it,I've been offered it. I don't have it but considering to buy it 

1 minute ago, Paul said:

Sorry James,I'm looking to buy it,I've been offered it. I don't have it but considering to buy it 

Sorry Paul 🤣 I missed the most important word in the first line! Probably also just made an assumption you had it ( as you have most of the great ones😁)

My humble opinion is to still take my advice lol, the only difference is you Don't need to sell the coin.

7 minutes ago, Paul said:

Just doing the mental gymnastics if this would be a worthy investment to do ok long term or if nearly £5k would be better into something else

Suppose it boils down to your expectations of ok ( any future profits are good, you wont go bust making a small profit 😃) but let's say it doubles in 5 years, the real question is do you whole heartedly believe crypto ( for arguments sake bitcoin) will take 5 years to rebound to £50k ? It come down to X times 2 with the coin or X times 5 with crypto 🤔 

Really is no correct/definitive answer but the fact you are already doing what your doing and now looking to increase holdings, you will do ok in whatever you choose, you have already made ( going by some recent bank box pics) some very smart decisions, and I'd expect the next to follow suit..Best of luck with whatever direction you go in.

3 minutes ago, James32 said:

Suppose it boils down to your expectations of ok ( any future profits are good, you wont go bust making a small profit 😃) but let's say it doubles in 5 years, the real question is do you whole heartedly believe crypto ( for arguments sake bitcoin) will take 5 years to rebound to £50k ? It come down to X times 2 with the coin or X times 5 with crypto 🤔 

Really is no correct/definitive answer but the fact you are already doing what your doing and now looking to increase holdings, you will do ok in whatever you choose, you have already made ( going by some recent bank box pics) some very smart decisions, and I'd expect the next to follow suit..Best of luck with whatever direction you go in.

Many thanks James, I got a nice PM from a good member here showing me a Facebook sale for the same coin in 70 that went for £3k that sold and went quick. 

I'm not tied or any given path. Just wish to convert my devaluing fiat debt token into something that'll hopefully hold.their own or go up. Just wish to try and choose the right thing, as we all do ! 

2 minutes ago, Paul said:

Many thanks James, I got a nice PM from a good member here showing me a Facebook sale for the same coin in 70 that went for £3k that sold and went quick. 

I'm not tied or any given path. Just wish to convert my devaluing fiat debt token into something that'll hopefully hold.their own or go up. Just wish to try and choose the right thing, as we all do ! 

I think the main thing to keep in mind is that whilst cash is dying, it will still remain king for a short period of time ( buyers market) inflation whilst unfortunate and will cause many to crumble, will throw up opportunities that normally wouldn't arise so cheaply and as long as you pick something "you" truly believe in then it will hopefully take care of itself. 

Hi Paul

Good poser of a question for a Sunday.

I agree with your analysis but am not sure if it will be a long term winner. 

My own view on Crypto is that it’s going down much further.

James is probably right - the economy is in a mess and I suspect that we may see other coins coming to the market over the next couple of years that may well be more attractive in the long term.

I was reading an article recently (I forget but may have been on the Tyrant collection, where the purchaser managed to acquire the best and rarest coins after the 2008 financial meltdown when people were liquidating PM’s to keep their businesses running and mortgages paid).

I have watched a couple of auctions recently where I have seen what I consider unusual coins coming to the market - more so than before (E.g Narrow Shield Sov, Ansell at a recent COTR auction).   May be worth waiting?

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

I have been thinking about it and as the economy worsens, it might be an opportunity to sell bullion and use the proceeds to buy numismatic.  But watch the prices of the numismatic coins.

Not my circus, not my monkeys

3 minutes ago, dicker said:

I have been thinking about it and as the economy worsens, it might be an opportunity to sell bullion and use the proceeds to buy numismatic.  But watch the prices of the numismatic coins.

Timescales, what I'd have no intention of selling in next ten years plus what's easily available today in year of issue, won't be in a decade. If spot is £5k then ???  What does that make everything else ......... ??? Jeez the stress of having a little depreciating money, who'd have thought it would be so stressful lol :) 

54 minutes ago, dicker said:

Due to the on going squeeze on disposable incomes/discretionary spending, personally I would be avoiding numismatics and concentrating on low premium CGT free bullion. Increases in mining costs should ensure bullion is a better hedge against stagflation over the coming years than numismatics. Just my 2 cents.

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

Hi, @Paul.

My knowledge in graded coins it is minimal, so I can not give you any advice in your dilemma.

But if I should think to invest £4100 now for next ten years, I would put my money in a bundle of 10 x gold sovereign 2022 and I still have £365 to invest in crypto. I would choose a very undervalued one, let's say Dogecoin with a ridiculous value today. Those £365 should be enough to buy around 77700 dogecoins and I would wait to see what is happening in ten years.

These ten sovereigns for sure will do well in ten years and the crypto bought today maybe will perform well, or maybe not. It is a risk for low money.

Well, a little update after ive thought and slept on things, ive done some messages/offers back and forth and agreed on deal for £3,950 for it (seller is actually a member on here ! ) also saw there was another one on eBay and punted an offer in a bit below list and got that accepted for £3,795

Mean average paid for two £3872 each

From Royal Mint debt free to £7, 745 spent on gold & now beans on toasts for another six months in less than a week :( 

hey ho the jolly up and down topsy turvy life of a stacker 

Lets hope this is a secret sleeper to do well in years to come :) 

8 minutes ago, Paul said:

Well, a little update after ive thought and slept on things, ive done some messages/offers back and forth and agreed on deal for £3,950 for it (seller is actually a member on here ! ) also saw there was another one on eBay and punted an offer in a bit below list and got that accepted for £3,795

Mean average paid for two £3872 each

From Royal Mint debt free to £7, 745 spent on gold & now beans on toasts for another six months in less than a week :( 

hey ho the jolly up and down topsy turvy life of a stacker 

Lets hope this is a secret sleeper to do well in years to come :) 

Love it 😂

How the other half live! 😂 Including beans on toast!

I feel your pain Paul, having just wrangled 5 x 2021 Silver Britannias from forum members to complete my tube of them - now, do I try and sell on the 'Bay? and eat like a King or break out the beans on toast for a few more months and keep them? 🤔

😁

1 minute ago, Scootermuppet said:

How the other half live! 😂 Including beans on toast!

I feel your pain Paul, having just wrangled 5 x 2021 Silver Britannias from forum members to complete my tube of them - now, do I try and sell on the 'Bay? and eat like a King or break out the beans on toast for a few more months and keep them? 🤔

😁

that was me when i first started out ! as i've said before i'm not a millionaire or anywhere close to it  

your first tube is your first victory, next it will be tube two, next you find you've got x100oz 

then you realise you can sell some at £5 profit from a certain coin and with the profit gets you a few free oz for your stack

from x100oz then becomes, x150oz then x200oz soon you are at monster box and from not trying too hard at all you've got x500 and a five figure little rainy day nest egg 

I was joking a little Paul, still seems a looooong way off to me, but there again I am at the start of the journey... and I do have a couple of small-ish Yellow coins too 😏 (actually somewhat more Rose coloured, what with that pesky copper content!)

Being self-employed means I have adopted the 'Pay yourself first' mentality - so when I get paid for a job, I have been converting as much as possible of the money I would pay myself in to Collectable coins & Silver or Gold, after living expenses... & beans 🤭 - I really should sit down and add it all up, probably have more value than I think, as I'm lucky enough to have some nice examples of Kew Gardens 50p's including a BUNC version from an annual set and a full annual set from 2009 too plus some NIFC ones that are fairly rare 🤔

Don't really have the storage space for a lot of silver, but filling a tube was a good way to start IMHO, even if I bought during the higher price ranges, means I have accumulated more than I would have done trying to put away the equivalent cash, and have enjoyed doing it! Postage costs do eat in to it for small amounts of coins, but a necessary evil if there's only enough for 2 or 3 or 5 in the kitty... still, the thought of me saving around £600 would have been unthinkable a few years ago, so quite chuffed that I've managed it. 

End of this month should see 3 invoices being paid which I'm hoping will yield enough (potentially) for a 1oz gold coin! - But that's been a topic of discussion on my post in the gold section (looks like some Sovereigns are winning at the minute 🙂

Apologies for hijacking your thread, but it's nice to be able to chat to other forum members and realise that I could be where they are in a few years with a bit of effort. 👍

Cheers
Bob

1 hour ago, Scootermuppet said:

I was joking a little Paul, still seems a looooong way off to me, but there again I am at the start of the journey... and I do have a couple of small-ish Yellow coins too 😏 (actually somewhat more Rose coloured, what with that pesky copper content!)

Being self-employed means I have adopted the 'Pay yourself first' mentality - so when I get paid for a job, I have been converting as much as possible of the money I would pay myself in to Collectable coins & Silver or Gold, after living expenses... & beans 🤭 - I really should sit down and add it all up, probably have more value than I think, as I'm lucky enough to have some nice examples of Kew Gardens 50p's including a BUNC version from an annual set and a full annual set from 2009 too plus some NIFC ones that are fairly rare 🤔

Don't really have the storage space for a lot of silver, but filling a tube was a good way to start IMHO, even if I bought during the higher price ranges, means I have accumulated more than I would have done trying to put away the equivalent cash, and have enjoyed doing it! Postage costs do eat in to it for small amounts of coins, but a necessary evil if there's only enough for 2 or 3 or 5 in the kitty... still, the thought of me saving around £600 would have been unthinkable a few years ago, so quite chuffed that I've managed it. 

End of this month should see 3 invoices being paid which I'm hoping will yield enough (potentially) for a 1oz gold coin! - But that's been a topic of discussion on my post in the gold section (looks like some Sovereigns are winning at the minute 🙂

Apologies for hijacking your thread, but it's nice to be able to chat to other forum members and realise that I could be where they are in a few years with a bit of effort. 👍

Cheers
Bob

We all start somewhere! We also all have different circumstances. For some of us having a sovereign drop through the letter box is as good as a one ounce Britannia (well I think so). If we could go back in time and do things differently we would all be millionaires (Rodney).😁

Well, ive got them both in hand now, safe & sound. Dropped of at safe deposit box yesterday - see you again in retirement 

Two - Platinum Jubilee £5 gold crowns only issued in the "2022 annual set" with the Jodie Clark portrait

Mintage of just 100 and both in PF70. Beautiful weighty pieces in hand 

"honi soit qui mal y pense"  spoken by the medieval ruling class in England, meaning "shamed be whoever thinks ill of it", usually translated as "shame on anyone who thinks evil of it" It is the motto of the British chivalric Order of the Garter, the highest of all British knighthoods

Hopefully will be an in demand coin in years to come 

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

IMG_20220622_144920.jpg

IMG_20220622_144911.jpg

IMG_20220622_144859.jpg

15 minutes ago, Paul said:

Well, ive got them both in hand now, safe & sound. Dropped of at safe deposit box yesterday - see you again in retirement 

Two - Platinum Jubilee £5 gold crowns only issued in the "2022 annual set" with the Jodie Clark portrait

Mintage of just 100 and both in PF70. Beautiful weighty pieces in hand 

"honi soit qui mal y pense"  spoken by the medieval ruling class in England, meaning "shamed be whoever thinks ill of it", usually translated as "shame on anyone who thinks evil of it" It is the motto of the British chivalric Order of the Garter, the highest of all British knighthoods

Hopefully will be an in demand coin in years to come 

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

IMG_20220622_144920.jpg

IMG_20220622_144911.jpg

IMG_20220622_144859.jpg

Beautiful