• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Advice on condition of 2022 full sovereign

James32

Hi and thanks in advance for your time😁

Looking for advice on condition of my sov and should I send back or am I expecting too much ( absolutely no experience in proofs) 

Pics below and even the way it arrived is shocking , capsule fully open and a rattle from the box ( which was a loose sovereign lol) sorry for the amount of pics but trying to get my point across that to the naked eye it looks ok-ish but under magnification it's a different story. Really appreciate someone checking theirs to see if they have scratches.

20211119_120759.jpg

20211119_133510.jpg

20211119_134211.jpg

20211119_134239.jpg

20211119_134251.jpg

20211119_134443.jpg

20211119_134737.jpg

20211119_181947.jpg

20211119_182015.jpg

20211119_182158.jpg

20211119_182215.jpg

20211119_182217.jpg

20211119_182304.jpg

20211119_182355.jpg

20211119_182417.jpg

20211119_182617.jpg

20211119_182652.jpg

20211119_183130.jpg

20211119_183216.jpg

20211119_183223.jpg

Screenshot_20211119-184333_Photos.jpg

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Most of the images make the coin look really clean but the high magnification shots are the ones that seem to show issues. I have used high magnification on my proofs before and not seen marks like the ones in your image. If you are confident the marks are on the coins and not the lens then I’d check with a loupe. Graders generally use the naked eye and a x5 magnification for grading and if they can be seen then that could impact on the grading.

The other issue is getting a return from the RM as they never guarantee a coin will be a 70 and if the issue is only present at high magnification they may not take it back. My 2022 sovereign is due on so will check mine to see if I can see anything which is similar 

I’d see what other say but if I checked through a loupe and could see scratches I’d likely return it if possible  

Just now, Simmoleon said:

Most of the images make the coin look really clean but the high magnification shots are the ones that seem to show issues. I have used high magnification on my proofs before and not seen marks like the ones in your image. If you are confident the marks are on the coins and not the lens then I’d check with a loupe. Graders generally use the naked eye and a x5 magnification for grading and if they can be seen then that could impact on the grading.

The other issue is getting a return from the RM as they never guarantee a coin will be a 70 and if the issue is only present at high magnification they may not take it back. My 2022 sovereign is due on so will check mine to see if I can see anything which is similar 

I’d see what other say but if I checked through a loupe and could see scratches I’d likely return it if possible  

Thanks for the advice, 

Funny thing is.... I would likely not have checked under magnification at all only it arrived open and rattling.

Kind of feel like because of how it arrived ,I went looking for problems and found some if that makes sense.

I would be returning it for a replacement if it arrived like that.

Last thing to say is that the cotton gloves are not the best to be handling proof coins, you should get some powder less latex or professional coin glove/finger covers. 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Makes perfect sense as I have been in the same boat myself and once you use magnification you find problems or see things you’ve never seen especially at x20 or x40+ 

This is what NGC say:

NGC defines a Mint State or Proof 70 coin as having no post-production imperfections at 5x magnification. Grading is a team effort, with at least two professional numismatists examining every coin. 

So if a coin is looking ok at x5 then it will likely do ok-ish. I’d check through a loupe if you have one and see if anything is obvious and visible 

13 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

Last thing to say is that the cotton gloves are not the best to be handling proof coins, you should get some powder less latex or professional coin glove/finger covers. 

Thanks for the advice , especially on the gloves ( didn't know other than certainly dont use bare hands)

14 minutes ago, Simmoleon said:

Makes perfect sense as I have been in the same boat myself and once you use magnification you find problems or see things you’ve never seen especially at x20 or x40+ 

This is what NGC say:

NGC defines a Mint State or Proof 70 coin as having no post-production imperfections at 5x magnification. Grading is a team effort, with at least two professional numismatists examining every coin. 

So if a coin is looking ok at x5 then it will likely do ok-ish. I’d check through a loupe if you have one and see if anything is obvious and visible 

Yeah the magnifying glass I'm using has a 3x and a 30x supposedly.

It was the 3x that I noticed the scratch in certain angles/light ( but not enough to photograph) which made me check with the 30x and more scratches appeared.

Any recommendations on a loop?? But its certainly looking like a return ( which is even more problematic) as my account is showing three × half sovereigns lol. When I ordered 1x full and 1x half.

The small tiny hairline marks/ scratches can come from the cotton gloves this however im sure is from the capsule smashing into it.

there's two near her nose as well :( all these are plain to see with the naked eye.

if you wasn't grading and you really really had to look to see the marks under a loop id keep it.

but there's alot there you can just see so id send it back :( but what will you get in return.

20211119_182304.jpg.c33b69e340a66d176cc60fc499f89868.jpg

29 minutes ago, blackadder said:

The small tiny hairline marks/ scratches can come from the cotton gloves this however im sure is from the capsule smashing into it.

there's two near her nose as well :( all these are plain to see with the naked eye.

if you wasn't grading and you really really had to look to see the marks under a loop id keep it.

but there's alot there you can just see so id send it back :( but what will you get in return.

20211119_182304.jpg.c33b69e340a66d176cc60fc499f89868.jpg

Appreciate the advice, 

Yeah that's the conundrum as I may just end up with someone else's return 🤣

A sort of rippling effect on the fields is common and doesn't effect grading in my experience. Any kind of scratch, abrasion etc is another matter and I would say return. They do say these days that anything that grades as 68 or better is acceptable in their eyes and won't be replaced. This is where experience comes in and I don't pretend to have it concerning the new rules. I have never sent a proof in for grading that has come back less than 69 so I'm not sure what a 68 would look like. I have a feeling that one tiny mark, scratch or similar would get a coin a 69 so I think it would need to be a lot worse to relegate to a 68.
Therfore, it appears the Mint is saying that a coin has to be pretty bad for them to accept a replacement is necessary.
You may have to be pragmatic and return for a refund if you think they will not replace it.

Hope this helps, others may be able to be more specific.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

2 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

Do you mean the infamous finger condoms?

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

32 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

A sort of rippling effect on the fields is common and doesn't effect grading in my experience. Any kind of scratch, abrasion etc is another matter and I would say return. They do say these days that anything that grades as 68 or better is acceptable in their eyes and won't be replaced. This is where experience comes in and I don't pretend to have it concerning the new rules. I have never sent a proof in for grading that has come back less than 69 so I'm not sure what a 68 would look like. I have a feeling that one tiny mark, scratch or similar would get a coin a 69 so I think it would need to be a lot worse to relegate to a 68.
Therfore, it appears the Mint is saying that a coin has to be pretty bad for them to accept a replacement is necessary.
You may have to be pragmatic and return for a refund if you think they will not replace it.

Hope this helps, others may be able to be more specific.

Thanks greatly appreciated.

11 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

The scratches could very well be from the loose capsule cover grazing the coin while in transit.

If the blemishes bother you so much now, you’ll never be able to love this coin. So just get it replaced - it’s early days.

And cheer up Loki, don’t let this experience sour your taste for Proofs. 🙂

🤣🤣🤣 yeah deffs going back!

16 minutes ago, apachebleu said:

I have a scratched coin too that I'm sending back.

The way I see it is that the mint are charging a huge premium for proof coins so we should expect them to be perfect, if they are scratched then what are we paying for? May as well just buy bullion coins

Yeah that was my initial thoughts and even more so now,completely agree.

Just now, tallthinkev said:

I always film when opening anything I've bought on line. Unscrupulous sellers can say 'So what, you could have faked those photo's.'

Very good advice👍 although I hope the rm won't go down that route 😀