• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1937 Coronation Crown Opinions Please

Arganto

Hello!

I have this 1937 Crown and the more I look at it the more it looks kind of proof-like to me. There is wear to the high points but taking that into account the design seems to be more defined and almost frosty in comparison to others I've seen. The fields have a nice shiny lustre too although far from perfect. Unfortunately it's the only one I have so can't compare two side by side, I have however compared it to a few lovely condition half crowns I have. The reverse design has a definite contrast to the fields on the crown whereas with the halves the fields and design look to be the same in colour/shine.

My experience with old coins is growing gradually but I am comparatively clueless, so if those with the knowledge take one look and giggle I won't be offended 😁

Thoughts?

IMG_20211122_213352663.jpg

IMG_20211122_213410155.jpg

IMG_20211122_213420005.jpg

IMG_20211122_213428367.jpg

IMG_20211122_213439371.jpg

Hi, Liam,

I am looking at your coin from one hour and I am almost sure that it is a proof one.

I've tried to compare with another pictures from internet and the best one I could find is this one:

https://www.gbclassiccoins.co.uk/shop/crowns/1937-george-vi-coronation-silver-proof-crown/.

4 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

D293CCF5-5E7D-406D-90E3-22BA6F746978.jpeg

79D1EA68-35B4-4A9E-BEDB-A8085AAB4430.jpeg

That's very helpful Rich, thank you. The obverse on yours seems more proof struck in colour but I can see where the detail in the strike is similar to mine. The reverse looks spot on, although yours has survived with a bit more detail I think 😁

When I get back later I'll take some better photos of mine and put them up.

This is excellent chaps 👌🏻

28 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

I'm not convinced that it's a proof, the strike doesn't look sharp enough to me.

The toning, especially on the obverse, looks a little bright and a little flat.  Might it have been dipped?
(It's still a nice coin...)

I appreciate the input either way! I can't attest to the history or treatment of the coin as I've only owned it since September. It doesn't look cleaned or dipped to my untrained eye but it may well have been at some point in it's past. It's a keeper and not something I'll be selling, I picked it up in a tiny coin shop (for a good price) run by a very helpful and kind old gent whilst on holiday so it's something of a memento of the time away.

If it is a proof issue it would be nice to know, especially given the super low mintage of that issue.

I'll take some better photos this afternoon and post them up 👍🏻

2 minutes ago, Liam84 said:

I appreciate the input either way! I can't attest to the history or treatment of the coin as I've only owned it since September. It doesn't look cleaned or dipped to my untrained eye but it may well have been at some point in it's past. It's a keeper and not something I'll be selling, I picked it up in a tiny coin shop (for a good price) run by a very helpful and kind old gent whilst on holiday so it's something of a memento of the time away.

If it is a proof issue it would be nice to know, especially given the super low mintage of that issue.

I'll take some better photos this afternoon and post them up 👍🏻

I think you are on to a win win either way; you either have a proof or a very nice non-proof. It’s a tough call and if you want a nice comparison go and have a look at the 1935 rocking horse crown in which you have the proof, specimen silver and circulation; some of the non-proof coins look border on proof so it’s not usual to see fantastic strikes on these crowns 

Hello again!

I've had a good look at the coin in natural light and taken two photos using that natural light. The photos are extremely unflattering but show up much more on the surface of the coin...it does indeed look like it's had a cleaning 👀 When I bought the coin it was viewed under low lighting and I pretty much put it away in a coin book when home without really studying it 🤣. Not a big deal as it was low priced (maybe for a reason 🤪) and is still a nice memento. It's interesting that under warm room lighting it has the features of a proof strike, especially on the reverse, but under harsh clear natural light the appearance is quite different.

What do you think?

IMG_20211124_093059220.jpg

IMG_20211124_093248210.jpg

Liam, you make me laugh, my friend!

In my opinion is happening with you this scenario:

You have met a beautiful young lady, you spent time with her, been in touch for a while, you know... Restaurant, walking in the rain, laughs, theatre, concerts... You are in love...

In your imagination all hopes are raised that the young lady is a virgin and untouched by another man.... Until the inevitable happens and you discover that all your dreams fall apart: the woman was not untouched.

Liam, she is still beautiful and charming, nothing has changed. It is only about you and how are your feelings. If you can love her, stay with her, if your disappointment is too deep, leave her. But remember, she was touched before meeting you and this lady never told you she is virgin, was only in your hopes and imagination.

The same is with your coin. Another man had it in his pocket in touch with two sovereigns and a half crown 84 years ago, what you can do? If you love it, keep it, if not, leave it. I would keep it, it is still beautiful. 😊🤗

Kindest regards,

Stefan.

24 minutes ago, stefffana said:

Liam, you make me laugh, my friend!

In my opinion is happening with you this scenario:

You have met a beautiful young lady, you spent time with her, been in touch for a while, you know... Restaurant, walking in the rain, laughs, theatre, concerts... You are in love...

In your imagination all hopes are raised that the young lady is a virgin and untouched by another man.... Until the inevitable happens and you discover that all your dreams fall apart: the woman was not untouched.

Liam, she is still beautiful and charming, nothing has changed. It is only about you and how are your feelings. If you can love her, stay with her, if your disappointment is too deep, leave her. But remember, she was touched before meeting you and this lady never told you she is virgin, was only in your hopes and imagination.

The same is with your coin. Another man had it in his pocket in touch with two sovereigns and a half crown 84 years ago, what you can do? If you love it, keep it, if not, leave it. I would keep it, it is still beautiful. 😊🤗

Kindest regards,

Stefan.

Wooo that was deep! A point very well made though 😁 

I assume you belong to the guild of bards and poets? 🤗

12 minutes ago, Liam84 said:

No, but probably I am a dreamer. I love to imagine stories or fair tales behind a coin. Any old coin has a story, seen people, travelled a lot in a long life. Was used, exchanged thousands of times for essentials, food, drinks, guilty pleasures, lost or stolen several times, been in a silver purse or a dirty pockets, seen happiness and sadness.

In your thoughts, who can tell us more stories: a sixpence coin, or a sovereign?

3 minutes ago, Liam84 said:

I think this is why I tend to be drawn to coins that have a bit of life to them. Don't get me wrong I like to appreciate the detail in the designs but a 70 in a slab is not the same as something nice with a bit of wear that shows it's gotten about a bit 😁 

Hallelujah!😊

10 hours ago, Liam84 said:

@stefffana - much respect.  Love your analogy!

He may not belong to the guild of bards and poets, but I sort-of-do.  I won the UK Allstars Poetry Slam in 2012 😀

@Liam84 - the coin is still lovely, even if (to quote Madonna) it may not have been touched for the very first time...

• 1 month later...