• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal mint

Robda1986

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Nothing new here - marketing gurus - set a high price to make people believe the item is special and extra valuable and people will flock to buy.
Offer it too cheap and people will not think it's worth much so won't buy - works every time.

With that markup it's almost worth pumping out sets in a snazzy little case especially given its only Bullion 

9 hours ago, Robda1986 said:

Anyone else noticed the mint taking the royal piss with their premiums lately 3 sov set all Bullion 1800 that's 500 per sov and a box at 300 

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/ranges/historic-coins/historic-sets/Her-Majesty-The-Queens-Jubilee-Sovereign-Set/

As others have already said, this is nothing new. Perhaps you only just noticed, but I / we published information about their pricing of secondary market "historic" coins, up to about 20 years ago.

https://goldsovereigns.co.uk/wealthwarning.html

At one point they threatened to sue us for defamation because we mentioned their "rip-off" prices. Their solicitors wrongly, but presumably deliberately nd dishonestly stated that "rip-off" implied dishonesty. It does not. Needless to say, they did not proceed with their threatened action, because it was unfounded, without merit, and they would have lost the case, and had to pay our sustantial legal costs. The judgment in our favour would have served to confirm our position, and probably have caused permanent harm to the Royal Mint's reputation.

Somewhere we have a web page with more detail about the case, but I could nnot quickly find it as it is on one of our "historic" heritage sites, which we no longer actively maintain.

😎

I just found another of our old pages, this one from 2001, listing some Royal Mint sub-optimal practices:

https://24carat.co.uk/frame.php?url=royalmintcoinmistakes.html

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

As others have already said, this is nothing new. Perhaps you only just noticed, but I / we published information about their pricing of secondary market "historic" coins, up to about 20 years ago.

https://goldsovereigns.co.uk/wealthwarning.html

At one point they threatened to sue us for defamation because we mentioned their "rip-off" prices. Their solicitors wrongly, but presumably deliberately nd dishonestly stated that "rip-off" implied dishonesty. It does not. Needless to say, they did not proceed with their threatened action, because it was unfounded, without merit, and they would have lost the case, and had to pay our sustantial legal costs. The judgment in our favour would have served to confirm our position, and probably have caused permanent harm to the Royal Mint's reputation.

Somewhere we have a web page with more detail about the case, but I could nnot quickly find it as it is on one of our "historic" heritage sites, which we no longer actively maintain.

😎

I just found another of our old pages, this one from 2001, listing some Royal Mint sub-optimal practices:

https://24carat.co.uk/frame.php?url=royalmintcoinmistakes.html

Have they disadvantaged you in a business sense after your legal wrangle, by not letting you pre order or reducing allocation etc?

Spoke to a lady on your team yesterday, super helpful, efficient and professional, it spoke volumes.

18 minutes ago, Griffo said:

Have they disadvantaged you in a business sense after your legal wrangle, by not letting you pre order or reducing allocation etc?

Spoke to a lady on your team yesterday, super helpful, efficient and professional, it spoke volumes.

Yes, I believe so.

This is a possible anti-competitive practice, and could be illegal. As a government owned organisation, they may have some protection against legal actions. 

I'm happy to hear of your good experience with us.

🙂

Chards

1 hour ago, Griffo said:

Sometimes doing the right thing is expensive, it's good to hear you have the courage of your convictions, I believe when you do the right thing, other good things come your way :)

Yes, on both points.

Sometimes the long term payback seems a little slow, though.🙂

Chards

21 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

The difference in colour of the 3 coins is interesting though.

I believe there is a separate issue here other than the all copper alloy we all dislike. The RM has for many years depicted its sovereigns as extra-ordinarily 'Pink' in all its advertising/brochures/online etc. In fact It is so artificial in colour as to be embarrassing! Surely the RM can produce an image that's more accurate in colour. None of my sovereigns look this way, unless I'm going colour blind! Of course when compared side by side with an older sovereign it looks terrible'

I remember the days when men were men, and sovereigns actually looked 'golden' not  'girly pink' representations.😄