• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1917 Gold Sovereign London Mint.

pricha

5 hours ago, pricha said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403217107399?hash=item5de19cc9c7:g:EJAAAOSwOIhhVvna

I am tempted . Obviously it's slightly worn but a very rare coin. 😏

I really wouldn't, if I were you. It may well be a fake, and even if it isn't, it is of such abysmal quality that I doubt if it would give you lasting satisfaction, let alone pleasure in owning it.

In a slab the label would read something like this :        1917 Sov Brass

Took off mount well rubbed

Very rare

😂😂😂 

24 minutes ago, pricha said:

Granted it's not in the the best condition but still possibly a AU53 on a good day if it was slabbed ?

I am not at all experienced in grading coins, but I would have thought that it was nowhere near an AU53, even on a good day.

Just my twopennyworth.

It may be relevant that the seller has his 100% reputation from being a purchaser of (presumably) a wide variety of items,  not a seller. He may not know much about coins or their sale value.

Another point: how come this coin - if it really is one - is so incredibly worn (and somewhat oddly worn too) when it was supposedly minted in 1917 and gold sovereigns were rather little used in general circulation from that time onwards. I really don't see how the 'wear' can be genuine. There are thousands of genuine George V sovereigns for sale that show much, much less wear, even though some of them from the pre-war years must have had quite a bit of rough use before being stored away.

I'm not very experienced, though I have looked at many hundreds, going back to the mid and later 18th century (for Spain and Portugal), but honestly I have never seen a coin in worse condition. I think it could well be a fake. 

Most 1917 Sovereigns were melted down. This one obviously jumped from the furnace just in time . Therefore i'd say it's even rarer than a decent condition coin. It was also used in jewelry the seller states , and has been well rubbed. It's had a poor life.😢  

O.K. I take your point about rarity, and of course one ought to feel sympathy for awful experiences the coin has suffered, if that is case. Perhaps you will be the ideal therapist for it - but I hope you can purchase it in accordance with its condition. I think the asking price is way OTT. Good luck anyway!

Let’s just say the sovereign is genuine there is no guarantee that is a London minted 1917 and it’s highly likely it isn’t in my opinion.

I know most of the replies are tongue in cheek but there will be somebody somewhere willing to buy it and have their fingers burnt 

Edited by Simmoleon

Personally I have not seen a Sovereign like this before.  For me, there are too many odd things about it to make it a buy. 

Has anyone seen one in such worn condition before?

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

8 minutes ago, Simmoleon said:

Let’s just say the sovereign is genuine there is no guarantee that is a London minted 1917 and it’s highly likely it isn’t in my opinion.

I know most of the replies are tongue and cheek but there will be somebody somewhere willing to buy it and have their fingers burnt 

You sure it's not one of those Christmas chocolate coins?? They are in the supermarkets now....!

It's clearly completely fake. There's nothing remotely genuine about that coin.

@Simmoleon your post reminds me of an old saying I havent thought about for a long while.

'Read the book before you buy the coin'.

It was advice given to me years ago.

Always do your research before throwing your money in. Same with buying cars/property/stocks and shares etc.

On 11/10/2021 at 07:42, pricha said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403217107399?hash=item5de19cc9c7:g:EJAAAOSwOIhhVvna

I am tempted . Obviously it's slightly worn but a very rare coin. 😏

Might as well post a screenshot, for posterity:

1062708083_1917-LSovereignFakeonebay.thumb.jpg.d41649da36d76e2fe2336944205b6110.jpg

The obverse photo looks more revealing:

997290925_1917-LSovereignFakeonebayobv.thumb.jpg.682c0d7043ae62f221a6f31eae4b9180.jpg

Some of the gold plating has worn off, and it does look very coppery, almost as red as a 2021.

In that condition with mediocre photos, it is difficult to be sure about anything.

It may be 91.66% though...

91.66% certain fake, that is.

😎

I think I would rather have a Chinese copy.

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

47 minutes ago, Booky586 said:

Just for comparison, here's another one up for auction at the coin cabinet:

https://auctions.thecoincabinet.com/lots/view/4-3T4Q8B/1917-gold-sovereign-pcgs-ms62-1593646-agw02355-oz

yeah ok, a bit better😁

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon